Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
From the previous thread:

Random Stranger posted:

The way it worked is during one of the regenerations, the Doctor regenerated into two Doctors. That's what happens when Time Lords are cut in half.

There, now I've fixed all of the continuity problems.
I'm now imagining the Doctor having a Final Destination death, like the guy who gets sliced in half by a wire fence in FD2.

Don't fly the TARDIS behind a log truck, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
He might believe in kindness, compassion and mercy, but he still acts like an abusive rear end in a top hat to people for no reason. That to me was the offputting thing about Twelve - he's a bully, insulting and belittling even people who've done nothing wrong and are on his side simply because he thinks they're beneath him intellectually. If someone had punched him in the face after he gave them poo poo, he would have deserved it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hey guys heads up Gareth Roberts wanted to be part of 9/11 but he couldn't because he slept in.
What, like Peter O'hanraha-hanranan?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Master's entire deal is "Didn't you die?" "Nnnnnnope!" :haw:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Astroman posted:

He's a helluva actor. He was great on Law and Order: UK. That's what I know him from.
I loved that L&O:UK had in its cast a former Doctor, a former companion and a future companion (but not the one you would have expected).

Edit: huh, did not know that Chibnall was an executive producer. That explains how he got to know Bradley Walsh...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I had the novelisation of 'The Moonbase' decades before I actually saw the story, so in my head everything was far grander than what was on the screen, which came as a faintly disappointing surprise.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Don't know if this says more about me than the writing, but the bit in 'New Earth' where everyone started singing, that apparently was meant to show human resilience and unity under pressure? I thought they were under some kind of evil religious mind control.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Edward Mass posted:

That was ‘Gridlock’, the sequel from the following season.
Oh yeah, huh. Forgot there were two not very good far-future stories with cat people.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TinTower posted:

Even with the noncey vibes from Evans marrying someone half his age (Billie had just turned eighteen when they started dating, IIRC), on balance he’s still most likely a better person than her second husband.
Evans seems like a nasty, bullying egotist, but at least he's not a straight-up fascist!

It doesn't say much for Piper's bad-person alarms, though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cleretic posted:

I say that a lot of Flux just commits the sin of being forgettable despite the material, but I feel like that can't be right because this clip reminded me that there was an entire Wild West-centered episode with Eleven that I actually did forget.
I visited the place where that was filmed (Texas Hollywood, in Almeria, Spain) in 2016, and wondered why there was one building that looked very much out of place. It wasn't until much later that I made the connection. So they went to all the time and expense and trouble of travelling to Spain to shoot an episode that was forgotten five minutes after it aired.

It also showed how infrequently westerns are shot in Almeria now, since four years later it still wasn't worth their while to strip the steampunk stuff from the standing set.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Coward posted:

Poor Saward, stuck as script editor for a main character who didn't like shooting people.
"Look, all I ever wanted was to be in charge of writing a science fiction show where I could put a morally compromised man of violence who shoots lots of people at the centre of the action.

And then I ended up as script editor of Doctor Who. WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME, FATE?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Finally watched this, and :stare:

It's a trailer that does the exact opposite of what a trailer is meant to do, in that it's put me off ever wanting to see the thing it's advertising. Impressive!

(Maybe Quirky Quippington the universe's greatest assassin will actually turn out to be an all-time classic DW character. But I'm willing to wait for the judgement of history on that.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

How somebody responsible for some of my favorite ever television comedies could be such an unrepentant pile of poo poo depresses the gently caress out of me :sigh:
You just have to think of it as him being partly responsible. He did the bits between the laughs.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Harlock posted:

I know it's not a basketball, but confirmed the 9th Doctor can hoop.
White men can't jump. :colbert:

[Skips forward a few regenerations]

Okay, you got me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

ST Picard is doing an excellent job of delivering absolute nostalgia-driven fanslop with almost zero coherence. At least Voyager had episode storylines that said things.
Picard is like a comic-book MEGA EVENT written by an ultrafan who has decided that a throwaway line of dialogue 137 issues prior will be the key that brings back 17 old villains to fight the heroes. And all these secondary characters will come back for cameos - oh no, they've been killed off to raise the stakes because this is DARK and SERIOUS! You will not believe how HUGE and SHOCKING every single plot twist is! You won't see them coming because I am so clever and the guardian of the franchise and look I just want people to acknowledge how brilliant I am!!!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

The theme from Shaft started playing in my head when I saw this.
The theme from Department S for me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Deep Breath was absolute pure garbage until the restaurant scene. The restaurant scene was amazing. Everything after was pretty good too.

Dunno how Moffat fumbled that opening so badly.
I've often wondered if he came up with the story as a standard-length 45-minute episode, or maybe with an extra five or ten minutes as a BIG EVENT... then the BBC said "Big event, eh? Good idea! We have a 75-minute slot for you!" followed by Moffat muttering "Oh, arse" and hurriedly reopening Final Draft to insert 20 extra blank pages at the start with 'FILL THIS' on each one.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Random Stranger posted:

I just got the first Doctor season two blu ray set and I popped in the first disk. And there's a reconstruction of Planet of Giants? What's that about? Put on the documentary about the reconstruction, the first thing that popped up is Ian Levine, and I went, "You know, it's okay. I'll just watch the original version."

FWIW, it's because the original story was cut down from four episodes to three, so there was an attempt to edit together an episode 3 and 4 based on the original script.
Is that the one that's endlessly padded out with the same closeup of the villain's mad staring eyes? They did the right thing by compressing it, IMO.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ugh, "Dr Who" was trending on Twitter earlier. RTD teasing spoilers? A pic of the new TARDIS interior?

Nope, bigots and blueticks ranting about "wokery" and how they'll never watch the show again. It's transphobia.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Y'know, I'd take any number of bloviating windbags like the Shadow thesping pompously away over another alien/far-future/different-culture character who talks like a modern-day Londoner. (Drax may well have started the trend, ironically.) It's about gravitas, luvvie!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I actually did a Prisoner rewatch when I bought the Blu-Ray, but stalled out once the only episodes left were McGoohan and Leo McKern shouting "Six!" at each other for an age, and the finale. Which, sure, has to be seen to be believed, but even so...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Immediately after regenerating, the new Doctor keeps lopping bits off and putting them in jars because they might be useful someday.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, it was completely carried by his performance.

Sherlock started so strong and by the end it was so bad :smith:

At least I still have the boxset of the old Jeremy Brett series :hellyeah:
It got so terrible by the end I never bothered watching the final episode, and I doubt I missed anything worthwhile.

It's mindblowing how it went from the hottest thing on television to a nonsensical self-congratulatory mess in such a small number of episodes, even if they were spread over far too many years. But hey, Moffat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What if it begins as a spring?