Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Emerson Cod posted:

I'll be here for questions or posting as tapesfromthefuture on Reddit.

seems doubtful https://www.reddit.com/r/TapesFromTheFuture/

also is this a "stared into the abyss too long" thing or a "gave my account away for a laugh" thing:
1: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3971239&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post515638101
2: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3971239&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post515638252

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Astroman posted:

I love that they literally did that with Dhawan's Master.

He's a helluva actor. He was great on Law and Order: UK. That's what I know him from.

I think this is pretty much dead, as it would imply that Missy knew about Gallifrey being destroyed and all the Timeless Child stuff. Once it was shown the current Master was involved in all that, it kinda killed the idea that he was a pre-Missy incarnation. Like why would Missy just sit on that knowledge when dealing with a previous incarnation of the Doctor?

Her memory had gaps when it came to the Simm incarnation, it's enough of an opening to get handwavey about memory loss in this case too. Or maybe she was sitting on that information until the time was just right to drop it, but by then her thinking had already started to turn around. Whatever, it wouldn't be the most bullshitty thing the show had pulled, particularly after Chibnall.

I also didn't like how "the search for Gallifrey" as a hoon was dropped almost immediately, given the excitement Eleven was showing. Seems like the kind of space that Big Finish could explore, if they had a mind to and could get Smith on board.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The Cyberlords glimpsed Ashildr/Me sitting in the ruins of Gallifrey at the end of the universe and accepted the potential of infinitely life-prolonging implants which they had previously disdained. Perversely freed, in at least one respect, from their self-imposed cultural and developmental stasis, they indulge in ever more esoteric and profane meldings of Loom-spun flesh and outrageous chronomachinery. A second Time War is threatened, not from war with or threats to convert any lesser species, but from a project to re-engineer the universe from first principles to be supremely hospitable to the Cyberlords, and only to them.

Ten trillion years of absolute power: that's what it takes to truly SSSZZZURVIVE

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 6, 2022

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Mark Gatiss, too.

I'm ashamed to say I don't recognize most of the ones on the bottom, though I assume at least a few of them are the Morbius doctors, judging from the rockin' 70's hair.

edit:
vvvv Ah, well okay then, that's more faces than I remember but that scene is always a bit of a blur of facial hair in my recollections.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 12, 2023

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The ending to the whole Impossible Astronaut/Death of the Doctor plotline had the Doctor deciding that maybe he was drawing too much attention with his grandiose antics and should act more secretively, stop bellowing out his name at every opportunity, let people forget about the Doctor.

Like the Search for Gallifrey, this resolution did not last beyond the end of that very episode/season.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The Girl Who Waited? Only one person is at stake and there's an extra one of her, so...

More seriously though I think that was a case where the new series wrung some excellent drama out of a premise where it's just one person's life at stake, but with incredibly difficult choices to be made that reveal a lot about all three of the core characters and also create irreparable rifts between them.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

He's the Valeyard

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Agree, it's more plausible than whenever the Doctor takes "readings" with the sonic and squints at it as though it has the world's tiniest display screen etched somewhere we can't see.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

It would be nice if Tennant gets to at least play him slightly differently, if only to be unburdened by the Time Lord Victorious stuff. Let him stretch the character a bit. But I don't expect it to be too different, of course, because

Class3KillStorm posted:

that's the poo poo that still sells).

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Don't know why it made me think of it, but the splayed bits are kind of reminiscent of when they had those splayed strips of plastic come out the end of the Dalek blasters sometimes.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Gatiss fell off so hard after that, it's so disappointing. Unquiet Dead is one of my early favorites too, a great nod to the Holmes era's horror-esque serials, tight script, no annoying elements, I wish more eps had been like that throughout.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Missy should meet all the Scottish doctors.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Just as two negatives make a positive, the FLOOKS reversed the loss of that whole chunk of the universe in Logopolis

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Been a while since I've seen Logopolis too but I do recall they even may have put a percentage on the proportion of the universe that was lost, somewhere around 30%. It all basically happens in dialog, gazing into the little TARDIS viewscreen, so easy to miss.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

They knew, they were just being dicks again. "Okay, fine, [mashes random keys loudly] he has more regenerations now. Please hold for a customer satisfaction survey"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

A one-off Big Finish had that as a plot point, where a Time Lord was stranded on a planet and regenerated to look like the local sapient humanoid-ish species. It would make sense to be able to do so in cases where the Time Lord is in continuing mortal danger among people who don't really look human/Time Lord.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

PriorMarcus posted:

RTD says he's met a lot of people who are now in the industry who say Doctor Who Confidential giving them an idea of how BTS worked inspired them.

It's well-timed too, what with the US writers' strikes being heavily driven by the need to return to getting them involved in productions, writers' rooms, etc., and away from the (lovely, exploitative) model defined by the streaming companies. I'm sure RTD has his eye on the ball in using BTS to make sure that the labour-friendly model stays appealing, and remains entrenched in the UK (and internationally).

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Can't help thinking that Colin Baker's voice as it is now would be perfect for that rendering of the character.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

That is completely bananas

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Khanstant posted:

Now I'm wondering if 14 will be a distinct character or personality from 10.

I've been hoping so too (maybe even using his native accent), but it really isn't seeming like that will be the case. Might change over the course of the specials, of course, and I think he'll be a bit different given the overarching plot and RTD getting some distance from the character in the intervening years, but we'll see.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Jerusalem posted:

He's so YOUNG! :stare:

Shame there's no indication Alex Kingston has been cast for the specials, given that's one of the first things River Song said to him (though the "well, his eyes looked old because he knew what happens to her" thing worked well enough). Well, it'll happen in Big Finish sooner or later I guess.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Clouseau posted:

I suspect that RTD will do the same thing he did last time and flatten and avoid continuity/heavy nostalgia appeals in an effort to not lose a large audience.

Sure. But it doesn't even have to be continuity-heavy or even an extensive appearance or anything other than unmentioned subtext, the sort of thing a million nerd sites would write "10 Easter Eggs You Missed in the Doctor Who Specials" which 99.999% of the world rightfully ignore anyway.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

That full RTD quote read pretty clearly to me that he's just not ever going to bring it up, which, good enough for me.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I'm fine if he just never brings in the Timelords altogether, they've just been crap every time they're on screen after War Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVeTVt0ueXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFa-zwXgV3A

Some things never change, whether it's who's playing the Doctor or trying to line up regeneration transitions

The beard is such a great look for Tennant these days, I wish they'd gone with that for Fourteen (and his native accent).