Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
he looked for like 15 minutes when everyone was out on a picnic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Extremely terrible idea: Fourteen decorates the TARDIS exterior like a nerd decorates the back of their laptop.

It starts with a St John's Ambulance logo, but every single story they add another sticker from wherever they went until eventually you can only vaguely tell the space under them is meant to be blue.

the tardis could use some wheels. even though it can go anywhere, a lot of the time they still end up going to it. if the tardis had wheels they could use a sonic app to have it drive around to be close when they need to run for it and also it won't show up itself for whatever reason.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just hope they don't try and make every episode a bigger and bigger escalating deal, I want some episodes where they fart around history and basically nothing happens, but in a chill way, not in the "a bunch of destructive stuff happened but also it's nothing and doesn't matter"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Honestly, I think there are probably six or so good episodes in the Chibnall run, almost all of them in the first season. Rosa,

This is weird to read since that is clearly the worst episode of all doctor who

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cool suit, wish there was a little more contrast with the pants but i love the orange/brown combo, especially against a blue tardis

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa Graham is in this show called Chaser or something, but he's suddenly young.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish to wipe my memory of Doctor Who and get to fill this gap with a series of brand-new doctors who who will be my favourite for as long as I'm watching their run and one episode after

oh and to meet cassandra for the first time again

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Usually you don't have to dread Disney until they actually somehow come to own something they have no business owning but given the time travel nature of DW it seems we can now experience that dread in an exciting new order.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I blame them for the old problems too

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I already want their company to be broken up and their IP forcibly added to the public domain. what's the problem with adding some more ire to the pile. Not like it's important who we blame here if we don't like the new episodes. there's no bonus to most-accurate-blaming-during-mudslinging

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was there any speculation or casting of the next Master?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I hope they don't. He was great in the role and deserves some great stories and some closure before we move on to the next.

I wrote him off as dead but having given it a second moment's thought, this version was the Rasputin version and I'd be a fool to think he dead/regenerated.

I also thought he was great in the role but I guess they always get someone who is. Least I can't recall any

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yes I know a large chunk of the Pertwee era he was stuck on Earth and also didn't remember how to use the TARDIS

Oh this has my interest, that's a fun concept. I liked when the Doctor took long term residence until the end of his life that one time. What's the best of Resident Earth Who edit: gonna watch spearhead from space

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 16, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

I just went down a big rabbit hole of wondering if ancient Venus had ever appeared in Doctor Who, and was a little surprised by how little it's been used as a location, with just occasional references in the TV show and some Big Finish and other written material doing stories.

Wonder if there's a reason they've never done it in the show. Romping around the ancient jungles of Venus sounds like good fun.

I'd love to see one of the far future humanity eras have a colonized and terraformed Venus. I think even some of these crazy geoengineering projects required to terraform the planet could make interesting settings or plot points in a Who episode. I've been wanting some Venus settings and colonies ever since watching this goofy video on how maybe to pull it off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WO-z-QuWI

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Forktoss posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1616165629475651586

...except Colin still doesn't have his coat! Come on!!

most of the time the Doctor feels like a human to me, this is one little thing I think they could really play up to make the Doctor feel a bit alien and give companions' humanness to shine. Have the Doctor and some other species be slow to see certain patterns that seem obvious to humans

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that thing where a song takes several listens before you like it, but it's the concept of music itself

"It's just random words over a bunch of noise, what's the-- oh. Wait. ...Wait a minute."

Oh man, we've never had a Musical episode of Doctor Who! There's a million ways to set it up. Have no theatre kids grown worked on Who and wanted to sneak in some musical theatre? Honestly probably should've had the musical episode when friggin River Song/Melody Pond were around, its right there!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
delightful! love how almost every shot has some revolvers flopping around, and i think i saw the doctor with a gun too lol. since there is a history of musical in Doctor Who we are long overdue.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
does the UK have any wrestlers turned actors who could make for a good Muscle Doctor?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Each doctor is something between a baby genius newborn and infinitely old demigod so it's always a bit weird when he gets flirty with whatever kid he picks up for a couple seasons.

Between River and Clara, the Doctor has enough women tangled up in a timely wimey way with his own timeline. Cool if they lay off the doctor romances for a bit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe that could be a good Master plot, just to humble The Doctor. Show the Doctor an alternate universe where the Doctor or even Time lords in general depending on which origin they go with, and everything is just fine, nearly the same with different solutions not involving a random time Traveller interfering. But maybe that's going too far so they can just make it a trick of the Master and have a montage of people saying naw Doctor good and helped me it's cool, play the music: kick Master rear end.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
objectively speaking, are daleks or cybermen better at dying? which sides dies more often and more importantly, which side has more of those deceased stay dead?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Need a source for that last claim

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Feel like the best a Doctor Who game could possibly be would just be some elaborate version of playing through a good episode or story as a point-and-click or adventure game. Something linear, where maybe you can feel clever now and the noticing something before the Doctor does, playing as the companion. Unless they got really high-concept and had the story be about a videogame itself in some way, I have a hard time imagining a good Doctor Who videogame that wouldn't work just as well or better as non-interactive media.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lmao 51!?! I would have guessed 30s, early 40s max.

and he was 36 the first time around! haha I thought he was in his 20s

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if alternate-human-doctor and Rose have a bunch of baby docs running around.

I also forget, was that an alternate universe just without a Doctor but still all the tin can aliens and foes?

Okay so human-doctor and Rose do have a child, and "Pete's World" does have various threats plus the rose's dad inventing cyberman stuff. Rose and human Doctor get up to various adventures as well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Seeing some rumors that UNIT is getting a spinoff TV series

Thank you, saw some clickbaits about it but none wit hthe info in the headline and I didn't want to fall in their trap. Was curious about it though.

I watched some of Torchwood. I don't remember hating it but mostly I don't remember it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is the Among Us subtitle for SEO gaming?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can we work Inspector Spacetime into the canon as well?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ooh fifty posts must be some juicy news.... Oh...

Oh dear

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was late to the party, even for nuWho standards (seems like a third era will begin with the new doctor). My stepdad kinda liked the originals and I saw a few random ones over the years but never got sucked in and then I can't remember how but I started watching one of the newest seasons or currently airing one, pretty sure when Matt Smith was in America and there's the astronaut and... A lot. So I figured I should probably go back to the start, but that was an unfathomable amount of show to catch up and a lot of it at the time was more lost than some stuff still is today? So I ended up starting at Eccelston, I didn't like him at first or didn't think I did until I was gutted when he died and I definitely didn't like this next stranger showing up in his shoes, and then I loved that Doctor and every other since. Except now I'm always excited to see someone else's take on the character even if I'll miss the old one. Helps knowing that the show will probably find a way to bring most of em back for cameos or specials someday, and if I ever get really homesick for a doctor, endless Big Fish radio shows and stories for basically everyone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Big TV problem in general lately, least in stuff I watch. They really overestimate how much the stakes matter, when routinely lower stakes with greater character and story focus produces better media almost always. There's no useful or meaningful way to depict that scale of threat or even the reaction to it, on top of those stakes being untenably high once you examine what the supposed consequences are and how they'd even possibly occur if the heroes don't do whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To large extent I can write off some of that as continuity sacrifice in a properly episodic show. Rather have some writers not bother keeping track of some important scarcity ep to ep, season to season if they're all actually trying to write an episode and do some plots that start and finish within that episode. I'll take that over this crap where the whole season is just one long two-parter-at-best plot's worth of ideas stretched across ten eps.

The bigger problem is a more general failure to ever utilize any of the interesting parts of Voyager's premise, except maybe that time they speedran the premise in Year of Hell really aggressively almost out of spite, like trying to show us a good time to make us not want it anymore?

In Who we've recently had most the entire universe "permanently destroyed but eh probably not" as if the classic war of time itself or whatever wasn't enough so I'm probably fine with absurdly inflated stakes in Who more than most places, long as they do it in one episode rather than try to flux it up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's very Doctor Whoy and I love it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Which Doctor is the biggest rear end?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
2024 like january 1st or 2024 like halfway through

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

8th Doctor: All living beings have values, nobody is beyond redemption.
Frank walks into Paddy's

I'd love this crossover for so many reasons but I'd also be interested in a story of somebody beyond redemption but I guess Doctor already can't reach that point with the Master or plenty of other eat bastards so probably nothing there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How about a normal Dalek but it's covered in human skin and hair. Does this make them scarier?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How many Doctors can you make by chopping one up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doctor needs an Arthur Dentish companion. Someone who'd really rather not be there but can't really go home either.