Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Worth mentioning that Paul McGann is still a handsome bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Oh Caitlin was the younger version of Amy from the Eleventh Hour

....and she is now almost as old as Karen Gillan was when she was introduced as Amelia.

God drat, I'm getting ancient.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hear me out on this- new Romana

Yes!!

There is no reason to not bring her back and have two time-lords tackling problems on a equal footing! That would be awesome!

edit: :sickos: :sickos: :sickos:

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 4, 2023

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Chibnal: "95% of the budget goes to CGI."

Davies: "95% of the budget goes to wardrobe."

Davies is right.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Narsham posted:

It all falls apart if you think about it. People fall through the cracks and are erased from time and memory, but Prisoner Zero can travel through one and escape, and it goes unnoticed not because of any property of the crack but due to a perception filter (that it abandons for some reason because two people got around it).

All the birds at the pond got eaten by the crack for some reason and that means no additional birds show up in this location in future but plenty of birds still exist.

The most baffling bit is the thought that it becomes common knowledge that the Doctor and the TARDIS are connected with the cracks, but evidently only the Doctor’s enemies know and they set a trap to stop him. None of his friends ever ring him up and say “the TARDIS seems to be unravelling the fabric of space-time, maybe have that checked?”

Moffat gets away with it because you don’t have the context to see the problem until the finale, and it’s so satisfying that you are likely to say it justifies the elements that retroactively don’t make sense. Honestly, Prisoner Zero could have told the Doctor the cracks were his fault in a way we wouldn’t believe and the whole season still works, but Moffat loves his mysteries.

While we're thinking things through, I've always been a bit worried about Capaldi's first episode Deep Breath where it implies he maybe mugs that old distressed guy... what was that about 😞

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Oh drat.

MTG with another set of cards that almost makes me want to spend my money on a game I haven't played since highschool all because of the cool art.

This time it's four Doctor Who commander decks.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/allons-y-on-october-13-celebrate-60-years-of-doctor-who-through-magic

Man, that's a rocking Davros!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Matinee posted:

The thing that seems to get missed in conversations about Tennant coming back is that Gatwa already had filming commitments that meant he couldn’t make the 60th anniversary filming block.

If RTD’s choices were to do nothing for the 60th, or pull the trigger on a second-best-choice for Doctor, or bring back one (or possibly more! Who knows!) fan favourite old actors for the specials, he made the right one imo.

My absolute favourite moment in Power of the Doctor was Ruth walking into the room with the master and taking just a tiny moment to survey it with a "can't-help-myself,-I'm-going-to-enjoy-this" smile. It was the Doctor that I wanted all through 13's run and I'd watch a special centred around her.

Edit: I would throw it all away in a heartbeat for the Eighth Doctor

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 16, 2023

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I know Timelords have two farts, but is that like, per normal fart or two farts per regeneration or what?

I can't give you an answer, but I promise you that there is fanfiction out there somewhere that covers this exact scenario.

Probably includes the Ogri.

Also I'd watch an Ogri/Weeping Angels crossover.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I met Bonnie Langford once, she is TINY.

*me thinking, oh, how tall is she*...

of course there's a webpage dedicated to Dr Who companions and their heights. Random dude, why do you have to be in every photo. Which one of you is this? :stare:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

When Capaldi's Doctor was strutting the electric guitar, I didn't realise he did music...

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

He was so good. I can't think of a good moment in Whittaker's run where she just talked and captured the room - I rewatched the Zygon double and Capaldi had me on the edge of my seat during his antiwar speech.

This moment in Deep Breath too where he starts out by saying he's afraid he's going to have to kill the villan, and does so just by taking to him about the reality of his situation.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Season 11, Episode 7: Kerblam!
Written by Pete McTighe, Directed by Jennifer Perrott

Kerblam! summary...

https://i.imgur.com/p2yKcwQ.mp4

Index of Doctor Who Write-ups for Television Episodes/Big Finish Audio Stories.

For the record, I really like your reviews, and when I sat down for a break with a fresh cup of coffee, I was very happy to see this!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

BooDooBoo posted:

They got the budget of a more expensive show, Maid Marian And Her Merry Men, because the creator of that show made took a year-off to do a Bible show instead.

I believe there was a time-factor involved as well, any other year it wouldn't have got made.

It's Pancake Day!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I wish it was easier to find the stuff like that that Tony Robinson did. Fat Tulip, Odysseus, etc.

I loved that Odysseus tv show which was just him walking around telling the story!

...now I've got to give this a listen!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Daleks are the hardest to swallow as universal threat. They're just too stupid and easily tricked, and it's often unclear how they really get anything done. They're a good villain and all, just that scale gets a bit absurd for a creature that's a walking gun, and not an invincible one.

Cyberman are goobers too but I can at least imagine them opening a door.

Always found Daleks most menacing with Davros at the helm.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

I'm interested in what people thought of Turlough. I liked the idea of having a companion whose loyalty was questionable but, hmm...

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Invisible Enemy has some great model work at least.

...and introduced K9 too. Surely every Dr Who fan has a soft spot for K9.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

...to be honest, I'm looking more forwards to seeing Catherine Tate back than I am David Tennant :shrug:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Rochallor posted:

New title theme: remember when it was 2006 and you didn't have any responsibilities and life was so much simpler? No because I had a job already and also I wasn't watching Doctor Who yet. Anyway it's literally just the OG revival theme.

15's theme: I like this in isolation but I can't imagine it fitting organically into most situations

Ruby's theme: Nothing's ever going to top Clara('s theme) but this is pretty darn good

I really like Clara's theme too. Gives me a strong "that quiet moment before heading off on an adventure with an old friend" vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqAblY4tWJo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Since it gives us Catherine Tate back I guess I'll accept Tennant back too.

edit: she was only 37 when she first guest-starred and that makes me feel old

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 26, 2023