Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I’d say the worse crime of Chibnall was having the Master say “oh yeah, I found Gallifrey, but I killed everyone, they’re all Cybermen now btw. This all happened off-screen”.

Kind of undoes a lot of the Time War arc that spanned both RTD and Moffat’s eras, the closest thing to a proper through-line that the whole revival has had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Like, that was the one thread that tied together Eccleston, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi (and Hurt!), each actor building on how the character thought about Gallifrey, the Time War, their part in it, their relationship with home, the push and pull of yearning for the Time Lords but knowing how dangerous they had become….

all thrown away for a bit of delivered out-of-nowhere exposition that only put across “hey, the master is like, evil”.

Ugh.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

A diamond. Of course.

RTD’s semiotics game on point lately.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

According to Bob Mortimer, Chris Evans is himself one of those people who find it hilarious to get their cock out and put it on people’s shoulder etc.

One imagines Piper was pretty tired of the bit by the time she was on Doctor Who.

E: they’re bad, but I will defend the Daleks In Manhattan episodes if only for the moment when one of the Daleks checks there’s no-one listening behind him.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 27, 2022

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The thing that seems to get missed in conversations about Tennant coming back is that Gatwa already had filming commitments that meant he couldn’t make the 60th anniversary filming block.

If RTD’s choices were to do nothing for the 60th, or pull the trigger on a second-best-choice for Doctor, or bring back one (or possibly more! Who knows!) fan favourite old actors for the specials, he made the right one imo.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Thats a good shout and I'd love a pure Ruth Doctor episode one day, but I also wouldn't want RTD's first episodes to have anything to do with ChibnalLore

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Is Big Finish's The Prisoner stuff any good?

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The whole “Timeless Child/Master’s Entirely Off-Screen Genocide Of The Timelords” thing really reads as the work of a showrunner who doesn’t really care about lore etc.

It reads as something from the hypothetical Eighth Doctor US series, had the TV Movie gone to season.

And yet, and yet, Chibnall clearly cares about lore and the fictional universe. Truly baffling, the whole thing.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Digging the waistcoat look on Tennant, and also the general “silly sci-fi bollocks” vibe of it all.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

the whole "don't cremate me" thing is really weird looking back on it - it doesn't really go anywhere or factor into any characters' schemes or motivations, it just feels like a jarringly edgelord concept bunged in there for no reason, and really sticks out given Moffat's usual semi-fairytale tone.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It wasn't even a crucial plot point iirc, it was just a little smug "aha" moment at the end of the first episode to show how clever his "Sherlock Holmes meets Hannibal Lecter but even smarter than both COMBINED" character was. Said character then spent the rest of the series figuring out another mystery that had, if possible, an even more bollocks solution.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Its a concept Moffat loved so much that he reused it wholesale in his Dracula TV series.

Oh god, you’re absolutely right. I’d blanked most of that dreadful last episode out of my mind. I thought the first two were actually fairly decent but they just couldn’t resist jumping to “what if Dracula had tinder?”

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Tucci was good fun to watch in that series, at least, and I’m sure Moffat had half an eye on another season with him - lest we forget the post-credits scene where the tutor character, presumably fresh from a horrific and traumatising kidnapping experience, visits Tucci in his American jail and coolly asks for his help in murdering her husband

:psyduck:

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Good to see the detail of a "Christmas special" there too, hopefully back in the big primetime Christmas Day BBC1 slot.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It seems like a nice way to spotlight the work of the huge amount of (incredibly skilled, no matter what role) work that goes in to tv/film production. RTD seems like a real “don’t pull the ladder up behind you” kind of guy.

It’s an almost an anachronism these days. The decision to do Confidential back in the mid 00s was in the heyday of DVDs having some sort of BTS short as table stakes. One of the many things that streaming took from us. I’m very glad RTD was able to get it commissioned.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Personally I'd like there to be a bit more synth in the mix, but that rules.

e: Love how prominent the choral elements are, I inherited a love of Welsh Choirs from my father

Matinee fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 12, 2023

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Heaven Sent really is lightning in a bottle (episode). I really hope RTD, a decade and a half on from writing Midnight - the previous best bottle episode - is going to try and flex and surpass it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Let's not forget that RTD also once wrote, on the topic of canon, "Paul McGann doesn't count".

In Queer As Folk, about 25 years ago :v: