Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Narsham posted:

It's troubling, because I don't want to be policing people's language ITT or making anyone feel bad or trying to pit one aspect of queerness against another. But after seeing this, I can't unsee it, so I'm offering it to others here as food for thought.

It's pretty good food for thought! But I gotta say I had not perceived this incarnation of the Doctor as asexual and I feel like if we were meant to think so, it might've been more underlined? (I'll admit that most of Chibnall's era hasn't been memorable to me, so I might just have forgotten all of it) but I did think that Yaz's emotions were foregrounded. A person coming to terms that they're not only queer but they're in love with a partially-distant alien felt like a pretty amazing emotional plot for the show and I thought it was barely resolved or adressed. It almost felt like the Yaz stuff in the previous episodes didn't happen (like the Timeless Children stuff!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Russell T Davies returns to Dark Season as an audio...with Kate Winslet???

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/kate-winslet-stars-in-russell-t-davies-new-audio-drama

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Ruby Sunday is an extremely good companion/RTD type of name.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Dabir posted:

Right, the only reason the year of specials was that way was that Tennant was off doing plays and stuff. The BBC side was fully prepared for a full season.

RTD talks about that in the Writers Tale, having the show cool off a bit allowed it to come back as an event.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

I wish it was a tad more costumier but it looks great!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

SimplyCosmic posted:

They ... They're doing the plot from the 1984 Marvel Doctor Who comic in one of these?

(Earth-5556 for MCU multiverse)

He just had to go deeper to out-nerd the other showrunners' continuity references!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I am genuinely impressed that Disney managed to make Star Wars so bad that it made people think fondly of the prequels.

On the internet, maybe but not in the actual real world. People loved Force Awakens, but their sequels pretty much faded from collective (non-terminally online) memory.
The Mandalorian is a massive hit, Baby Yoda an instant sensation and pretty much made Disney+ what it is right now. Andor is one of the best TV things this year.
Despite the quality of Obi-Wan and Book Of Boba, Disney has hardly made Star Wars "bad".

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Disney had planned to do one Star Wars movie every year, so the fact they have basically abandoned the cinematic element of the franchise for the foreseeable future should be a pretty clear indicator that things haven't exactly been going to plan for the House of Mouse with that particular IP

I mean, that's true but they're making very popular shows on Disney +, so it's not like the ship has sunk either.

Trying to put out a Star Wars movie every year was a mistake because the movies are built in a way that's hard to make well every year (even the shows barely manage to be yearly) and they soured the well with Rise Of Skywalker (a film that I believe no one likes, but non-nerdy audience just sort of forgot about). But there are still popular cartoons and video games still coming out! The new Jedi Order sequel trailer was one of the most awaited things at the last Game Awards. The movies are in a slump, but Star Wars overall isn't really in trouble.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm just chuckling at how, in the last thread when it was reported Disney had actual financial input into the show, I got told that was fear-mongering nonsense and clearly untrue, Disney only had the rights to stream the episodes outside of the UK. And then it turned out that whoops, yes, Disney is actually contributing to the budget of the show. And now that it's being reported that Disney requested changes that RTD was perfectly happy to comply with--and not changes due to violent or adult tone or content, but because something wasn't "fun" enough in Disney's view, whatever that means--people are falling over themselves to justify how that's fine too. :rolleyes:

I hope the series and whatever spinoffs RTD comes up with justify y'all's faith in him, and that the show gets a chance to be good once again; lord knows you guys deserve it after Chibnall's run. That said, you'll forgive me if I'm just the tiniest bit cynical about the whole thing.

So if we're scapegoating Disney no matter what, what are we doing with Andor, then? Some corporate entity gave Tony Gilroy 200 millions dollars to make 12 episodes of the poo poo he loves to do, but in a Star Wars setting, and it's some of the best tv in years. Is that good Disney or bad Disney? Or is it Lucasfilm? Which is it if we're fearmongering every single thing that has to do with Disney?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Andor is great, primarily because you had a creator with a strong vision of what they wanted to do. Incidentally, the only reason Gilroy got involved with the show is that Disney asked him to take a look at their original concept and he savaged it so bad that they retooled the entire series and brought him on board. I trust RTD to do that sort of thing, mostly becausehe'sbeen doing this for over 20 years. But we've already seen what happens when you give it to somebody who is only interested in filling time and will just nod along to whatever slop the investors want.

Of course! And they knew Gilroy could do it because he did it on Rogue One. When they hit a snag, it feels like Lucasfilm goes to steady hands to make sure the shows/movies are done (sometimes it turns out well, sometimes it doesn't).
Like, I'm not saying Disney as a company isn't bad or doesn't do bad stuff in other spheres but when it's about the production of shows so far, it always seems like it comes from the production companies actually making the shows. Like, I'm not sure Disney goes in and says "put a young Leia in Obi-Wan".

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
RTD confirms that Who spin-offs are indeed coming!

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/russell-t-davies-nolly-doctor-who-interview-2023

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Looks like a guy who had a whole bunch of kids!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

Any chance of the writers strike have any effect on the show?

Not an american production, so it seems unlikely.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Is Ncuti Gatwa gonna have a different (real awesome) look each episode??

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1656343357931520022

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Specials' titles revealed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpHEh5ZnQMo

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I mean, I know Twitter was not a great place, but ever since Musk, I could kinda be on it without seeing the internet's worst opinions about fan-stuff. No such luck anymore.
I'm getting the worst terf takes from the dumbest people in the world right into a pricy telephone that I agree to have at all times with me!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Gosling seems like the type of guy who'd love to be in a big monster costume and do a weird voice.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Payndz posted:

I actually did a Prisoner rewatch when I bought the Blu-Ray, but stalled out once the only episodes left were McGoohan and Leo McKern shouting "Six!" at each other for an age, and the finale. Which, sure, has to be seen to be believed, but even so...

Yeah, I absolutely love that the Prisoner ends in a batshit crazy way, props to all of them to follow their bliss but at the same time, I'm like "something with a bit more sense wouldn't hurt either".

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

So we're not getting three series with him?

It's not specified, but I believe season 1 and 2 are almost made back-to-back?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
RTD has said that he looks upon the current Star Trek shows with envy, citing that there's continuous Star Trek happening, but all different tv shows from each other. I think that would be a likely strategy for Doctor Who, he'd want the Cardiff studio working all year round, like back in the day.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1717254709881315797

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
An uphill battle? The reaction to his return has been massively positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

That full RTD quote read pretty clearly to me that he's just not ever going to bring it up, which, good enough for me.

Absolutely. And why would he? He barely ever touched the Doctor's origins and mythos in the first place. Mythological backstory is something nerds like us love to quibble over, but he's never been interested in making that the dramatic thrust of his stories.