Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Continueing discussion from previous regeneration of this thread:

fractalairduct posted:

I don't think there are any bad episodes in season 4. (Unless you count Voyage of the Damned as part of that season).

You know, I'd actually not argue with that, or at least not too strenuously! Wikipedia reckons Voyage of the Damned does belong with that season, but I personally always kind of associate specials with the season before them more than the season after them, and wikipedia is essentially just Some rear end in a top hat we dont need to listen to. I will say I found The Unicorn and The Wasp to be really disappointing, but I'd need to rewatch it to remember if its because its actually bad or if its just a bit meh and I didnt like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

I think their logic comes from the fact that the specials are usually bundled in with the season that follows them on DVD releases and the like.

If I know wikipedia, and I absolutely dont, there are probably pages and pages of arguement somewhere between a handful of people who reverted changes about this one minor issue back and forth multiple times a day for years before the rest of the editors threw up their hands and laid down a ruling about it.

Personally I'd be more inclined to "which seasons production budget did they come out of?" rather than the DVD release, but I dont if that information is available or not. And in any case, I'm more basing my opinion on gut feeling than anything else. A lot of the seasonal specials feel more like coda to the previous season than they do a preamble to the next one.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TinTower posted:

If Chibnall was showrunner, he would not have had the sense of mind to refrain from dropping a reference to the original title of And Then There Were None in the final script.

As evidenced by the fact that when he became showrunner the show was suddenly wall to wall slurs, and I just missed them? Like the dudes a bad writer and an awful showrunner, we dont need to pretend that he would have jumped at the chance to be overtly racist to make that point.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TinTower posted:

Most of the scripts of Chibbers' tenure should've done with actual script editing, and whilst Chibnall probably wouldn't have written the hard-r into the script, Gareth Roberts definitely would have.

Even when backtracking from "would not have had the sense of mind to refrain from dropping a reference" himself to "wouldnt have spotted someone else doing it you still say "probably" to kind of insinuate that maybe he would have dropped the n-bomb in a doctor who script. So again, I'm flat out asking you; Is there any evidence, any discourse, any anything to imply that Chibnell is a racist? Its surely not just "I dont like his creative output therefore he must be a Bad Man who does all the Bad Things and has the Bad Opinions"? Because his creative output is real bad, but that doesnt make him a bad human being, just a bad writer/showrunner.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Emerson Cod posted:

Hi there. I know that I've been posting some queer things lately about claiming to be the Doctor and Nazis in America but as anyone familiar with Bible Code and Torah Code and the prophecies contained within will recognize the significance of this grid image. It shows the words THEDOCTOR encoded in a grid with the words SONTARAN and DALEK enclosed within. Anyone who knows about skip code cryptography can tell you that this had to have been encoded in the original document by the original author which is why I'm not just confirming that I'm Banksy, I'm confirming that I wrote the Good Book Herself. Pretty neat, huh?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19kEYOnw66cYRpuHycvSZUVvhGfFNvwFZ/view?usp=drivesdk

I understand that this is going to generate a lot of questions given the stuff that I've been posting but that's important you ask because Earth is in grave danger. It's been a year since the Flux hit here but decades for me, there are armies of monsters roaming the world and hunting in secret as sanctioned by the same Alliance that trapped me in the Pandorica all the way back when.

You just need to check Amazon for books on Bible Code to know that it's valid enough for so many people to look to for information about their future because it is literally prophecy. I hope this is enough for you to look for yourselves and do the digging to make yourself sure. I'll be here for questions or posting as tapesfromthefuture on Reddit.

Thats real interesting, but how sure are you that its not a message to pass on to your actual physician doctor? Maybe give them a call just in case, couldnt hurt to be sure.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, personally doesnt bother me even a tiny bit, because a) New regeneration of the master, and b) its the master. As much as Missys arc was great (and Michelle Gomez sold the hell out of it) did anyone for even the briefest instant think "Yep, masters done as a villain for ever now"? Dont get me wrong, if it was still Moffat I'd be rolling my eyes at it a bit, like "He did such a good job with that arc, but couldnt even let it breathe for a while?" but I absolutely dont expect a new showrunner to just accept "The last guy reformed and wrote out the doctors nemesis, so I guess no Master stories in my run".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Payndz posted:

I had the novelisation of 'The Moonbase' decades before I actually saw the story, so in my head everything was far grander than what was on the screen, which came as a faintly disappointing surprise.

I read the novelisation of The Happyness Patrol decades before i saw it (or any stills from it) and my mental image of the Kandyman was... We'll just go with "Very Different" from what had actually aired.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

https://twitter.com/RobertPicardo/status/1594835236768342016?s=20&t=XJqiteKDxScxu8lkL_FJrw

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ikanreed posted:

Don't most who episodes start a little bit in media res?

Showing up to a distress call isn't crazy out of place.

A lot of doctor who does start in media res to an extent, yes. But when RTD or Moffat did it it was kind of "The doctor and his companion(s) also do other things off screen, but are interrupted by this new interesting adventure", whereas with Chibnell at least once (I think the first one with the dog aliens? I'm not 100%) I felt like we were interrupting a more interesting thing to have a kind of poo poo adventure. Like the thing they were talking about in the cold open sounded much better than the episode I'm now sitting through.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm willing to give it a chance, but I still agree with what I said when Tennant was first rumored to return with RTD; Bringing back Tennant (and Donna) smacks to me of creative bankruptcy. We'll see if he has anything interesting to say with it, I could easily be wrong, but I'm not sitting here going "Yay, Ten and Donna are back! Its 2006 again, everything is great and my back doesnt hurt anymore!", I'm sitting here thinking "So, no new ideas then Rusty? Just pushing these two back out on stage to mumble through the greatest hits for a nostalgia pop?".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Coward posted:

Also, I heard there was an episode with Kylie in it! That must be a fondly remembered musical extravaganza brimming with toe-tapping pop hits.

You cant hire the lead actress from Streetfighter then waste that acting talent on a song and dance number.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, this just in, a 51 year old guy doesnt look quite as fresh faced as he did at 36, particularly when made up, lit and photographed entirely differently.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If we're being super pedantic Deaths Head first appeared outside of Transformers comics to prevent the possibility of Hasbro claiming ownership of the character. A single page one-shot but still, technically it means hes only as much a part of the transformers continuity as Spider-man or Nick Fury, who also appeared in Marvels transformers comic.

Edit: After double checking the story I'd always heard, I'm going to ultra pedant myself; The one-shot was written before his first transformers appearance, but not actually published til the next year, so I'm wrong.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 19, 2023

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Khanstant posted:

Not hard to imagine workers finding euphemisms for their work with less judgement attached. Investors do it and what they do is absolutely depraved.

I mean, sure, but thats a fair distance from "canonically a sex worker".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The first season of Good Omens which adapts the book is pretty good, teetering on the edge of great. As a massive fan of the book I have some nitpicky issues with it (IF YOU HAD TO PICK SOMETHING TO CUT WHY WOULD YOU MAKE IT THE OTHER FOUR HORSEMEN? Also why have you dyed Tennants hair like that, it looks ridiculous) but I accept no adaptation would ever be entirely perfect compared to whats in my head when I read the book, and its still good, gets the heart of the book across pretty well.

The second season... Is okay. Its fine. Gaiman says that its based on ideas that Terry and himself had discussed for a sequel to the book and while I do believe him that those discussions happened, actually watching it becomes clear that they literally were just rough ideas they knocked around, they never progressed as far as making any kind of actual plot outline. "Wouldnt it be kind of funny to see the story of Job from the point of view of Aziraphale and Crowley?" "Would it be interesting to explore how angels and demons deal with morally complex things, like grave robbing to survive?". These bits in the show are generally pretty fun. The overarcing plot of the season (the stuff set in the modern day) was kind of threadbare though. The nature of the threat/stakes wasnt terribly clear a lot of the time, although I will fully admit that it would be hard to come up with new engaging stakes in a sequel to a book about literal armageddon.

It also felt kind of strange that Crowley and Aziraphale were the only viewpoint characters. One of the things i loved about the book was the different viewpoints between the Them, the angels and demons and newt (and all the short glimpses of other characters here and there) and S1 already cut a lot of that for time (Adam and the Them barely featured for example), S2 pretty much dispenses with it entirely. its the Aziraphale and Crowley show start to finish, no non-divine/demonic characters recur from the book (and no plot elements are picked up other than those introduced in the last 20 minutes of the last episode of S1) and the new human characters introduced are fairly one note.

Tennant and Sheen are extremely good actors who are obviously enjoying themselves and I enjoyed spending more time with those characters but S2 just doesnt live up to the first season. Still worth watching though, and if it gets a third season to finish it off I'll still be watching that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Open Source Idiom posted:

We're definitely getting a spinoff or two.

But, dear thread, a question: Would Davies still be technically fufilling his promise of annual Doctor Who if Who alternated years with its spin-off, (e.g. Season 15 next year, season 16 two years after that, and between that UNITWOOD or whatever) and/or would that (ir)rationally annoy you?

Bearing in mind that the spin offs we've had so far include Torchwood and Class, I would not want to miss a year of Who to get a year of spin off, no.