Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Astroman posted:

The Fugitive Doctor could be good, but there will be lot of useless background mystery about her because even Chibnall didn't seem to know what her actual story was. I think it would take away from the stories. :shrug:

Unless Big Finish just commits and tries to canonize her a place in the canon and either lean into or retcon the Timeless Child stuff. But they will be hesitant to for fear the tv show might decide to pick her up again and throw a different backstory in.

I suppose it could also work if they strongly suggest she's more of an Unbound incarnation, outside of the canon.

There's no way Chibnall didn't have a bigger storyline in kind for the Fugitive Doctor and the Timeless Children. Honestly the last episode not mentioning it at all reeks of him being told to cut it out more than anything else.

Hell the last episode even had a stolen alien child whose an energy source, one used for regeneration, and they were a new random species!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

JoylessJester posted:

Is it normal for Dr.Who teasers to getting regular 7pm showings 6 months ahead of air date?

I don't even remember 10s original swan song getting this much hype.

This is the true power of RTD. No joke, he really understands how to produce a show and generate buzz.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

One of the things I'm taking away from this, which is interesting, is that the time vortex is back to looking like it did during the original RTD era.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4hWnOnuMEU&t=322s

Someone compiled the Camden night filming footage and basically assembled one of the scenes from episode 1, Fourteen meeting Donna and Rose and the sonic showing off some new features.

I'm not too keen on that last part; the sonic's already a do-everything object and I kinda sorta get why JNT killed it back in the day

I'm honestly not sure what new abilities it's showing off?

I can't really parse what that video is showing?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

armpit_enjoyer posted:

He’s waving his hands in the air like he’s using one of those floating holographic screens from the MCU or whatever after using the sonic, which, why

Yeah, good interpretation.

I actually feel like that is a fine new ability for the sonic to have for exposition purposes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Zaroff posted:

The blu-ray set we all knew was coming is finally announced!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1679490879634169864?s=46

And another promotional trailer

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1679491927862030337?s=46

Gutted that they got stuck using that awful Chibnall era logo so all the boxsets have to match.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

armpit_enjoyer posted:

i have just learned that the Stenza currently have one (1) appearance in spinoff media and it's an offhand mention of how they got owned by the loving Raxicoricofallapatorians

Good. The Stenza were whole orders of magnitude a shitter creation than the farting aliens.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Remember when Michelle Ryan seemed like she might be a big star?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

No, they tried a few times (her appearance in Who felt like a BBC mandate, honestly), but she’s not a good actress.

I agree, but then at one point she was also in the US Bionic Woman series and had a guest appearance on Jekyl that everyone seemed excited about.

Though now that I've typed that I'm not sure who everyone was. Maybe just my mum because she liked Eastenders?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SiKboy posted:

The first season of Good Omens which adapts the book is pretty good, teetering on the edge of great. As a massive fan of the book I have some nitpicky issues with it...

I might sound pretty close minded by admitting this but as a massive fan of the book I absolutely can NOT bring myself to watch the show because of a single casting choice.

I love everything about the casting of Good Omens, and think I'd enjoy it a lot, but I just can't tolerate Jack Whitehall.

LIke, he's presence literally craters any interest I have in the show. From 100 to 0.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

It’s 2005 all over again! Brand new behind the scenes show immediately after each episode, Doctor Who Unleashed!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1707107857999471102

Between the shared universe of Doctor Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures and the BTS/recap show of Confidential it's incredible how before the times RTD was.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I really hope we get a moment like this. Get Bradley back and just.. let it happen.

https://twitter.com/poorlyagedwho/status/1696990586941722750

Remember when Moffat brought back Bradley so that he could portray the 1st Doctor as if he was a person from the actual 1960's so he was basically racist and sexist on the sly?

That was odd.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Matinee posted:

the whole "don't cremate me" thing is really weird looking back on it - it doesn't really go anywhere or factor into any characters' schemes or motivations, it just feels like a jarringly edgelord concept bunged in there for no reason, and really sticks out given Moffat's usual semi-fairytale tone.

Its a concept Moffat loved so much that he reused it wholesale in his Dracula TV series.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Booooo I thought 14 was only getting 8 because of the specials.

Well just remember that it's 9 episodes of Doctor Who, 9 episodes of Unleashed and eventually (2025, maybe late 2024 for one of them) two spin-off series that are bound to feature the Doctor at least once each, so that's still way more content that Doctor Who has been getting for nearly a decade now, and most shows never get.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'm hoping they also do a follow up to The Writers Tale.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Why the big emphasis on behind the scenes coverage?

It's a great way to build hype and connection for a franchise for very little cost, and RTD says he's met a lot of people who are now in the industry who say Doctor Who Confidential giving them an idea of how BTS worked inspired them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Gold got a lot of poo poo for going so big with the music but I never minded. Sometimes it was a bit of an audio assault, but he also composed some absolutely amazing pieces for scenes where the score was vital to holding things together. The Shepherd's Boy carries that time loop sequence and makes it one of the best things in the show's history.

I also always loved Gold and never had a problem with his bombast. He's also infinitely better than his replacement who didn't compose a single good theme for the show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Dabir posted:

Yeah I didn't much like the replacement's music at all. "The Doctor Who theme presented from the far end of a big echoey room" was not a strong start.

I can't find it now, but I remembering reading that Gold was only sticking around for the first proper season, does anyone recall that being announced?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

GigaPeon posted:

That scene got me so excited. She’s the Doctor who built her sonic in a cave with a box of scraps. She’s gonna tinker. She’s gonna get her hands dirty.

And then it never happens again unless I'm forgetting a scene. :(

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

armpit_enjoyer posted:

To be fair to Chibbers, he was slagging off Pip and Jane Baker specifically in that appearance, if memory serves, and the only good thing those two delivered was the Rani kicking the Master in the groin in one scene

Pip and Jane is a more a memorable combination of words than anything Chibbers came up with in his tenure on the show and it's just their loving names.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Ah cool, the new showrunners for post RTD2.

Or the new showrunners for one of the rumored spin-offs. Rose

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Doctor Who was literally about to be cancelled before Davis came back onboard with Tennant. And now it's going to have a return to yearly episodes, a behind the scenes series, and two spin-offs. Sometimes it's okay when things sell out a little.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Also his sister isn't Enola Holmes, the character from the novels or the recent Netflix films, it's a totally original character called... Eurus Holmes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Just watched a couple of the Tales of the Tardis and yeah, good work RTD, what a fun way to present some of the classic stories. Might even have something in my eye.

I'm hoping the answer is no, but did they do anything to the classic footage to modernize it? Either new effects, or color grading?