Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wrote up an entire thing on why the Bible Code is bullshit because the Bible is a very chaotic assembly of various texts made with all sorts of cultural and political considerations, and it’s actually kind of neat to study as a literary document whatever your beliefs or lack thereof, but I realize my breath would be wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean even before the world shut down there was a year between Seasons 11 and 12 despite the show going from 13 episodes to 10.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Also we saw the Fugitive Doctor’s Time Lord handler so they still exist in the past, it’s not like the Time War where they were gone from all of time and space. Just go back a few days before and tell them to hide.

I don’t think it’ll happen under RTD’s watch since he never seemed to have much use for the Time Lords and is probably fine with them being gone again, but it’s easily fixed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing, we can't assume that racism will be gone in the future. We can hope it will be but if the last several years have taught me anything it's that irrational hatreds have a way of clinging on for dear life.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Robot has a few things I like about it, it is a nice way to show off the new Doctor's personality by putting him in a similar situation to one his predecessor might have faced. And Sara Jane gets a few really great moments. The bit where they ask her if she'd like to see the Robot again and she's clearly terrified and says "Yes, I'd like that very much!" That's why we love her.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That strikes me as a great merch opportunity.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What’s this about mammoths

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean we can hypothetically imagine an executive kiboshing all the things we didn’t like but that’s hindsight. They’re just as likely to object to good ideas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
For a short time after I discovered the series I thought it was all 90 minute single story episodes like a movie of the week or something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The production ran dramatically over budget and behind schedule when someone had to feed the parking meter

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Hear me out on this- new Romana

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
e: wrong thread

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 15, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve been watching Pluto tv’s Classic Who channel and they’ve been going through the Davison/C.Bakes era, and it’s always surprising how gritty some of the stories are, despite the cheap sets. Stuff like Vengeance on Varos has a real ‘you’ve come to hell, and you’re all going to suffer’ feeling to it. No one comes out well.

You really get a sense of them being influenced by things like 2000 AD and written UK SF and that creeping in as much as a family adventure serial would allow.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay we’re getting a musical episode for sure

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

armpit_enjoyer posted:

He’s waving his hands in the air like he’s using one of those floating holographic screens from the MCU or whatever after using the sonic, which, why

That or he just doesn't care.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
While the Whittaker Era was uneven there were definitely episodes I enjoyed. And Whittaker herself, brilliant, marvelous.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is what happens when you don't make people learn cursive in school

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Zaroff posted:

If you want a bit of fun, go to the Big Finish Twitter page, and read the first word of each tweet as you scroll down the timeline. Someone spent far too long setting it up, and it’s amazing!

That's brilliant.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have literally no complaints about that scene and it is entirely in character for the Master to have set up the entire plan just to be able to do that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
In addition to Cold War fears the Cybermen reflect a lot of fears of mechanization and computerization taking over people’s lives, which was a thing across the political spectrum (Godard makes it a focus of Alphaville.)

Kit Pedler in particular was a big ecology guy who was worried about us paving over the world. Every early-70s sci fi dystopia has this subtext of “we’re killing all the trees and putting up skyscrapers” and on the ground you have the increased presence of automation in industry and business, so everyone’s worried they’ll be replaced by a machine.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Holmes was also the guy who came up with the whole Season 6b thing so he just enjoyed throwing a wrench in the works. He was good enough to get away with it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
As many problems as there are with the Timeless Child concept what I liked was that we might from now on just run into random Doctors we’d never heard of before and they’d all be “canon”, but Chibnall seemed to actually back away because of the backlash and we never saw anything beyond Martin (who was awesome to be sure.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

Good god why does Jackie look like she just got out of a tanning booth

I mean it is Jackie, she almost certainly has

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

OldMemes posted:

I had a listen to the audio adaptation of The Ultimate Adventure, and aside from historical curiosity, there's not much to this one. In a short lived 1989 stage play, Jon Pertwee and later Colin Baker reprised their role as the Doctor. For whatever reason, there was no offical recording of the show, so the only way to experience it is via some very low quality fan bootlegs.

That is, unless you go for the Big Finish adaptation starring Colin Baker. The Ultimate Adventure has a very thin excuse plot - the daleks want to ruin a peace conference, the cyberman help them, the Doctor stops them. For a low budget stage show that works, for an audio version, it feels bland. There's a lot of telling rather than showing, and things being handwaved away. The songs aren't terrible, but aside from the first verse of 'Strange Attractor', they aren't very catchy. Baker, as always, gives it a good run.

Wait, this was a musical?

How did I never hear that?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Doctor: And when I say there is "no cannibalism" in the TARDIS, I mean there is a certain amount, more than we Time Lords are prepared to admit. But, all new companions are warned that if they wake up in the morning and find any toothmarks at all anywhere on their bodies, they're to tell me immediately so that I can immediately take every measure to blame it on the Androgums.

I abhor the implication that the TARDIS is a haven for cannibalism. We now have the problem relatively under control, and it is Torchwood who suffer the most casualties in these areas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think the difference with cosmic level threats under Chibnall v RTD is the latter knew how to make the threats feel big. Even if some points of the story didn’t make sense there was a good emotional pull most of the time.

Chibnall’s Who felt inconsequential a lot of the time. S11 at least felt like a nice break from the overcomplicated time shenanigans Moffat seemed to require in every story, back to the Doctor jumping around planets and saving people, etc. But when he tried to go bigger it fell flat.

I honestly think a lot of it comes down to not developing the cast that well. Having a larger TARDIS crew was fine in theory but we didn’t get invested in them the way people cared about Rose or Martha or Donna- or Amy Pond for that matter. And that’s not on the performers obviously.

That and though Chibnall did end up facing extraordinary challenges what with COVID and the like, I feel like it was more often the case that production challenges started really hurting the stories.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That was the thing- we were getting fewer episodes per season and yet something like Orphan 55 still snuck through. That's the sort of episode you expect out of a show with a 26-episode order that can't afford to nix a premise that just isn't working.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Both Kill the Moon and Forest of the Night suffer from being centered on Earth.

The moon of a highly populated planet is actually the egg of some giant space dwelling creature? And it’s about to hatch? Good premise.

Earth’s moon is an egg? Nah man we’ve checked we’re pretty sure that’s all rock. Also the bit where the hatched moon is instantly replaced because it’d make the show weird if all future episodes on Earth took place without a moon.

Again, there’s a planet where every so often a super colony of plants grows to absorb the energy of what would otherwise be a cataclysmic cosmic event? Neat. EARTH has done that several times? Uh what?

Like I dunno I’ll believe that statues are monsters and that there are like five separate alien beings responsible for the development of life on Earth but these are steps too far. Like I get making it Earth’s moon makes the story more immediate but nah.

And don’t get me started on trying to make viewers scared of eye boogers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It has the same problem I had with an earlier theme where the more traditional melody crowds out the DUM DUM DUM DUM part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s just feels so surreal to me to be seeing ads and posters of new Doctor Who with Tennant doing the outstretched hand pose thing in the year 2023.

I want to be excited about new Who, but I can’t get over the feeling that this is one of the most lazy and transparent attempts at regaining popularity that a long-running franchise has ever done. They’ve got a seriously uphill battle to justify Tennant’s new Doc instead of just going straight to Gatwa.

Gatwa wasn’t available for these, he had some other prior commitment. And they weren’t gonna let the 60th pass without something.