Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
From the last thread:

Cleretic posted:

I've got a friend who did, and while he's coming back around now, it was for the sort of simple, understandable reason I could never fully refute: just that he likes Doctor Who for being at its core a friendly show about a friendly person, and he didn't think that felt like what he'd get from Peter Capaldi.

I can never argue that, because he was absolutely right. Capaldi's a wonderful, friendly man in real life, but you don't hire him to play a nice guy, and thry didn't.

I've gotta disagree. There's a difference between Twelve STARTING as not particularly warm or kind, and where the character ended up. There's a reason the finale (before the Xmas special) has the big emotional climax being him entreating the Masters to be kind. That the special has the regeneration be preceded by him telling his next self to 'always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind'. The whole point of that run is the Doctor coming to terms with what he thinks he is and what he wants to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I wish we had more multi-Doctor EPs that weren't specials.

I mean, the only one that this isn't true of, really, is the Two Doctors, right? I suppose The Three Doctors but that was explicitly for the tenth, and very much has the feel of a special event.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Capaldi was definitely written as "the rear end in a top hat Doctor" at first but I think his final season pulled away from that, and not as intentional character growth. It feels more like Moffat getting the response to Capaldi and deciding to tone it down a lot.

I think this is memory tricking people. The third episode of his first season is the Robin Hood one, which ends with that speech pointing out how the Doctor is basically Robin, a person of privilege moved to action by compassion for others. Even the first episode has that ending with him begging Clara to see him and still be his friend. And the finale of that season has the opening with the lava and the TARDIS keys. The following season starts with the Davros 2 parter, which boils down to the Doctor being willing to save even his worst enemy because he believes in compassion, kindness and mercy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is she fighting Ncuti or David?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also appreciate the confirmation that the whole farce of 'hide the Doctor from Donna' is probably only like the first act of the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

After watching "Tales from The TARDIS," I really hope they follow up on Ancient Sly McCoy and Ace going on new adventures in some form. Sly ain't lost a beat.

"Come on Professor! We've got work to do!" :)