Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Khanstant posted:

I blame them for the old problems too

Blowjob Brick is now a Disney princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Oh look it's the Ringo Doctor

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

The 2nd one was the ship voyage right? That one was alright and Claes Bang was great throughout. Fresh off the end of Series 5 in 2010, riding the high of Moffat's 1st season, I sought out more of his work and decided to watch Jekyll...and I feel insane looking up the show now and seeing 8/10 and 4.5/5 stars

I remember really enjoying Jekyll, but I don’t think I’ve actually watched it for over a decade. Don’t tell me it’s aged poorly. :(

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

OldMemes posted:

If they're an in character thing, I wonder if they'll have some plot device to handwave away the Doctor's aging? Pete McTighe is pretty good at being creative with the Blu-Ray trailers he writes. I'm guessing a "oh no we've been pulled out of our timelines" thing.

I’m just going to assume that The Doctor’s using some kind of cloaking device to display an older version of themselves to make the former companions not feel uncomfortable about how much older they are now. ‘Look I’m old and fat and grey too, it’s ok’. 😌

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The new issue of SFX is out, featuring interviews with RTD and David Tennant and others.

A couple of interesting quotes from RTD:

“Next year, season one. Yes, we’re calling it season one”

“I’m not going to unwrite my good friend Chris Chibnall’s work on ‘The Timeless Children’. I’m not going to deny what he wrote. I’m going with it. It’s absolutely fine. It’s canon. It happened. It was transmitted. You cannot unwrite things, that would be absolutely rude to a great colleague and a lovely friend.”

None of the articles give anything away about Special #2 however, other than it’s ‘weird’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Warthur posted:

As is "not going to write something which keeps it in but puts a different spin on it".

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere in the 8th Doctor tie-in media (BBC Books line?) that, owing to being as active a time traveller as he is and being involved in as many conflicts with time-travelling opponents as he has, the Doctor's background is in flux anyway? So the Lungbarrow backstory works, the half-human backstory works, the "random Gallifreyan who got bored" backstory works, the Timeless Child backstory works...

It would be hard for RTD to outright contradict other backstories whilst being precious about Chibnall's take without looking at least a little hypocritical there. Why does Chibnall deserve more respect than the people who contributed those other ideas?

This is the full piece on how he deals with existing canon:

quote:

Given that Davies established a new Who mythology sans-Gallifrey prior to the 2005 series, how beholden does he feel to the lore that's been established since he left?

"Oh, quite beholden actually. I'm very well behaved in that sense... I feel completely free to make up my own stuff. But I think it's very interesting that the only piece of Doctor Who lore that's never been held aloft and run with is Paul McGann having a human mother.”

"None of us can deal with that. None of us cope with it and it's never been mentioned since. I find that really fascinating. That's not a hint that I'm going to engage with it at all. It's amazing, isn't it? Everything else gets kind of absorbed.”

"Let's stare that question right in the eye. I'm not going to unwrite my good friend Chris Chibnall's work on The Timeless Children'. I'm not going to deny what he wrote. I'm going with it. It's absolutely fine. It's canon, it happened. It was transmitted. You cannot unwrite things, that would be absolutely rude to a great colleague and a lovely friend."