Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Is the whole Bible Code thing analysis of an English translation, or is it working in the languages the various parts of the Bible were actually written in?

E: and to contribute to actual Who chat, did anyone else feel that Dhawan's Master was a kind of attempted translation of the Joker into Doctor Who? His mannerisms, some of the costume design, right down to his TARDIS (looking like a police box again for no reason) having "Hahaha" printed on it?

Coward fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Really? Huh. I don't really see Missy as coded as the Joker. But that might be because she reads really strongly to me as "Michelle Gomez."

Simm did have psychopath strongly in his performance, but I don't know, there's something about the giggling, the childishness, then swinging to sinister murderousness that coupled with everything else makes me think Dhawan's Master was sort of meant to invoke the Joker, like that was how Chibnall thought of the character. The HAHAHA on the TARDIS really clinched it for me.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I don't think it's such a big deal, just a bit jarring coming after the most development the character's ever had and only a single season separating the appearances.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

It's kind of funny, but I presume the Timeless Child was thought of first (and I have a weird feeling it was young fan Chibnall's idea to canonise the Morbius Doctors that he got to actually implement, with the added progressive bonus of being able to make non-male and non-white Doctors without affecting the incumbent).

So, you can't have the Time Lords around, since the Doctor would go to them for answers and you would be dicking around on Gallifrey. So you blow up Gallifrey to refocus the central conflict. But you're not interested in how or really why it blows up, so you just end up writing it happening off-screen because you need to get to the Doctor and Master facing off, even if it just boils down to the Master rattling off exposition for half the episode.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Dhawan regenerates into Gomez and says "I know these teeth..."

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Except they didn't. We saw a different Doctor serve in the Division, retire from it, and then get mind wiped. So if this guy is post-Ruth, then how'd the Doctor get back in their good graces? And if he's pre-Ruth then why's she on the run from the Division?

Are you talking about that village policeman? I thought all that was supposed to be the Division or Tecteun messing with the Matrix record to hide the whole Timeless Child thing, so we don't know what actually happened?

One thing I thought it was suggesting was that each regeneration of the Doctor is mind-wiped by the Division and reset.

I assumed that the Fugitive Doctor's future, according to the presumed intention of the stories, is locked. We know she is ultimately recaptured by the Division as she is intended to be a pre-Hartnell Doctor. That means there could be any number of regenerations between her and, strict-reading of the Brain of Morbius, the Morbius Doctors. If the Doctor is mind-wiped each time and reset, there doesn't have to be a change of heart on the part of the Fugitive Doctor to continue serving the Division.

That all being said, I much prefer a Season 6B solution. A much better canon-fix than trying to justify the Morbius Doctors.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Would love to see the Master surreptitiously pull knuckledusters out of his underpants and then deck the Doctor.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I just imagined Gallifrey had been wiped out by some sinister malevolence and the Master just happened across the aftermath. And of course instead of trying to find out who did it or the implications, he just decided to claim credit for it and try to use it to dick over the Doctor with a recovered Matrix slice he could mess with.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Oh, that's sad. I am fairly sure my favourite exchanges in Blake's 7 were all Boucher.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

SiKboy posted:

I'm willing to give it a chance, but I still agree with what I said when Tennant was first rumored to return with RTD; Bringing back Tennant (and Donna) smacks to me of creative bankruptcy. We'll see if he has anything interesting to say with it, I could easily be wrong, but I'm not sitting here going "Yay, Ten and Donna are back! Its 2006 again, everything is great and my back doesnt hurt anymore!", I'm sitting here thinking "So, no new ideas then Rusty? Just pushing these two back out on stage to mumble through the greatest hits for a nostalgia pop?".

It's the 60th. I would cut it a bit of slack at this point.

And sad news about Greif. Another Blakes 7 light gone. :(

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

What you're picking up on is that Catherine Tate is a comedian famous for self-deprecation and abrasive characters and Russell T. Davies was writing Donna to fit Tate's skill set and reputation.

That's mainly why I'm oddly not as huge a fan of Donna as I feel I should have been. I spent a lot of that series just feeling like Catherine Tate was Catherine Tate-ing about the place and was only an actual character about 20% of the time, which I felt undercut things.

But when she was allowed to go outside of doing her bit, she was great. I really enjoyed Turn Left for instance.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Rochallor posted:

There's a bit in the Ood episode that I really like where Donna is expressing disbelief that people would put up with the enslavement of the Ood and Ten snarls something like, "And who do you think made your clothes?" To which Donna (rightfully) responds, "Is that why you travel around with people, so you can lord it over them?" and Ten sheepishly apologizes. It's a great moment, and I don't think it would work with any of Ten's other companions. Being defined as a sort of louder character than other companions lets her get away with a lot and tell off the Doctor to a degree you don't really see til Clara.

Yep, those bits where she gets dramatic weight were great for me. The bits where she is Catherine Tate-ing are less so.

I was not a huge fan of the romantic angle (and I disliked School Reunion for making it explicit in the classic series), so I should have been very much behind a series that didn't have that angle between the two leads. Just didn't work that well for me.

E: I do perfectly understand why they went that angle, and the show's renewed popularity demonstrates that it worked. It's just a personal aesthetic thing.

Coward fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 29, 2022

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I once had to wait in real time (half of it without Internet!) for SIXTEEN years for new Doctor Who with only a single American co-production episode at the 1/3rd point to tide me over, so I'm sure I'll be able to handle a mere 11 months! :smug:

https://i.imgur.com/fnDyCZY.mp4

I am genuinely trying to imagine how my younger self would have reacted if I had been told in 89 that I would have to wait until 2005 for new Doctor Who.

I think I would have definitely preferred not to know.

Coward fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 1, 2023

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Yeah, it's an amazing record scratch moment watching Androzani and then Twin Dilemma right after. And to think they thought it would be a good idea to end the series on that one.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Doctor Who and the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Need someone to photoshop that on a Target novelisation.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Lovely!

Welp, I've bought the book, I have to finish reading it now.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

...No Cushing or Shalka Doctor?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Ha, yes! I was too busy looking for an animated head instead of Richard E Grant.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

:doh: Knew I was forgetting someones

You also only have one First Doctor's face when there are two more to add.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Also, I heard there was an episode with Kylie in it! That must be a fondly remembered musical extravaganza brimming with toe-tapping pop hits.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Poor Saward, stuck as script editor for a main character who didn't like shooting people.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Imagine if Saward had had to do Christmas episodes.

E: this is adding more horror to my Pip and Jane Baker: Showrunners alternate timeline.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Astroman posted:

In a parallel universe where Blake's 7 went on a few more years...

Or where the final scene of the show happens every episode.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I... I was not expecting that.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

The Pip and Jane: Showrunners alternate timeline claims another victim

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

...is it bad that I think the non updated and restored titles are vastly superior?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh, you mean the McCoy series Trial of a Timelord.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

How about for clarity we just have two distinct eras? Pre- and Post- Doctor in Distress?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Is Last Christmas a classic Base Under Siege story? Discuss.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Very self consciously so, yes.

But does that make it a Base Under Siege story, or an homage to Base Under Siege stories???

And, yeah, I really like Last Christmas (although I think I would've preferred the original where Clara is written out and Shona becomes the new companion. Although we arguably then would not have had Heaven Sent nor Bill, so I am okay with it being the way it is).

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Coward posted:

I just imagined Gallifrey had been wiped out by some sinister malevolence and the Master just happened across the aftermath. And of course instead of trying to find out who did it or the implications, he just decided to claim credit for it and try to use it to dick over the Doctor with a recovered Matrix slice he could mess with.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Am I weirdly sheltered/out-of-date or is calling a kissogram a sex worker a teeny bit of a stretch?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

TinTower posted:

It’s incredibly sanitised sexual entertainment, but it’s still sexual entertainment. As far as I’m aware, legally, at least, it’s no different from other forms of stripping or erotic dance.

Also, it’s Steven Moffat. Man can’t help but needlessly sexualise his major female characters.

Oh, okay, I guess I was considering it highly sanitised. I wouldn't have thought of a lingerie model or a "booth babe" as a sex worker, but fair enough.

I was again wondering if we would hear the middle eight properly again in the televised theme music, but I heard that apparently Murray Gold hates it and can't help being unwelcomely reminded of "Do They Know It's Christmas."

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

TinTower posted:

Eh, booth babes are probably on the other side of the line, which is so tricky to actually define that even the Supreme Court of the United States was like “yeah, we don’t have an objective test”.

But, like, I’m pretty sure the dialogue has a line like “you broke into my house; it was either the cop costume or the maid costume”, which indicates she’s probably not the type of kissogram that shows up at the office with a box of chocolates.

I'd always thought of a kissogram as being lightly naughty, like something designed to make Steve blush in front of his work mates when the saucy woman delivers the message and gives him the kiss. So having slightly fetish outfits is part of the whole concept, and doesn't suggest anything more interactively sexual than that. Am I confused about this? From what you've said, is a kissogram normally someone just wearing ordinary clothes who shows up with a box of chocolates and then gives a kiss? Is this a cultural difference? Why am I writing so much about this? Am I a kissogram?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

You are, and you're enormously behind on your quota :toughguy:

Jeez, boss, fine, I'll put on the gear and get back to the Smooch Mines. God, Androzani's gotten so much worse since we switched from spectrox.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

TinTower posted:

I mean, there are kissograms of the "make Steve blush at work" variety, but even in 2010 they were a dying breed because, you know, just takes one person who doesn't consent to it to report you to HR.

Most likely, Amy was the type you hire from an agency for your mate's stag night, they arrive at the pub saying they need to arrest you "for being too sexy", and give you a little striptease and lapdance while your mates holler from the sidelines. The sort of harmless prank that Rory's mates did for his stag do in the pre-credits scene of Vampires. :v:

But I would call that a strippogram, not a kissogram.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Tag yourself, I'm Morgus' secretary. Your other choices are.... oh wait, no. Everybody else is dead. :ohdear:

Can I be the magma monster? He's so adorable!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

"drat, all these reels just appear to be Dimensions in Time."

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

...Why do the Doctors get measurements in both imperial and metric, but the companions only get imperial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Yeah, 90 quid seems like too much.