Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SiKboy posted:

Continueing discussion from previous regeneration of this thread:

You know, I'd actually not argue with that, or at least not too strenuously! Wikipedia reckons Voyage of the Damned does belong with that season, but I personally always kind of associate specials with the season before them more than the season after them, and wikipedia is essentially just Some rear end in a top hat we dont need to listen to. I will say I found The Unicorn and The Wasp to be really disappointing, but I'd need to rewatch it to remember if its because its actually bad or if its just a bit meh and I didnt like it.

I think their logic comes from the fact that the specials are usually bundled in with the season that follows them on DVD releases and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3aT4CcgRq0

I'm gonna be honest, Tom Baker Fall Guy is very charming, that outfit somehow fits the bean proportions perfectly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

Seems like a big reveal tonight? Especially bigger than how they announced Ncuti.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1593499471689748480

My general read of Twitter is that it's going to last until one big event becomes too much for it to handle with nobody at the helm, at which point it will implode and not be recoverable.

The World Cup's probably going to do that next week (and if it does we'll be able to historically pinpoint the exact second of death, which'll be fun), but I'm gonna be honest, I would consider it a point of pride as a Who fan if the companion reveal killed it first.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rhyno posted:

i really found that joke to be grating until the Daleks got in on it.

The Daleks are extremely good comedic actors as long as they're not overused for it, and in retrospect, kudos to the entirety of New Who for realizing exactly that. They've never been overused for it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

apophenium posted:

e. Side note it's interesting to see so many posters from the AEW threads in here. Not a crossover I'd expect!

I'm not into wrestling, but do enjoy listening to other people who are really into wrestling, and there's just generally a lot of crossover appeal you wouldn't expect. Realizing that modern pro wrestling and modern shonen anime have been constantly borrowing from each other was a bit of a revelation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wolfechu posted:

Also in Eccleston's season he had a bad bout of flu or something, unrelated to the anorexia I think, and was also providing a shoulder to cry on for Piper, who was going through her divorce to Chris Evans. Adding all that to the other problems, I don't blame him for finding it a miserable experience.

Wait, that Chris Evans?

All things considered, not the weirdest connection between corners of media that I thought were unrelated, but still a surprising one for me. Huh.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
If I'm thinking about it (and honestly being kinda generous), I think Chibnall never quite found his own voice in Doctor Who, but was actually fairly good at replicating what works in others'. The Power of the Doctor felt like an attempt at an RTD finale, but if I'm honest it's at least a fairly good attempt at one, it might actually work better than some of the actual RTD finales. And Village of the Angels is pretty clearly his attempt at Moffat Horror, but he kinda did it better than Moffat did half the time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vinylshadow posted:

PotD aped a fair bit of Journey's End, down to having past companions come in and help fly the TARDIS

Kate's sacrifice wasn't dissimilar to Harriet Jones (Former Prime Minister) either

Yeah, it's kinda Journey's End taped to The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords, right down to an equivalent musical scene. But at least it's good at those things, the fact we've seen it before doesn't quite mean that it's bad because of it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

Desperately looking in the shadows behind the camera slate for any sign of the St John's logo :ohdear:

Extremely terrible idea: Fourteen decorates the TARDIS exterior like a nerd decorates the back of their laptop.

It starts with a St John's Ambulance logo, but every single story they add another sticker from wherever they went until eventually you can only vaguely tell the space under them is meant to be blue.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Orange is the hardest color to pull off, but when it works it works. And I think it works here.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I say that a lot of Flux just commits the sin of being forgettable despite the material, but I feel like that can't be right because this clip reminded me that there was an entire Wild West-centered episode with Eleven that I actually did forget.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I move that, now that we have confirmation Disney are making notes, we blame them for every single problem with the show from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

Poor stage Doctor :ohdear:

This is the Doctor if he headed an Australian band in the 80s.