Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Unicorn and the Wasp isn't great but if it's the worst episode in a season it's a pretty good season.

Unlike Flux, which I recently finished watching. The finale ended up better than I expected, partly because my expectations were very low and partly because it jettisoned the Timeless Child plotline and just had a bunch of dumb action.

As a whole season it might be my favourite of Chibnall's era, which should be read as a condemnation of the others than as actual praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

For me they were at the end of the year so they were at the end of the season :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but tbh I think Missy got there first ngl.

John Simm's master had more than a bit of it too. One of his first scenes is all about telling people what he thinks is funny before he gases them to death.

"YOU'RE INSANE!"

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 5, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Still catching up on the last of Chibnall Who.

Eve of the Daleks was decent enough. Would have been nice if the Daleks had better aim and if the they explained how they knew the timeloop would end at midnight but those are pretty small criticisms that don't seriously undermine what was otherwise one of the best episodes of Chibnall's run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I just read through the whole Flux affair and holy moly is that indicative of the Chibnall series?
Not really. Chibnall's first season is bad in very different ways, for example.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Finally got around to Legend of the Sea Devils.

After the awfulness of the Timeless Children, the scattershot mess of Flux, and the surprising watchability of Eve of the Daleks it felt like a return to the mean for Chibnall: poorly plotted and edited but watchable in a mediocre way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The first episode of Invasion of the Dinosaurs has a really good atmosphere doesn't it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

God that clip makes me miss Moffat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

One thing that era did well is have enough extras around to make bases and facilities feel like actual places. It's a stark contrast to the near-empty drilling area in Hungry Earth / Cold Blood.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Timby posted:

No. It's never addressed. Unless I'm forgetting something huge, The Power of the Doctor just exists like the Flux never happened.

Vinder is in it, and I'm pretty sure the Daleks and Cybermen are responding to what the Doctor did in Flux.

But Vinder's role isn't tied to the events of Flux at all and the villains could just be responding to any time the Doctor thwarted their plans.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

He looks like he's been through a Time War or three

Don't you think he looks tired?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Confusedslight posted:

18 years since new doctor who began! Do we still call 2005 era new doctor who? Oh god I'm old. :corsair:

Revival era.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51JtuEa_OPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkmiefoRcfU

This one. It's pretty funny but it is an accurate description of what happened.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 25, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

One of my favourite bits of the show.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Wait we got that show because Tony Robinson went to walk around desert locales retelling bible stories? Blood and Honey is indirectly responsible for the 2005 reboot? That's amazing. I remember that show being on on Saturday or Sunday mornings and I watched it because I was a kid and the funny Blackadder man was on telly.

I wish it was easier to find the stuff like that that Tony Robinson did. Fat Tulip, Odysseus, etc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

OldMemes posted:

I haven't seen Warriors of the Deep yet, but from what I've heard, it could have been improved by:

1. Letting the monster costume dry after painting.
2. Turning the lights down so the set looks grim and industrial like the writer intended, not brightly lit.
3. Not letting Ingrid Pitt use karate on the Myrka.

2. would have gone a long way.

Also Warriors has one of the worst (ie best) cliffhangers in the classic series, where the Doctor falls a few meters into water and is immediately written off by Turlough despite floating to the surface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0_oHUEQmxc

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Honestly I really like the last Tom Baker/first JNT season. It's damning with faint praise to say that's the best that Adric ever works, but excepted The Leisure Hive and Meglos, it's a really strong run of episodes.
State of Decay is good, solid, classic Who and Warrior's Gate is one of the most enjoyably weird stories they've done. I've got a lot of nostalgia for that period because it's some of the first stuff I saw (I began with Nightmare on Eden during one of ABC's reruns in the 90s) but even putting that aside there's some great stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Invisible Enemy has some great model work at least.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Those rankings seem pretty reasonable. The only things I think should be moved signficantly would be Eaters of Light (higher) and Zygon two-parter (lower), with everything else being ~5-10 spots of where it should be.

Rochallor posted:

Anecdotes are not data and all that, but when I was teaching Harry Potter was still hugely popular among kids who were born roughly when the last book came out. The game was apparently a huge hit too.

Yeah Hogwarts costumes are a pretty regular thing at Halloween and Book Week here. Not ubiquitous in a way that I imagine they would have been 20 years ago but common enough.

I think a lot of people separate the art from the author, or aren't aware of the specifics of what she says (or of the topic) and just think it's like a normal difference of opinion rather than something truly noxious.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 18, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ben Soosneb posted:

Wasn't city of death helped by itv (the only other terrestrial chanel) being on strike? There was literally nothing else on.

It was but the other episodes around the time were still regularly getting 8-10M viewers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I still do not understand how Lungbarrow became Ghost Light.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"I knew that eggs are not bombs. I know they don't usually destroy their nests."

Putting aside the example of every parasite ever there are species whose newborn eat the eggs containing their siblings. There is absolutely no reason to think the egg wasn't laid there so it would have a nearby food supply when it emerged.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Inside Man is the most contrived bullshit I have ever seen.

Someone suggested out that the priest side of show would work if it was in Midsomer and they are right.