Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

This is a weird accusation because I've read The Writer's Tale and I know for a fact that actually, yes, DAVIES' original script for Unicorn and the Wasp DID have a """joke"" where Donna was going to say "Ten Little- " and the Doctor would interrupt her with the phrase "niggles aside".

Wisely cut.

christ almighty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Oh my god, I had no idea. That… really isn’t a good track record for RTD companions.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

• Drone, silver and blue - The Chase.
  • Taskforce Commander, black and blue - The Chase.
  • Emperor’s Guard, silver and blue with black dome - The Evil of the Daleks.
  • Drone, dark grey and black - The Day of the Daleks.
  • Earth Controller, gold and black - The Day of the Daleks.
  • Drone, silver and black - Death to the Daleks.
  • Necros, white and gold - Revelation of the Daleks.

I won’t be starting until we’ve settled into our new place so have a bit of time to decide, as well as ensuring I can dismantle it properly first. Despite the state it’s in it is still in better condition than the props in Destiny of the Daleks.

Emperor’s Guard, all the way. Such a cool colour scheme.

On another note, I was reading somewhere that before the announcement that RTD was coming back and while the Power of the Doctor was being written, the future of the show was in serious doubt - like, 1987-style hiatus doubt. This is why the episode has so many call-backs and stuff. Can anyone confirm?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

100% this. Just for example, Power of the Doctor started in media res and then never bothered to fill in what happened before. It’s a constant state of ‘well, why is that happening?’

And then the next question is inevitably ‘why on earth did that NEED to happen?’

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Creature posted:

Blowjob Brick is now a Disney princess.

oh good lord

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

OldMemes posted:

The Big Finish stuff benefited from not only having McGann there to perform and shape the character, but having clearly structured arcs and stories. I mean, there's missteps like C'Rizz,

as well as all the goddamn amnesia stuff in the early Eight audios, there was a lot of that

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

Really glad to see big finish putting out a download version of Excelis -- the list of things they don't offer as downloads is getting smaller

Excelis is extremely odd but worth a listen for Giles from Buffy alone

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The art style is just so goddamn ugly.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This isn’t the first time DW has spawned a cheap mobile game. I vaguely recall playing some color-match thing where you collected Doctors and Companions around the time of Smith’s second or third season.

Even this game you mention, which I played for a while, had better art and a bit of a story going.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Dabir posted:

There were a few of those, weren't there

There were a few point-and-click ones yeah, from the Matt Smith era.

They were pretty bad.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Infinitum posted:

What's the worst piece of Doctor Who media ever produced?

it's definitely Nekromanteia

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Perhaps, but a lot of that's been overstated by reactionary fans who were freaked out by the idea that ~*sex*~ might be happening in their precious Doccy Whos. The NAs are fairly lefty and progressive tbh. Certainly for the time, perhaps for now. There's an awkward story where someone -- not the someone people are probably thinking of -- just wholesale makes up First People culture for the sake of a story, but that's the only one that jumps to mind.

But there's also an extended attempt to grapple with Who's history of colonialism, and a lot of stories that directly talk about racism, cultural imperialism, fascism, the intersection of conservative politics and pop culture, revolutionary politics and activism, etc. It's not remotely cuddly about it, but it's very present throughout the series, both the NAs and the EDAs.

For my money BF's probably produced the worst stories -- Black and White, Exile, Nekromanteia all leap to mind, and that First Doctor story about evil space parasites (non-white immigrants). They've got a history of casting white actors in non-white roles in stories at least as recent as 2015, and a few recent stories have really struggled to grapple with fascism, but that's more them falling into liberalism than anything else.

Can you explain why Black and White is bad? I don’t think I’ve caught up that far but I dimly remember it on my list. Actually when I first read it I thought you meant Flip-Flop, which is also loving heinous.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Coward posted:

How about for clarity we just have two distinct eras? Pre- and Post- Doctor in Distress?

no

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hear me out on this- new Romana

please god let this be true

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

thank god

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

SecretOfSteel posted:

While we're thinking things through, I've always been a bit worried about Capaldi's first episode Deep Breath where it implies he maybe mugs that old distressed guy... what was that about 😞

Deep Breath was absolute pure garbage until the restaurant scene. The restaurant scene was amazing. Everything after was pretty good too.

Dunno how Moffat fumbled that opening so badly.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Just saw Michelle Gomez on an episode of Law and Order SVU as a villain. My god that woman can act. I wish there was some way of her reprising Missy on screen again, I haven’t got up to her Big Finishes.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Yannick_B posted:

Is Ncuti Gatwa gonna have a different (real awesome) look each episode??

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1656343357931520022

even if this is where the bigger budget is going to, I'd say it's well spent

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I'm tired of the Hive Mind in this thread that is constantly claiming multiple contradictory things all the time seemingly based on completely individual opinions based on a person's own unique perspective! :argh:

lol that's what I truly missed from reading the thread almost a decade ago now, near daily accusations that the thread was a Hive Mind except they couldn't actually agree on what the hive mind wanted

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think you've misread that story, I'd give the other stories in that set a go if you can manage it.

FWIW that story's written by Nicola Bryant's long time partner (and as far as I can tell she often has unofficial input into his scripts), and most of that material is being deployed with purpose.

I totally get if the material is distressing and unenjoyable, but I don't think the story itself is morally bankrupt.

it had want to be better than was described because that was heading into distinctly Nekromanteia territory

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Six and Charley is fantastic purely because so much of it involves Six going :thunk: as Charley fucks up trying to keep their "history" hidden :allears:

They did have a great dynamic together, better than her and Eight (though that may be controversial!)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn Capaldi was so loving good. Deep Breath's first half was awful but then it kicked into gear and it just got better and better as it went along.

I think I've said it before but the turning point is the restaurant scene. Everything before is bad and everything after is good.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Mummy on the Orient Express is so good.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

That moment when he puts the gun to his head and his theme song kicks in is like purestrain Doctor Who and I'll be chasing that high for a long, long time.

"By the way, you weren’t being paranoid. She really did poison your pony. Oh, and your father. Sorry."

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I appreciate all the conversation about Tom Baker's behavior on and after the show, but following CobiWann's joke I was doing a bit about the story from Tom Baker's biography where he and his friends all jerked off in a circle.

the gently caress

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

armpit_enjoyer posted:

You're devoting way more thought to this question than Chris Chibnall ever did. Just accept vibes based storytelling like the people working on the Witcher keep saying.

That was so infuriating to read, poo poo like that should not be rewarded

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Rochallor posted:

And in another story, Orr realizes a building is sentient when they feel their genitals transform into an elevator shaft, which is a sentence I did not think I would ever write.

That’s also a sentence that I did not think I would ever read.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Heaven Sent should have been first, it’s a loving masterpiece, but World Enough and Time is amazing as well. I still think about the implications of that black hole spaceship from time to time, such a cool setting and a natural fit for what happens in it.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I might sound pretty close minded by admitting this but as a massive fan of the book I absolutely can NOT bring myself to watch the show because of a single casting choice.

I love everything about the casting of Good Omens, and think I'd enjoy it a lot, but I just can't tolerate Jack Whitehall.

LIke, he's presence literally craters any interest I have in the show. From 100 to 0.

this is actually fair enough

and yes he is the living poster boy for nepotism

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Kchama posted:

His worst crime was ruining the good name of Emerson Cod.

seriously how dare he besmirch Chi McBride's best role

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Forktoss posted:

If Pip and Jane had been showrunners for the last five years I guarantee you we would have at least gotten five full seasons' worth of episodes delivered promptly on time

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I'm on Amy's Choice. I don't hate the concept of the Dream Lord, love me some psychic pollen and all that, but I hope they bring it back at some point. The doctor being the doctor's own enemy is a decent hook, and I don't think the Dream Lord has to be stuck only with that one specific trick.

Toby Jones is a treasure. His Dream Lord performance is one of the greats. Every line, loving golden.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

The final Sherlock ep was on tv again recently (one of the UK digital channels just plays it endlessly amongst their scheduling), and I watched (some of) it for the first time since broadcast. It is utterly poo poo, with nothing worth redeeming. Somehow I forgot that Sherlock’s sister literally has superpowers. :cripes:

I don't think I'll ever rewatch it. It completely destroyed any goodwill I had for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I also kind of like the implication that with Peri it's not the Sixth Doctor, it's the Curator.