Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TinTower posted:

If Chibnall was showrunner, he would not have had the sense of mind to refrain from dropping a reference to the original title of And Then There Were None in the final script.

This is a weird accusation because I've read The Writer's Tale and I know for a fact that actually, yes, DAVIES' original script for Unicorn and the Wasp DID have a """joke"" where Donna was going to say "Ten Little- " and the Doctor would interrupt her with the phrase "niggles aside".

Wisely cut.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Timby posted:

Seasons 1 - 4 came out annually between 2005 and 2008.

Plus Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood! They were making television.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Four was a full season FOLLOWED by a year of specials.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's no use, I've locked all the doors!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Watching all of Classic Who in a binge format is hellish. It's not modern television and it's not meant to be consumed that way; stick to the greatest hits. The other thing about the Fourth Doctor is that he has two-and-a-bit "eras" across seven years with some major tonal differences; mainly Phillip Hinchecliff's Hammer Horror-inspired gothic space peril, and Douglas Adams and co's more Bohemian adventure-comedies. Great Four stories include Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks, City of Death, The Ribos Operation, and The Pirate Planet.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think that people get overly angry when characters experience unjust or unfair fates. I thought Donna's tragedy was heartbreaking and horrible, but so did every single character in the show.

That being said, I think this opportunity to give her a happier ending or a self-driven conclusion is cool as a look back on the Doctor as a character and their regrets.

She doesn't strictly need a happy ending. She could make a fully informed sacrifice!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

What you're picking up on is that Catherine Tate is a comedian famous for self-deprecation and abrasive characters and Russell T. Davies was writing Donna to fit Tate's skill set and reputation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They also got Tate to play Magicia DeSpell on DuckTales against Tennant's Scrooge.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It is my opinion that Donna's more comedic Tate-y bits enhance, rather than detract from, her incredibly high-quality dramatic moments, and vice-versa. It affords her a depth and variety of character.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The destruction of Gallifrey isn't "undone", Gallifrey is spirited away from the moment of its destruction to parts unknown. All incarnations of the Doctor from points in his personal timeline prior to DotD will forget that this occured, and resume their lives assuming that Gallifrey was destroyed at their hand, because it was - that's a decision they still made. Multi-Doctor stories never stick in the memories of Emeritus Doctors.

The numbering of incarnations is, in fact, off by one. What that means in terms of regeneration limits is at that point unclear but does factor into Time of the Doctor, which is the final Eleven episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sly and McGann are almost the same height but the energy is so different

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Your username comes with amnesia it's fine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Welsh Series

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Last Christmas, only stakes are the immediate participants?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Part of the reason that Tennant was popular was that he was an attractive young man (which Smith, Capaldi and Whittaker all are not). Gatwa very definitely is.

Tennant's period is probably the third worst imo, better than Whittaker and CBakes.

Smith was a Tumblr hotboy

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Peri and the Piscon Paradox was an incredible Nev Fontain joint but I've honestly been disappointed with everything from him regarding Peri I've heard since.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's also true that the 9/10 screwdriver prop was prone to fragility and was eventually replaced by a modified version of the toy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Unicorn and the Wasp almost did not age well at all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yes, we know who she is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

And one of the companions was Kate Winselt

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hartnell: a man of his times, meaning he could be a bit racist/anti-Semitic sometimes

Troughton: see above; one of his ideas for the Second Doctor was to play him as a pirate in blackface/brownface

Pertwee: could be a bit egotistical at times, and also somewhat obsessed with money (per T. Baker)

T. Baker: as the show went on, he basically became the Doctor and vice versa; as a result he became increasingly difficult to work with (though, it should be said, he did later make amends with some of the people he'd clashed with, like JNT; or that he'd treated poorly, like Louise Jameson)

P. Davison: voiced an objection to casting a female Doctor when Jodie Whittaker was announced, and quit social media following backlash from fans about it

C. Baker: from all accounts a lovely man to work with, have never read a bad word about him from anyone

S. McCoy: same as C. Baker

P. McGann: same as C. Baker and S. McCoy

Colin Baker got dinged for serial reckless driving a little while ago, which is a very serious thing for me personally.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Warthur posted:

I will give Moffat this much: it makes sense she's ten steps ahead of the Doctor when she first shows up, because she's at the end of her timeline where she knows more than the Doctor does. But the steps ahead should have been dialled back on subsequent appearances as she got less ahead of the Doctor and the Doctor caught up with her.

The Husbands of River Song is literally about this flip.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There was, during Moffat's run, an extremely popular paranoid assumption that Moffat's writing was borne out of arrogance or spite. Many people cling to this baseless assumption to this day.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's also important to remember that in the '60s '70s '80s television was sort of a monoculture. If you've been on a drama like the brothers, everyone knew about it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

McGann is filming... always filming...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Is "no cannibalism" a real one?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Chibnall Who: terrible, and such small portions

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's horror! It's not "not followed up on", it's a key part of Missy's plan - terrify the public in order to secure corpses for cyber-conversion and also because she thinks it's funny. If no one thinks the dead feel pain, no one donates bodies to her scheme.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kind of giving me a vibe of the Nelvana concept art.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

Finally finished Heaven Sent in my rewatch, which I hadn't seen since it's original airing, and Moffat can be so drat frustrating. He's capable of some amazing scripts and stories that my mind tends to gravitate to when I think back on what is Doctor Who. Heaven Sent is quite possibly my favorite episode of the entire revival and Capaldi absolutely knocks it out of the park in a incarnation defining performance...but then Hell Bent...

Is almost as good!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bad horse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

He's bad!