Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
12 had a very clear emotional arc throughout his series about him mellowing over time. Him going from 'Am I a good man?' to his 'Kindness is always right' speech at the end was a fantastic journey, but it did mean you basically got a season of him at the start being very explicitly written as Malcolm Tucker. And if the Doctor being this fun handsome space man making Wibbly Wobbly jokes in a fez is what you enjoy out of Who, that first season was really not written for you at all.

I get why people bounce off 12, even if I think divorced from the rest of the show his years were the strongest the show has ever been both in terms of writing and performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
One of the worst things about Chibnalls run is how he just threw all the Masters character development and relationship to the Doctor, especially Missy's, out the window and turned him back into a one dimensional comic book villain. We saw Missy finally turn to help the Doctor and then like 13 episodes later he's planting bombs in planes and straight up trying to murder her again.

I know sometimes Who just blows up it's universe to stop the continuity bogging it down, but we got like 5 years and an entire Doctor between Simm's Master lightening-bolting Rassalion, and Missy's reveal. It was way too soon to go back to that well, even if Dhawan's performance itself almost made up for it.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
RTD's first run would have been far better if a boring Disney suit-type was there to offer the odd 'uh maybe don't have this character gently caress a pavement slab in the mouth' type note.