Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Please see a doctor if at all possible. We're all concerned, and while I can't speak for literally everybody, I don't believe it to be in a snarky, dismissive, concern-trolling way used to win an argument or score message board points or whatever.

You're seemingly making connections between disparate, unrelated things that make it feel like you're getting closer to some hidden truth, and that is almost never actually happening when it feels like it's happening.

On the off chance you've not taken some meds, get back on 'em if you can. And if you stopped on purpose for the reasons people usually do, my younger self often included, they're life-saving and wonderful and you're not somehow more the "real you" for not having taken them.

And if you are on meds, and there have been any changes to them recently, definitely speak to your prescriber.

No matter what, we hope you're well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He didn't even loving DO anything with that. He just shat on years of storytelling for shits and giggles.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Chibnall, I think, is bad.
Jodie, however, is very very good.
I don't even bother to listen to any "Chibnall bad" takes that don't exonerate Jodie immediately.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Narsham posted:

I have to say that what really irritated me was after Eleven saved Gallifrey and Tom told him it was still out there, just lost… and then Moffat never did anything with that at all and it was just casually there again during Twelve’s run. “Here’s an interesting story I will set up and then never do anything with” bugs me more than “here’s a really bad idea I had but then let drop without further development.”
Unless I've misunderstood something, the entire season-long Hybrid story with the confession dial culminated in the excellent Heaven Sent and The Doctor finding Gallifrey at the end of that episode, but basically loving off again because they weren't going to let him save Clara, which felt to me like dealing with it without dealing with it. It felt like maybe that was a way to quell the nagging questions of "why isn't The Doctor looking for Gallifrey" while leaving the larger arc of it for an anniversary, big special, new showrunner, whatever. It was out there, but just like it started, The Doctor was a fugitive again and couldn't go back to deal with whatever larger implications of Gallifrey being around again.

But then Chibnall just blew it up off-screen so we'd know The Master was a bad guy again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm fine with The Master still being evil because the possibility exists now for each new incarnation. Each Doctor can now, should they explore this, really, truly give each new Master a chance, and some may be cartoons and some may be evil by default because of circumstances, and some may be more like Missy wound up.

But then they had him genocide he and The Doctor's whole race and welp.

So, yeah. I hope we learn that this Master came before Missy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You're not wrong, but viewers care about those people a lot less than they do the Time Lords.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

I'm sure people have been over this to death over the past few years, but goddamn this was stupid.
Not really? Like, people nitpick Moffat way more than Chibnall because that's something you can only really do when something gets almost everything right and then loses you. That's fun to poke at and unpack and examine.

With Chibnall's run, this thread has mostly been like, "none of this makes sense even at all." "Yup."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's going to be a plot reason for it anyway. 13 and 14 looked at their clothes changing with surprise.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Agreed, but given what the British press is doing to trans people right now I'm honestly really thankful Rusty sidestepped it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is she trans?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, that actually gives me the warm fuzzies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Interestingly, BBC press office says the specials will start airing in November next year, and Millie Gibson will make her debut ‘during the festive season’.
So how long has it been since we got a complete season in one year now?

I just want more is all. :(

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hell Bent's greatest sin is coming after possibly the best single episode in the history of the show.

When something's in the running like that, you don't wanna' follow it.

DinerTARDIS was great.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moffat's run was amazing pretty much the whole way through, even when it was dodgy.

Chibnall only managed about three good episodes and he had to bring back most living Doctors to achieve one of them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I maintain that The Timeless Child stuff was actually a great idea done terribly.

Having the Time Lords be the aristocracy that stole everything that made them special was a great way for them to continue representing real-world power structures.

But making The Doctor be the center of that was poo poo. If it had to be somebody we know, it should've been The Master.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SHE'S STILL AROUND AND NOBODY'S DONE THIS!?

What the gently caress are they waiting for?!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Has there ever been three years in a row with a new series featuring the same Doctor since the reboot?

This really seems like it's been normal the whole time to me. But it's the Beeb. I'm just surprised whenever they make more of anything ever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

Seasons 1 - 4 came out annually between 2005 and 2008.
But those had 2 different doctors and 4 wasn't a complete season, wasn't it? Wasn't that the year of specials?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You threw shade at one of the only good episodes of his whole run.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rosa. Demons is the other one.

At least, the other one that didn't have to pull most of the living Doctors out of its rear end to land.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I worry we don't have a prayer of fixing that problem until we all collectively decide capitalism sucks first.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've been so disappointed in the Chibnall years that I've never worn my 13 cosplay or even her coat past that first Halloween, but today I'm having an aunt and uncle over for an early Christmas dinner and at least got to dust off those wonderful boots of hers.

Here's my dilemma: do I just give up on the cosplay and move these boots into regular rotation or do I hold out hope that the bad feelings will subside and I'll be stoked to dress as 13 again someday?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sold! Thank you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

The show was so lucky to get Hurt for the War Doctor. I’d love to know if Moffat had anyone else in mind.
Besides Eccleston, you mean? Because I'm curious myself. Has he ever talked about other options?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm glad they're seemingly going back and undoing that whole mind-wiping Donna business.

At least I hope. Why bring her back if not that?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There was a viewership decline because there was a radical shift in how people consume media, though. Viewership for literally everything is down because audiences are more fragmented than they've ever been.

When Tennant began, only dorks had smartphones and we all watched Netflix by having DVDs mailed to us.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

That's really cool, and I do wish Moffat could have worked out something with Eccleston... but also I absolutely loved John Hurt as The War Doctor and I wouldn't want to ever risk that incredible 50th Anniversary Special we did get. Though maybe in some alternate reality, Good Jerusalem (we're the bad universe, obviously) is saying the same thing about never wanting to lose the Eccleston 50th?
I'm sure glad nobody's making me choose, 'cause aside from Hackers and Army of Darkness, I've likely seen Day of the Doctor more times than any other movie.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hurt really sells that with his subtle, pained look right before returning to being all smiles with "but for now..."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If the clip's posted I have to watch it. Those are the rules.

I've been working on a screenplay and there's a section in the climax that's shorthanded in my notes as just ALL THIRTEEN because past me knew present me would absolutely know what to do there.

Gods, that moment.

And I really do need to stress that aside from a gal I knew making us all watch The Christmas Invasion one year at a party (and me not really liking it because as introductions go, it sucked. The Doctor's barely in it), I had never seen any Doctor Who when I watched Day of the Doctor.

I then watched it nearly every single night for an entire year.

My old man had just been diagnosed with cancer and I needed something there was a lot of to binge in the background while I had sixteen browser tabs open and my phone out and was fully an entire fifth of bourbon deep trying in vain to keep myself from feeling the pain. I'd watch 3-4 episodes of Who, then Day of the Doctor. Always, always, always Day of the Doctor. It was exactly the uplifting bit of optimism I needed to get me through the single worst period of my life.

I know I'm the only one who wants this, but I really hope Moffat comes back once-in-a-while for funsies now that his buddy's back at the helm.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That is just delightful.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Engaging in and/or reading others' competitive prognostication is something with which I believe I'm reaching my lifetime limit after arguing on the internet this last quarter-century.

None of us knows what is happening now, nor what is going to happen here. We seem to agree that Disney interfering with the show would be troubling, but not whether or not it will happen or if it is already happening (via network notes, which every network has always given) and frankly, I don't see the utility in arguing about it when "if it happens, it's worrying, but we'll see what that means when these shows air" is right there.

But that isn't a position that facilitates the opportunity for a years-later I-told-you-so that gives you that sweet, sweet "nobody believed me, but I proved them wrong" dopamine hit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Was there any speculation or casting of the next Master?
I hope they don't. He was great in the role and deserves some great stories and some closure before we move on to the next.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm a little Mastered out myself, now that you mention it. Partly because they undid all that wonderful development they got with Missy.

But Sacha Dhawan was so wonderful to watch, so I was willing to go along.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've not seen the classic series aside from Genesis of the Daleks, so they've not really moved backwards with the Master before for me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ages ago when I first discovered Who, I tried to watch what was out there in chronological order and found there was literally no way to do that legally, (or even easily via :filez:) so I never got to do it.

Is it easier now?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the BBC Eigthth Doctor,
What's the BBC Eighth Doctor? I was under the impression that the American TV movie and Big Finish were it until Night of the Doctor and this most recent ep.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Got it. And those were made through the Beeb?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Huh. Neat. Thank you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've watched them all twice and with rare exception, I don't remember Chibnall's run. Like, at all.

It just falls out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's a fantastic metaphor.