Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Ah the bane of any group shot - Ian and Jo thought it was a different camera!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Captain Fargle posted:

Just watched the latest ep after being very burned out on the show for a long while, it was an extremely good time. Absolute nonsense but extremely fun nonsense and I could watch Sacha Dhawan chew scenery forever.

Pretty much my take. I dropped out early in the Chibnall run and decided that seein the old docs was enough motivation to get me out and I'm glad I did. A weird mess but enjoyable, and the scenes with Tegan and Davison really hit me. (The Ace/Doc stuff even though they're my favorite hit less hard, go figure!)

And yeah very very fun performance of The Master.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

- The script ends without Fourteen's reveal.

IIRC RTD left Smith's first lines to Moffat to write - was this tradition carried on for Moffat to Chibnall and then again back to RTD?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

RTD was loudly and upfront about having constant gay representation on mid-aughts television when that wasn't entirely taboo like it would have been earlier, but it was still maybe eyebrow raising for a family show (I mean, idk for sure, I'm an American, maybe that was commonplace in the UK). But it was something he made a point of doing and even said so in Writer's Tale. I hope now he's similarly bold about other queer folks but I'm pessimistic.

EDIT: ⌄⌄⌄ oh duh yeah.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 17, 2022

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I've had at this point a dozen tedious arguments with a fellow nerd friend of mine who doesn't like that episode specifically because he hates "Hell Bent". I don't mind that episode and I get not liking it, but I mean, Heaven Sent is a goddamn masterpiece.

That's Moffat's best ep right? For his various showrunning shenanigans and how much up his own rear end he'd jump some times, he still managed to pull out some spectacular stuff.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 28, 2022

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah it seems like RTD did an ok job with the books side of it - the series got all wonky under Moffat's tenure. IIRC his pitch for splitting the series was "well now we get to have EVEN MORE DRAMATIC cliffhangers." lol

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Moffat's running gag of people's different reactions to entering the TARDIS was one of my favorite parts of his era, and that was a nice little payoff.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I loved Christmas Carol, Last Christmas, and Twice Upon A Time. I enjoy when Moffat goes for the holiday melancholy, his zanier (or just straight up bad - The Doctor, The Widow, and the Wardrobe) ones were a miss for me. But the River Song one had a couple great moments, as linked above.

I think probably my favorite RTD is The Runaway Bride. Tennant and Tate just have chemistry immediately and are a lot of fun together.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The romance with Rose/unrequited stuff with Martha was extremely tiring (to me) and not only Donna completely lacking that but then also just calling him out on his bullshit constantly was great.

I don't mind them hammering the reset button to get people's attention again, I loved the Capaldi era and (most of) its stories, but it definitely wasn't for everyone. And then I stopped watching during Chibnall. I wonder once we get into the actual series if the show will follow the general formula RTD set out for each series (intro, far future, past, two parter, etc etc) which generally worked pretty well for him (and Moffat when he stuck to it).

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Holy poo poo, what a great trailer for that collection.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The Daleks are my problematic fave.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

RTD is a showman and he'll say wild things and do big splashy setpieces to get as many eyeballs as possible on the show. It worked really well for him!

I didn't like it at the time, but I'm looking forward to his second run.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah I think maybe the most positive this thread was probably around the Eleventh Hour or so when people warmed up to Smith but hadn't soured on Moffat's showrunning.

There was also a ton of ~age gap discourse~ about the Doctor being sweet on Rose.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

CobiWann posted:

I remember when British fans were worried about Catherine Tate being on the show, even just for the Christmas special.

Listen, I wish James Corden just remained a guy that was in a very light and fun episode (and another one that was fine) in my mind.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I think some shows and plenty of genre shows completely get away with it (including Doctor Who, even outside of Chibs tenure), and sometimes its exhausting to sit and watch a show that is obsessed with creating rules for it to follow, but it makes stakes have pretty much no meaning if you just keep increasing them without having any material value to them (see: Voyager).

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Bring back Jamie Mathieson!

Absolutely one of the best writers from that run. I wouldn't mind seeing Sarah Dollard's name in credits again either.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm a month younger than Ncuti :negative:

His birthday is on the 15th of October, so happy birthday!

EDIT: I don't understand time.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 15, 2023

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

TL posted:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cyv5zgqKpJP/

Ncuti’s season two has started filming.

I'm glad that the production machine for Doctor Who is working more consistently than it has in a long time, I just kind of hate the new normal of production where the next season is in production before we've even seen an episode of the current one. If there's a crazy audience break out thing they want to harness, it'll next be seen in season three!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Shame there's no indication Alex Kingston has been cast for the specials, given that's one of the first things River Song said to him (though the "well, his eyes looked old because he knew what happens to her" thing worked well enough). Well, it'll happen in Big Finish sooner or later I guess.

I suspect that RTD will do the same thing he did last time and flatten and avoid continuity/heavy nostalgia appeals in an effort to not lose a large audience.