Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Hi gang, just gonna crosspost this tidbit from the RLM thread in GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Astroman posted:

As an American growing up in the 80s and seeing DW inconsistently on various PBS runs, I would devour the Target novels as my only way to see (or resee) certain episodes. Some of them could really give you a totally different take if you'd never seen it before reading an episode.

That was basically me as well, I remember excitedly going to various bookstores and checking to see what new Target novelizations they had on the shelves that week.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

apophenium posted:

e. Side note it's interesting to see so many posters from the AEW threads in here. Not a crossover I'd expect!

My two greatest interests throughout the 1980s absolutely were Doctor Who and pro wrestling :c00l:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

RandolphCarter posted:

William Regal as The Master.

Odd, I can't find the "like" button for this post :confused:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody can hopefully correct any details I have wrong, but I believe there were issues around overworking the cast and crew which Eccleston I believe tried to prevent by putting his foot down and refusing to normalize working beyond the maximum hours that are supposed to be allowed on set, thinking that without him they'd have no choice but to pull back. Instead, they just worked around that by scheduling Billie Piper's stuff for those extra hours of filming, and she was too new/inexperienced in acting to feel confident standing up against that type of thing. I believe Eccleston also wasn't overly happy with the way the production ran in general, he'd come in with different expectations from his experience of working with RTD on The Second Coming.

Also IIRC, when he'd finally decided to leave at the end of the season, he thought he'd arranged to do so quietly and without controversy...only for stories about how he was "tired" and "overwrought" to start not-at-all-coincidentally appearing in the British press. I vaguely remember reading something around the time when he started doing the Big Finish stuff, where he'd said when that happened, it completely soured any relationships he'd had (working or otherwise) with the people he'd worked with at the BBC and RTD and his production crew. And that as far as he was concerned, no steps had been taken by any of them since then to repair things.

quote:

Beyond that though, in the last couple of years it's come out that Noel Clarke acts very inappropriately on set (not just on Doctor Who, but also on his own productions where he was the driving force behind some apparently very misogynistic behavior), and John Barrowman had a "hilarious" reputation for just taking his cock out and slapping it around on people's shoulders and near their faces.

And when he was called out on it, Barrowman first tried to play it off as just high-spirited japery meant to keep everyone's spirits up on set (quite how some guy flashing his meat around is supposed to achieve that, I dunno), then tried the "I was a different person back then" excuse, as though it happened during his teens and not when he was in his late 30s/early 40s. I believe he finally delivered the usual grudging "sorry if you took offense" non-apology that most people who do that sort of thing tend to give. I think he also hopped on the "cancel culture" bullshit bandwagon, to really drive the point home that he doesn't actually understand why people weren't overjoyed every time he pulled his dick out on set.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I prefer Emerson Cod, Lake and Palmer myself

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Confusedslight posted:

I still don't know if you're doing a bit.

It has to be a bit; everyone knows that if the Royals actually had the missing eps of DW stashed away, old neckbearded Whovians would have risen up against them in such a way as to make the French Revolution look like a minor dispute between labor and management

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Narsham posted:

Post history shows inactivity since 2021 with a few short posts prior to that in threads titled AMA I’m a Time Traveler and Proof of Time Travel, mocking the OP of those threads, Tapes From the Future.

Recent history is two cryptic posts (one looks like a hash) followed by what we’re getting, which is Tapes From the Future right down to the same website with that name attached.

Tapes has been probated for “get help” reasons but not banned, so I don’t know why they’d be posting using another account. I don’t think there’s much we can do to assist.

Has anyone contacted the CIA (Celestial Intervention Agency)?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Khanstant posted:

I just hope they don't try and make every episode a bigger and bigger escalating deal, I want some episodes where they fart around history and basically nothing happens, but in a chill way, not in the "a bunch of destructive stuff happened but also it's nothing and doesn't matter"

The story that's widely considered the best Classic DW story ever, namely "The Caves of Androzani", literally had no stakes greater than "The Doctor and Peri have to get off of Androzani Minor alive ". RTD's constantly escalating stakes at the end of every season got to be rather grating and made each successive finale more and more ridiculous.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Rhyno posted:

Isn't that widely considered good because of the view while the Doctor is regenerating?

If that was the case, then the bulk of the Sixth Doctor's first season must just be considered the all-time greatest season of DW ever

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

The_Doctor posted:

I assume the Tennant specials took some of the budget of a full 10 episode season + Xmas special

Disney's footing the bill so it's probably more just about people's availability in this case

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Rhyno posted:

i'm sorry are you implying that it isn't?

I tried rewatching it last year and I couldn't even make it through Vengeance on Varos

Colin Baker really got the short end of the stick in just about every way during his run on DW

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

FilthyImp posted:

the Chibnall series?

It loving sucked!

Fixed that for you :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Part of the problem with using Rosa Parks in a DW story is that it's a very specific cultural touchstone for African-Americans, one that I honestly don't feel a white British person is capable of handling properly, no matter how well-intentioned they might be, because they don't have the necessary cultural context. It'd be like if an American sci-fi show decided "hey let's do an episode featuring the Brixton riots" or something like that.

Besides, Britain has plenty of its own issues with racism that DW could be addressing, like when Ace discovered the "NO COLOUREDS" sign in the window way back in "Remembrance of the Daleks". The show doesn't need to go across the pond to do a "racism is bad and here's a historical example of why" story.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
It's very good that Chibnall did that, though I still say it would have been better for him to focus on some important events in Britain's history when it comes to issues of race relations and racism on a British TV show. But I suspect that picking a prominent American figure like Rosa Parks might have been an easier "sell" in terms of getting the episode made, because she is a well-known figure internationally, and these days modern DW is very much a show that's made with an international viewing audience in mind.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

JoylessJester posted:

If Who's going to do a civil rights episode it's going to be American-based, because that's safe ground that doesn't implicate Britain.

Oh I agree, apart from some stuff during the Pertwee era and the aforementioned moment from Remembrance, DW isn't in any hurry to remind Britain of its own historical racial issues.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Astroman posted:

That was a powerful moment and one of the best social commentaries in the show. It was far better to show things how they were, then try to shoehorn in "but actshually there COULD have been a black soldier in Queen Victoria's time" or "we'll have a middle ages village look like modern London with all ethnicities so it looks like now for the viewers" instead of talking about how things really were at the time.

100% agreed. It's just as dangerous to pretend racism never actually existed as it is to pretend that it no longer exists.

quote:

Can you imagine if they did Marco Polo now and had white people (not in yellowface, just actual white people) in ancient China and say "well there's lots of white people there in now in places like Hong Kong, so..."

I recently watched a video talking about Talons of Weng-Chiang where they not only pointed out some of the really egregious examples of casual racism (including one that was delivered, sadly, by The Doctor) present in that story, but called bullshit on having John Bennett playing Chang by pointing out that all the other Chinese characters in the story were played by actors who were of Chinese ancestry, so there was no plausible excuse to cast a white actor in the role of Chang.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Oh man, very sad to hear that :(

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Rewatching The Face of Evil tonight in Chris Boucher's honor. RIP.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Random Stranger posted:

I decided to watch some classic Who tonight and got it in my head to watch through Tom Baker's run again. But Robot sure is a weak way to kick off an amazing set of stories. I don't think it's my least favor Four serial, but it's close. At least now that I've cleared that hurdle, it's amazing story after amazing story for while.

Been doing that myself, after doing a watch through of Pertwee's run first. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This week's random story was Invasion of the Dinosaurs which is probably the low point of special effects of that era - Robot looks like Star Wars in comparison. Pity, really, because there's a load of good stuff in the story. Too many cliffhangers are "someone being threatened by a dinosaur, with them not otherwise appearing in the episode" but that's a small crime compared to some (eg, the very next story has a cliffhanger - due to poorly timed scripts - where someone looks at a floor)

Completely agreed, Invasion of the Dinosaurs is really good story-wise, with a lot of twists and turns that even impact the beloved "UNIT family" as it neared the end of its run. And any story where Peter Miles plays an antagonist is generally an excellent story (The Silurians, Dinosaurs, and of course Genesis of the Daleks). The only really bad part of it is the dinosaur puppets, but if anyone's watching 1970s DW expecting to see high-quality SFX, then something is definitely wrong with them :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Random Stranger posted:

I did like the design of the robot's head and body. His spindly arms and clamps, on the other hand...

The way the robot walked didn't do it any favors either, I kept expecting it to go "ooh me hip" whenever it bent over to pick something up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

My reading has slowed to a crawl over the last couple of weeks due to moving home but I have at least managed to resume and finishing reading The Invasion. Much like The Dalek Invasion of Earth it’s a almost a 1:1 adaption of the story, although the former is better than the latter in this stance and still does take some advantages the book medium offers. I should also point out that the author does a great job carrying over Kevin Stoney’s marvellous performance as Tobias Vaughn, and the character is as much a delight to read as he is to watch in the tv serial.

Outside of the usual minor differences there are a few noticeable changes from the serial.

• The book is much more violent than what we see on screen. We get a vivid description of the brains of the driver at the start being splattered all over the cab of his lorry. Those killed by cyberweaponry die agonising deaths as their flesh is almost melted off their bones. As a result Packer and Vaughn’s demise is quite horrendous compared to the TV serial.
  • Packer’s more sadistic tendencies are amplified in the book, but Gregory has a very unsympathetic portrayal. In the TV serial he is something of a nervous browbeaten man who’s position isn’t much better than that of Professor Watkins. Indeed at one point he tries to protect the professor and is knocked to the floor and threatened by Vaughn for his trouble. Book Gregory is a greasy, seedy nasty little man who makes no such effort to defend the professor.
  • While Packer meets the same fate as in the serial, Gregory is shot and killed by UNIT as they rescue Professor Watkins, as opposed to being executed by the Cybermen on the orders of Packer.
  • Another significant deviation is the fate of General Rutlidge. After being summoned to Vaughn’s office he just sort of vanishes from the story in the TV serial. In the book he attempts to shoot Vaughn after witnessing the Cyber-Planner, but Vaughn exerts his mind control over the general and forces him to shoot himself instead.
  • The Cybermen are shown in much greater numbers than on the show. There is a vast warehouse of activated Cybermen and Packer is ordering squadrons made up of dozens down into the sewers as opposed to the two we see on screen.

Overall I enjoyed the book, although it didn’t reach the heights of Doctor Who and the Cybermen, but I suspect that book is going to be dethroned in the near future.

I don't have the link handy, but I recently read that in one of the DW fanzines that were published in the years following the show's hiatus, Nigel Robinson (who I believe was one of the editors of the Target range of DW novelizations, as well as an occasional contributor) mentioned in an interview that Ian Marter (aka Harry Sullivan, and author of various DW Target novelizations, including The Invasion) was always pushing the envelope in regards to what he could get away with...in particular, mentioning how Marter's novelization of The Rescue had some severe editing done as he'd decided to open the book with an enthusiastic and none-too-subtle description of the act of fellatio.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Vinylshadow posted:

Isn't it usually "The Doctor stumbles into a Dalek plot" rather than "The Daleks actively seek out the Doctor"?

Although the latter has been happening a lot recently, even if it's usually a trap or they want the Doctor to defeat an enemy they cannot

It happened as far back as The Daleks' Master Plan during the Hartnell era, IIRC. So it's not all that recent a thing, really. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

I found the quote from the interview, specifically it was from the Broadsword fanzine, issue 5 I believe (I actually saw a scanned copy of it as well, but couldn't find the link to it):

Nigel Robinson posted:

Probably the manuscripts which needed the least editing were Ian Marter's. The Rescue, for instance, was left "unfinished" at the time of his death. But apart from my adding a couple of scenes here and there, and tidying up a few lines, there was very little work for me to do on his books. He did have a tendency to see how much he could get away with however: I cut an entire scene from the first chapter of The Rescue where he was more or less discussing the delights of fellatio, and I often had to tone down the blood and guts in some of his other novels (I also insisted he change the end of Harry Sullivan's War [originally called War of Nerves] to ensure that our hero survived).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Also OP is spot on about Amy and River being absolutely insufferable characters

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://twitter.com/BarnabyEdwards/status/1607424263526440968

Very sad news. A lot of us will remember him as the first actor to play Space Commander Travis in the first season of Blakes 7, but he also did some work on DW (both The Infinite Quest and some of the Big Finish DW ranges) and appeared in a lot of other British TV productions during his career.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Disney had planned to do one Star Wars movie every year, so the fact they have basically abandoned the cinematic element of the franchise for the foreseeable future should be a pretty clear indicator that things haven't exactly been going to plan for the House of Mouse with that particular IP

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Yannick_B posted:

I mean, that's true but they're making very popular shows on Disney +, so it's not like the ship has sunk either.

Trying to put out a Star Wars movie every year was a mistake because the movies are built in a way that's hard to make well every year (even the shows barely manage to be yearly) and they soured the well with Rise Of Skywalker (a film that I believe no one likes, but non-nerdy audience just sort of forgot about). But there are still popular cartoons and video games still coming out! The new Jedi Order sequel trailer was one of the most awaited things at the last Game Awards. The movies are in a slump, but Star Wars overall isn't really in trouble.

The problem is that the TV shows, cartoons, and video games aren't where Disney makes their money when it comes to Star Wars, though. That's merchandising and movies, and the idea was that SW was a big enough franchise that it would handily support one SW movie per year (aka "they'll watch any old poo poo as long as it says Star Wars on it"; which, until recent years, actually wasn't a bad bet to make). They need big tentpole movies to drum up interest in the merch and other associated products (like the TV shows and cartoons and video games). The fact that they're not making these movies is, again, a pretty serious indicator that SW as a franchise is not doing as well as Disney hoped. Sure, they sold merch based on the other properties, but (outside of Baby Yoda, maybe), my guess is that they haven't sold nearly as much as they would've if there had also been a SW movie released. Without the movies to keep driving up interest in the other SW stuff, Disney is practically leaving money on the table.

Now that DW's production is being at least partly funded by Disney, it's going to have to do very well indeed to justify the money Disney's throwing RTD's way. I don't think Disney is going to come down with creative dictates or anything, but if it doesn't meet whatever metrics it needs to on Disney+ to be considered successful, it could be problematic in terms of where the show is seen outside of the UK once the initial deal expires. Obviously we won't know until after it's aired, but I would imagine wanting it to make a big splash right out of the gate is precisely why RTD wanted to bring Tennant back.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can we just have one thread on these forums where people don’t constantly insist on the supposedly inevitable death and ruining of [Star Wars/Marvel/insert IP here] at the hands of Disney with unfounded rumors and regurgitated clickbait?

Go spout that poo poo on twitter like everyone else.

1. Nobody should be using Twitter anymore

2. Given that DW is in part funded by Disney now, I'd say it's fair game for comparison

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Donna was the first companion since the revival started that didn't want to romance the Doctor, have unrequited love for the Doctor, or try to jump the Doctor's bones, so in that regard she was an absolute breath of fresh air

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

howe_sam posted:

It's not too surprising they're providing notes, but the great thing about "network" notes when you're a Welsh giant highly respected tv producer is you can read them and say thanks but no thanks.

You mean like in the example RTD cited, where he changed the opening after they told him they didn't like it?

E: My 2 cents worth: RTD ain't rocking the boat when it comes to handling input from Disney. He's clearly stated he wants DW to be a franchise on the level of Marvel or Star Wars, and he's obviously perfectly willing to accept money and input from Disney to achieve that goal. I'm pretty sure he'd only object if Disney asked him to remove something because "it's too gay/ethnic/likely to offend our partners in China" (obviously not in such explicit terms, of course). But I don't see him doing anything to piss off the House of Mouse otherwise.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 6, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dabir posted:

Sometimes, and this might be a reach but bear with me, the person making the creative suggestion might have a point, and RTD might agree with it. I'm willing to take him at his word that the first episode opening wasn't as fun as the others, and that wasn't intentional, and when he had that pointed out to him he enthusiastically made it more fun.

We'll see how this turns out when we get it, I guess.

It's entirely possible, to be sure, but I would point out that Disney is not exactly known for embracing the "auteur" theory and letting the creative types have the final say in whatever projects Disney is funding. If Disney is providing money (and an international streaming platform outside of the UK) for the show, then they're going to have some say in what goes into the show. Depending on what things Disney requests them to do, it's then up to RTD and co. to decide if going against whatever changes Disney asks them to make is a hill worth dying on for them or not. My guess is that by and large, they'll go with the flow. As you say, though, we'll just have to wait and see for now.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Narsham posted:

From the interview: “ Russell: And that’s a good example of Disney notes. They sent us a note on episode one [of Ncuti’s first series] that said, “That opening isn’t as much fun as the other episodes.” It was a great note. So I’ve written a new opening –”

He said the note was “great,” and he said they changed the opening because it was a great note.

I’d say I don’t know how anyone goes from RTD telling a story about how Disney has been improving things on the series with their notes and concludes that Disney has taken the show hostage and RTD is sweating bullets over it, but I’ve spent enough time here to know precisely how that happens.

The BBC has always been in a position to ruin the show without any help from Disney, anyway. Nor does Disney own the show, unlike all those other properties it bought up. I’ll point out that Disney seems perfectly happy to let Feige run the MCU and their purchase actually cleared away some of the interference he was getting from Marvel. Given that it isn’t just RTD but that he has Julie Gardner to run interference with Disney and the BBC as needed, I’m reasonably confident Bad Wolf Productions can fend off any interference. It worked in 2005, 18 years ago…

Disney doesn't just let Feige do what he wants with Marvel, they have specific things they do and don't want to have in their movies and they want their Marvel movies to be done a certain type of way. Which is why Edgar Wright ended up leaving the first Ant-Man movie, to name but one example. It's the same with Star Wars when they kicked Lord & Miller off of Solo (ironically, for trying to be too funny with it).

Disney does not own the IP for Doctor Who, you're correct in that. They're just providing a portion of the show's budget as well as its only available distribution outside of the UK (maybe Europe as well? Not 100% sure if the BBC broadcasts terrestrially there or not). If you don't think that arrangement gives Disney a certain amount of power, or that RTD will happily say "the changes they suggested were absolutely brilliant" in an interview in order to keep that business relationship sweet, well then I guess we'll just have to agree that we see things differently and let it go at that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I'm just chuckling at how, in the last thread when it was reported Disney had actual financial input into the show, I got told that was fear-mongering nonsense and clearly untrue, Disney only had the rights to stream the episodes outside of the UK. And then it turned out that whoops, yes, Disney is actually contributing to the budget of the show. And now that it's being reported that Disney requested changes that RTD was perfectly happy to comply with--and not changes due to violent or adult tone or content, but because something wasn't "fun" enough in Disney's view, whatever that means--people are falling over themselves to justify how that's fine too. :rolleyes:

I hope the series and whatever spinoffs RTD comes up with justify y'all's faith in him, and that the show gets a chance to be good once again; lord knows you guys deserve it after Chibnall's run. That said, you'll forgive me if I'm just the tiniest bit cynical about the whole thing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Infinitum posted:

How much say did Colin have in choosing his costume back in the day?

Was LSD involved?

None, it was purely the idea of the producer at the time, John Nathan-Turner. He had the "brilliant" idea of giving the Sixth Doctor a "totally tasteless" costume to go along with his abrasive personality.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Coward posted:

Imagine if Saward had had to do Christmas episodes.

E: this is adding more horror to my Pip and Jane Baker: Showrunners alternate timeline.

Now I'm picturing the alternate universe where Pip and Jane were the script editors under JNT, and Saward had to fill in for them after they quit during Trial of a Time Lord.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
It should be noted that while some writers from the Virgin Books and BBC Books DW ranges (Virgin did mainly the still-current-at-the-time 7th Doctor novels, and BBC Books handled the then-recent 8th Doctor stuff just after the TV Movie aired; both publishers also did "Past Doctors" novels, with 7 joining the ranks of the BBC Books PDA range) often contributed to Big Finish when they got the DW license, others didn't, including Lawrence Miles (sometimes referred to as "Mad Larry" in these threads).

Miles was very bitter indeed about Big Finish starting up, as he felt that people would quit reading the books now that "real" DW (i.e., Doctor Who with the original cast members) was once again available. I don't remember quite how right he was, as I forget how much time transpired between BF starting up and the BBC Books DW range shutting down. Miles was also a very divisive figure even when the books were being published; he wanted to push DW to new extremes now that it was unfettered by the constraints of TV, but often at the expense of what he considered to be the more childish aspects of the original show. Think Karen Traviss, but instead of feuding with another writer over Mandalorians vs. Jedi, he was feuding with every other writer in the range.

Probably the best example was when he decried the remit for a new companion as being like a character from the then-current TV series "This Life" because he absolutely hated that show (which I agree with). On the other hand, he wrote a two-part novel which ended with the Third Doctor being killed off while the Eighth Doctor still lived somehow, which veers on "doing something edgy for its own sake" in my view. Miles could be a bit up his own backside at times to be sure, but he disliked NuWho from the outset and very much disliked Steven Moffat in particular, so he's okay in my book :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Miles owns. He wasn't wrong about BF spelling doom for the novels, as sales plummeted during rhe Gary Russel BF era (though he did work for BF on several occasions). He's a fractious dude with mental health issues, but his writing is tight and interesting, and is probably still one of the most influential writers from that period, and he got on with a subset of writers within the range -- many ideas from the RTD and Moffat eras came from him originally. (Moffat's acknowledged the influence, I believe, while RTD has not -- but Miles was the actual guy behind the Time War).

I don't think Miles is edgy so much as a scab picker; a lot of his writing was an attempt to critique qnd address the racial / colonial aspects of Doctor Who. YMMV on how successful he was, but he and many of the writers who've worked with him have, unarguably, made the most sustained attempt to critique Who's entanglement in Whiteness. (Ironically, he hated both the PoC companions he wrote for, citing Roz as a fascist -- not wrong -- and Anji as a Tory -- ditto -- and so did his best to avoid them).

But yeah, a lot of the work written by him and inspired by his stuff was an attempt to grapple with cultural hegemony by durectly targeting Doctor Who continuity, on the logic that the series was inherently compromised thanks to the environment in which it was created (again, not wrong). In that sense, he's similar to Alan Moore, in that he had an anarchist's interests in addressing the formal conventions of the series he was so fascinated with, with an aim to reconstruct texts rather than just deconstruct then. For instance, a lot of his works imply that the Timelords adherence to continuity and the unchanging skein of history ("the web of time") is actually just propaganda. It's a way of cementing their colonisation of the universe, and all their bluster about protecting the universe from collapse is total bullshit destined to maintain their powerbase. It's Manifest Destiny on a universal scale.

Killing the Third Doctor in What Happened on Dust wasn't, IMO, edge for the sake of edge, but an attempt to talk about continuity, narrative, shared worlds, and the way societies create and disrupt history, etc. It was meant to spawn a bunch of really cool things -- a fourth Doctor adaptation of Planet of The Spiders based on Planet of the Apes (literally, "Beneath The Planet Of The Spiders").

He was also visionary, in his own way. This Town Will Never Let Us Go is all about how depressing algorithm generated storytelling is, snd his fear that Hollywood was going to become obsessed with fracnhises and remakes, and it came out in 2003.

Cool guy. A difficult person -- beyond also being a "difficult" person -- and a very angry writer, but also a strong leftist with a belief in challenging the system and standing up for what he believed it.

I will definitely agree with that, I didn't necessarily agree with his approach to DW but I will give him credit for trying to push for something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Edward Mass posted:

This isn’t Doctor Whose Line Is It Anyway, it’s a scripted show.

Narsham posted:

And now, it’s the whole team with the end of show Whodown.

Christ, don't give RTD any more ideas, the one episode he did based off of contemporary UK gameshows was bad enough :argh: