Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Emerson Cod posted:

Okay, so I know that what I post sounds crazy but so do most conspiracies until they're uncovered. Look, I just published a nearly 400 page book, https://books2read.com/u/bOnqoE and pretty much all of it is based solely on testimony from what you would consider the real world.

I understand that I can't fly the TARDIS into your living room to prove to you who I am, but the encryption in the Biblical Code is airtight and anything you might have questions about I can answer. Those words should not be encoded in the Bible of all places unless they were actually put there by people who intended for them to be uncovered. And if you think that it's just a fantasy about a show, my name is listed in one of those coded grids right alongside the words America and New York, which is where this me is from.

You're not The Doctor, and the dangerous thing about the sort of patterns you're looking for is that they are very susceptible to confirmation bias. You look for words and phrases that support you, so you're more likely to find them. If you picked any other target, Star Wars, Star Trek, Shakespeare, The Simpson's , Twilight, literally anything, with enough targeted digging you could likely find references to them as well.

Others have said seek help, and I'll repeat that, but in the likely event you're not going to yet I do encourage you to see if you can find any of those references to things that you know to not be real, and assess your other findings accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pastamania posted:

12 had a very clear emotional arc throughout his series about him mellowing over time. Him going from 'Am I a good man?' to his 'Kindness is always right' speech at the end was a fantastic journey, but it did mean you basically got a season of him at the start being very explicitly written as Malcolm Tucker. And if the Doctor being this fun handsome space man making Wibbly Wobbly jokes in a fez is what you enjoy out of Who, that first season was really not written for you at all.

I get why people bounce off 12, even if I think divorced from the rest of the show his years were the strongest the show has ever been both in terms of writing and performance.

Going back to 12-chat, I think that while it ultimately didn't work the way they intended, it was a great way of exploring regeneration.

In his internal monologues and way he saw himself, it seems to me that 12 didn't really feel like he was acting any differently to 11. He was still operating with the same logic, he still had the same motivations and things he cared about. However his physical form had just been ripped into pieces and put back together, and the thoughts that would have instinctively caused him to behave one way before now resulted in different mannerisms and presentation.

It's not enough to want to be a good person, it requires constant work, always looking at how you are actually impacting people around you and adjusting your behaviour accordingly, recognizing that no-one else has access to your internal monologues and you can come across as a complete rear end in a top hat even if you don't intend to.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Payndz posted:

I visited the place where that was filmed (Texas Hollywood, in Almeria, Spain) in 2016, and wondered why there was one building that looked very much out of place. It wasn't until much later that I made the connection. So they went to all the time and expense and trouble of travelling to Spain to shoot an episode that was forgotten five minutes after it aired.

It also showed how infrequently westerns are shot in Almeria now, since four years later it still wasn't worth their while to strip the steampunk stuff from the standing set.

It was a cool idea at the time to treat that season as like a collection of short movies. There were some amazing trailers and posters, and was amazing for Who to feel like it had such high production values.

Also I love that 60th trailer. Feels like it's fallen straight out of the 2009 year of specials.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SiKboy posted:

I'm willing to give it a chance, but I still agree with what I said when Tennant was first rumored to return with RTD; Bringing back Tennant (and Donna) smacks to me of creative bankruptcy. We'll see if he has anything interesting to say with it, I could easily be wrong, but I'm not sitting here going "Yay, Ten and Donna are back! Its 2006 again, everything is great and my back doesnt hurt anymore!", I'm sitting here thinking "So, no new ideas then Rusty? Just pushing these two back out on stage to mumble through the greatest hits for a nostalgia pop?".

We all know the real reason. Regardless of what some may think of them, the Capaldi and Whittaker years lost a lot of the momentum the show had, and they want to try and pull as many of them back to give Who another chance.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

God Day Of The Doctor was good.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I just went down a big rabbit hole of wondering if ancient Venus had ever appeared in Doctor Who, and was a little surprised by how little it's been used as a location, with just occasional references in the TV show and some Big Finish and other written material doing stories.

Wonder if there's a reason they've never done it in the show. Romping around the ancient jungles of Venus sounds like good fun.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tennant is only four years younger that Hartnell was at the start.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

The Dalek Eternal! :stare:

Also, I appreciate the plan was to have different arms/attachments come out of the panel on the back of them (which is why they’re covered in grooves to slide them around) and that never ever gets used either.

My theory is that someone actually pulled Moffat to the side and pointed out that having the Daleks be represented as a rainbow line up could result in the wrong types picking it up as symbolism.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Boxturret posted:

Honestly some of the effects shots in Red Dwarf are pretty impressive.

Red Dwarf benefited from many years of experience at the BBC in their visual effects unit, and given the fact that many of the same people worked on the effects, Red Dwarf is probably the best reference of what a 90s Doctor Who run with a decent budget might have looked like.

Well that and the Big Ben crash sequence from Aliens Of London. As The_Doctor mentions Mike Tucker was heavily involved. First working for a few of the last year's of Who's original run then doing Red Dwarf, then returning for Doctor Who when RTD brought it back.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

There’s literally no reason the Masters have to appear in order.

Case in point, Missy's last episode!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

How the angels were later depicted doesn't really fit with their first appearance, which is weird since Mofat invented them.

The lonely assassins, they used to be called. No one quite knows where they came from, but they’re as old as the universe, or very nearly, and they have survived this long because they have the most perfect defence system ever evolved. They are quantum-locked. They don’t exist when they’re being observed. The moment they are seen by any other living creature, they freeze into rock. No choice. It’s a fact of their biology. In the sight of any living thing, they literally turn to stone. And you can’t kill a stone. Of course, a stone can’t kill you either. But then you turn your head away, then you blink, and oh yes it can… That’s why they cover their eyes. They’re not weeping. They can’t risk looking at each other. Their greatest asset is their greatest curse. They can never be seen. The loneliest creatures in the universe.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Happy 6 year anniversary to Thirteen

Feels like we hardly knew ye

31 episodes total since Christmas 2017.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Ncutiiiiii!

Also lol Avengers UNIT Tower.

I like to imagine this is them stealing back from the heli carrier thing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

Rewatching this, and during my rewatch of the revival, I'm not sure if I'm more excited for Ncuti as the Doctor or the return of Murray Gold

Speaking of, they've just released the new theme:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1712528794630717704?t=MgBi6HtdV9c1FtR61E1iXg&s=19

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It's not as strong as 11's (and honestly no Doctor will probably ever get as good of piece as their theme as "I Am the Doctor"), but I didn't hate it. I could feel how it was structured to match on screen action, at least. The opening is the weakest part, though, which definitely doesn't help.

This. I Am The Doctor is a really high bar and this doesn't reach it, but it's bloody fun, could imagine some RTD style over the top action happening while it was playing and in the episode reckon it will be awesome.

Was at an event on the weekend that had orchestral bands playing through the day, and as we walked into the gardens they were playing I Am The Doctor. loving slapped.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Right, but all of the outfit variations start happening in series 7, right? Series 5 and 6 are like 400 years of his life and he wears that one outfit for virtually all of that time? Bull poo poo i tell you

I treat the costumes as a bit of character insight. The Doctor often sticks with a single outfit or variation on it for a long time because it helps anchor them in their current identity.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Tennant specials are making me imagine how things might have gone in an alternate universe where the 90s tv movie got Tom Baker back for a short run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Small Strange Bird posted:

It's mindblowing how it went from the hottest thing on television to a nonsensical self-congratulatory mess in such a small number of episodes, even if they were spread over far too many years. But hey, Moffat.

At least he speed ran the process with the Dracula series