Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Charliegrs posted:

I'm not talking about Mikey Day he's not new. I'm talking about the new guy

My bad, I saw the other reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

blackstar performing was obviously a chappelle demand

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

i say swears online posted:

blackstar performing was obviously a chappelle demand

That's pretty obvious considering SNL only plays whatever garbage music group is hot at the moment instead of established groups that have been around for a while. Like there's no way SNL would have had A Tribe Called Quest on unless Chappelle demanded it the last time he was on. That's part of the reason why I like when Chappelle is hosting because I know he will make sure a good musical act plays.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ten-to-one was loving fantastic, kornacki killed

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

That's pretty obvious considering SNL only plays whatever garbage music group is hot at the moment instead of established groups that have been around for a while. Like there's no way SNL would have had A Tribe Called Quest on unless Chappelle demanded it the last time he was on. That's part of the reason why I like when Chappelle is hosting because I know he will make sure a good musical act plays.

they haven't been good since before kanye's first album

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Molly really channeled Farley there for a second

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip goodnights?

edit oh they squeezed it in

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ten-to-one was loving fantastic, kornacki killed

I dunno, I feel like more could've been done with the concept? The whole thing felt weirdly rushed, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

they haven't been good since before kanye's first album

And yet they’ll still be a top 5 booking for any season over the last decade.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

I dunno, I feel like more could've been done with the concept? The whole thing felt weirdly rushed, too.

that's every destroy sketch, i really liked the frantic building. reminds me of the always sunny crew talking themselves into madness

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
drat Madlib on SNL that's awesome

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ah, a classic Vintage SNL, from way back in 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

Foo Fighters

Not a slam on are brave boys Fighting Foo, but I highly doubt Dave had anything to do with that booking.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK, finally found :files: so I'm giving this a watch.

This monologue had better be going somewhere because so far it's 100% deflection of Dave's own lovely behaviour onto a very easy target, and he's kind of getting antisemitic himself. OK now he's onto Herschel Walker and the "observably stupid" line did make me laugh. Oh no now he's back on "it's making it difficult to say things," this is really embarrassing.

Back to the monologue after a sketch? What's going on here, have they done this before?

Return of the Playa Haters is something I can get behind, though. Oh I see this is Dave's obligatory 'use old characters to eat up some time' bit. At least the jokes were funny.

Weekend Update was pretty good.

Mikey filling in for Dave in Black Heaven is a funny concept but kind of phoned-in and awkward (beyond the intentional awkwardness).

Dave's little tribute to Takeoff was nice before the closing credits.

Overall I'm surprised, maybe even a little impressed, that the only poop-touching he did was in the monologue. It was self-serving as gently caress, but maybe he is legitimately trying to get away from the controversy - at least he wasn't doubling down again. I'm not saying he's on the way to forvigeness, and this is probably an ignorant question either way but what would it take? Interestingly I sort of asked the same question in the EDM Thread in NML about an artist who is also facing consequences for their poo poo behaviour; what would it take for someone in that position to redeem themselves in the eyes of people they hurt? I don't think sexpest behaviour is something you come back from, but I'm sure there have been public figures who successfully walked back some vile words.

On the other hand, he could just be ignoring it completely.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 14, 2022

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Potato hole was a fantastic sketch

https://youtu.be/sUTF-cbiPYI

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was chloe's frown at the reveal that got me

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 14, 2022

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Apart from the mega monologue, this have to be the fewest sketch lines a host ever had to deliver. Or was Marlee Matlin ever on?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Sarah would've been great as host of a pee wees playhouse like children's television show.

She's the perfect level of bizarre and loved her on weekend update, but the rest of the show felt like a dud.

Has there been any "recurring characters" in recent SNL or is it just "Game Show Skit with Mikey Day or Kenan"

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Sarah would've been great as host of a pee wees playhouse like children's television show.

She's the perfect level of bizarre and loved her on weekend update, but the rest of the show felt like a dud.

Has there been any "recurring characters" in recent SNL or is it just "Game Show Skit with Mikey Day or Kenan"

David S Pumpkins has been a recurring character for a few years now and it's the goddamn worst thing SNL has ever done

pwn
May 27, 2004

DSP has been done twice, in 2016 and 2022

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
lest ye forget

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

DSP has been done twice, in 2016 and 2022

three if you count his rapper alter ego, David S. Pimpkins

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
dang I already forgot

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah I hadn't forgotten the animated special but I completely forgot about the Pimpkins cameo

2.5 times since 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mister Speaker posted:

This monologue had better be going somewhere because so far it's 100% deflection of Dave's own lovely behaviour onto a very easy target, and he's kind of getting antisemitic himself. OK now he's onto Herschel Walker and the "observably stupid" line did make me laugh. Oh no now he's back on "it's making it difficult to say things," this is really embarrassing.

Punching down has pretty much always been the core of Chapelle's comedy. Kanye stumbled and having a bad week/s, easy target.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I thought it was a funny monologue.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Charliegrs posted:

Lol this is always thinly veiled code for "I don't like the particular type of political comedy they are doing!"

Finally got around to finishing the episode, but what does this statement mean? SNL has exactly one type of political comedy and it exclusively appeals to Upper East Side Libs.

These jokes are for the kind of people who applaud Lockheed Martin for saving the earth after the company puts out a press release saying that the next generation of fighter jets will be 0.03% more fuel efficient.

General Dog posted:

I thought it was a funny monologue.

Yeah, it was. I thought the episode was pretty funny overall. It does put Chappelle into pretty start relief, however, because just replace his opening statement with "people who are transgendered" instead of "the Jewish community" and see how easy it is to ~buy yourself some time~ and then realize that he didn't ever care to do or address that.

The monologue, while well done and very funny, made me think that the biggest difference between Chappelle and Kanye right now is that Chappelle chose to attack a community that doesn't have the power to fight back against him and never had to apologize or face any consequences.

Like, at any point in the last two years he could have said "I denouce bigotry in all of its forms and I stand with my friends in the transgender community."

He just didn't.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

snl? you bgest belive the show is bad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No drunkposting

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

But if I don't drink the show isn't funny

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
can somebody here give me a rundown on "please don't destroy" are they like a ucb comedy troupe or just one of those "we're the funny guys from the internet" who hang out or is this the new lonely island, because i am very confused by their presence.

because it just reads like really bad improv comedy, like the kind of thing where they got the suggestion, recorded the improv skit, then recreated the skit again, but this time with a celebrity cameo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

can somebody here give me a rundown on "please don't destroy" are they like a ucb comedy troupe or just one of those "we're the funny guys from the internet" who hang out or is this the new lonely island, because i am very confused by their presence.

because it just reads like really bad improv comedy, like the kind of thing where they got the suggestion, recorded the improv skit, then recreated the skit again, but this time with a celebrity cameo.

Two of them are sons of veteran SNL crew.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

huh I checked out one of their sketches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIYLlFzcS3E

its....almost funny....like 2/5 jokes landed.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Finally got around to finishing the episode, but what does this statement mean? SNL has exactly one type of political comedy and it exclusively appeals to Upper East Side Libs.

lol get hosed, SNL has literally mocked both sides of the aisle, depending on who is in power, since carlin opened the show in 1975.

this tired rear end complaint is especially stupid in an age where you can watch 48 seasons of this on streaming instead of relying on "feelings"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

lol get hosed, SNL has literally mocked both sides of the aisle, depending on who is in power, since carlin opened the show in 1975.

this tired rear end complaint is especially stupid in an age where you can watch 48 seasons of this on streaming instead of relying on "feelings"

so can you see jersey or brooklyn from your window

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zer0spunk posted:

:lol: at reaching back 50 years to find variation...SNL's political comedy has been locked in amber since the late 90s
:thunk:

show me on the doll where bernie hurt you your donors

pwn
May 27, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

I don't know for sure but I took "Upper East Side libs" to be a Manhattan Liberal slam. In other words, an attack from the left. In other words, loving shitlibs (or succdems if you're in polite company)

This is the same show that finally mentioned Occupy protests one time, after three weeks, as a throwaway line in the framing device of a local news sketch.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

show me on the doll where bernie hurt you your donors

This otoh i have no idea how to parse :shrug:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ah here it is, 4:19, the crazy leftist SNL's one mention of the nationwide protests that were being blacked out by mainstream media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1U_ZTBpqQ0

I was wrong about the three weeks thing. It was nearly two months after the protests began and over a month since that year's SNL season began.

SNL is a show comprised of many people who have varying views and while there are certainly ardent leftists in the writers room and probably cast, what makes it to air tends to be of the Manhattan Liberal type—yas kween, we want diversified staff on the board of the bank types, socially left but don't even think about loving with capital. Jost (head writer) is a brilliant example of this, remember him tut-tutting those uppity unwashed hordes of New Yorkers who showed such ingratitude for daddy Bezos when Amazon was gonna open their HQ2 there? Because I do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CWfpMkYFlo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pwn posted:

I don't know for sure but I took "Upper East Side libs" to be a Manhattan Liberal slam. In other words, an attack from the left. In other words, loving shitlibs (or succdems if you're in polite company)

This is the same show that finally mentioned Occupy protests one time, after three weeks, as a throwaway line in the framing device of a local news sketch.

This. Plus, I feel like all anyone has to do to make this point is to just post that Hillary Hallelujah cold open. But I won't actually do that, because I don't want to go look it up, or inflict it on anyone here. But you all know it's out there.

SNL was super destroyed that Hillary lost, in a way they wouldn't have been if Trump or Bernie (in the general) had lost that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Yeah there's no hidden level they're not even improv class/Harvard guys just straight up sons of comedy people.