Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

in case you people thought I made good choices:

That was Saturday before stopping for the day.

That was Sunday before midnight.

:toot: #18 in the books for me.

I got hit with an idea that's been zero drafting since the 6th and it took over my brain, a psychological horror/legal issues story. It's been the bulk of this month's work.

And now to keep writing for the rest of the month. I'm currently just above 59K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Nethilia posted:

in case you people thought I made good choices:

That was Saturday before stopping for the day.

That was Sunday before midnight.

:toot: #18 in the books for me.

I got hit with an idea that's been zero drafting since the 6th and it took over my brain, a psychological horror/legal issues story. It's been the bulk of this month's work.

And now to keep writing for the rest of the month. I'm currently just above 59K.

That's a wonderful snipe! Congratulations!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Admiralty Flag posted:

I hit 25,609 words and am putting it aside for the day.

It's going to be a pain when November is over and I still have 70K words to go on the novel.

I'm feeling this. Maybe 30k words are backstory and world building, and I have 8k at best for an actual story so far.

I'm keeping track with the NaNoWriMo site and I like that if you check the stats tab it shows how many words you need to type to meet the deadline. If you write a lot at first it gets way below the 1,667 words a day, let alone even less than 1k words/day depending on how many you crush out and it's kind of nice only having half a page to write at a minimum instead of the usual 4 or so. I can be much more conscientious about what I write rather than feeling like I have to hit a word count and need to vomit out words.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
According to the website my par is somewhere in the 1300s right now. I'm still forcing myself to hit 1667 every day because I feel like if slip even once, the whole thing will collapse and it's only another couple hundred anyway. :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah, I want all the badges! If I let up then I will just stop and die.

But I got 2.1k today, so that's cool!

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

This might be the worst thing I have ever written and there are 50000 words of it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, there's few things that feel better than going, "Y'know what, I'll just stay up until midnight to get a little head start, maybe get 400-500 words down so I have a solid jumping off point for tomorrow." and an hour later, you've got 2000 words down. :toot:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

E Depois do Adeus posted:

This might be the worst thing I have ever written and there are 50000 words of it.

I sold 50,000 copies of a rough draft I said the exact same thing about.

you got this.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

I sold 50,000 copies of a rough draft I said the exact same thing about.

you got this.

Thank you for your encouraging words, but a solid 10% of this consists of detailed descriptions of oral sex, so unless there's an untapped market for an instruction manual on that front, I'm less than optimistic.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I mean...

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Thank you for your encouraging words, but a solid 10% of this consists of detailed descriptions of oral sex, so unless there's an untapped market for an instruction manual on that front, I'm less than optimistic.

romance of varying heat levels is by far the most popular fiction genre, keep going and it'll work out.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Still on track for all badges, but my god some of it is rough. Also I'm 40k words in, and Dragon hasn't turned up yet. Maybe he doesn't wanna be in this book...

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Is it bad that I forgot that there was an official webpage? Didn't register for those sweet sweet badges.

But I did pass the 40k word count this morning!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I hit 40k a few days ago but now that I'm writing the story my writing is starting to lag. Still getting my characters to meet up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

:toot:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is scrivener not on sale this month? I was waiting for it

Found BLACKFRIDAY2022

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 27, 2022

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Completed at 50.027 words with 1 day to spare :toot:

Was in trouble about a week ago, where a nasty ear infection put a hamper on my output - it's not fun to write when it feels like someone is poking at your ear canal with a knife! But I had built up a buffer on some of the earlier days, so it all worked out in the end, and the ear infection thankfully went away fairly quickly, too. Now I just need to finish the final 100k words of this draft...

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I am up to 45420 words after tonight's session. It was a tough night in the word mines. The end is close now though. So close...

Assuming I don't die suddenly or something like that, it will be consecutive NaNoWriMo #6. All of my work for all six has been on the same novel, which has started to get pretty long.

I think 2023 might be the year I finally finish the drat thing. Big hopes and dreams.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I hit 50k yesterday, just need 55k for the writathon now!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Chromatics posted:

Is scrivener not on sale this month? I was waiting for it

Found BLACKFRIDAY2022

I have a 50% off code from the nano winner's stuff, if you want it. I dunno if they're unique.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

50,000 oh yeaaaaahh!!

And the novel isn't close to done yet:suicide:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

50,449 words. Now maybe I can devote my full attention to book 1 and get it out by Christmas.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

I have a 50% off code from the nano winner's stuff, if you want it. I dunno if they're unique.

Thanks, I wound up finding a black friday code for 25% a few hours before it ended so grabbed that

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
50,047 words. Hooray, I succeeded in my first NaNo.
Of course, I was only using it a goad to keep me writing on this book. I estimate there's another 30k at least to wrap it up satisfactorily.
Still, I'm happy with my effort and honestly this is the most fun I've had doing creative things in years.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

It is done. I've escaped the word mines! That makes Consecutive NaNoWriMo #6.

*And* I managed to continue my tradition of finishing on the 29th and not the 30th alive despite the fact that I was quite a bit underwater this morning.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Met the goal, but still have a great deal of story left. Still, pretty happy with what I've done, and I'm trying to keep up writing as a daily habit for December and beyond. You can definitely see how inconsistent I got as the month went on though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Never wrote more than I did on the first day (3765), came close on the last day (3375). I also never wrote less than 1,667 words in a day and I'm personally very proud of that. Holding myself very hard to that goal (and going over it almost every day) is what let me finish a week early, for sure.

Guess the days I did the ol' "write at exactly midnight to get a head start on that day's word count" trick. :v:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I think it is now December everywhere in the world, so congratulations to everyone who made it! It's a huge achievement!

I'm very happy with what I wrote this year--I think it's going to be pretty good after an edit pass. Whether you wrote 50,000 words or not, I hope you all feel good about what you've written!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This was an incredibly rewarding experience for me. I thought I had lost the spark to just be able to sit down and write for myself because so many times over the last few years I tried and just couldn't get anything to come out. But this time I put a ton of time and effort into my outline and when the 1st rolled around I was honestly stunned by how easily the words came. It honestly felt like I was falling in love with writing all over again. I'm really excited for what the future holds now.

Congrats to everybody else who participated, however many words you wrote. :toot:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

I am a master of time management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

McTimmy posted:

I am a master of time management.

This is very impressive, congratulations! And I thought my 8500 on the final day a few years back was tough. How much coffee did this require?

Also, it's incredible how the moment I hit the word goal all motivation to complete the plot disappeared. My novel needs a complete rewrite so it was really hard to see the first draft to completion. Are people here planning on publishing?