Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm writing the third book in a fantasy series when I can, in between incorporating feedback on the first book from my alpha readers. Targeting 120K in length, but instead of a novel it'll be six novelettes featuring the characters from the first two books. Probably won't get through all of the first draft in November but will get through at least 50K of it.

If I had thought about it, I would have arranged for inspiration for the first book to strike from the sky a month earlier so I could have the month free to write instead of working with alpha feedback.

edit: link to my profile (it's a pen name)
https://nanowrimo.org/participants/del-sefton

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thanks to NaNoWriMo, I got to google "What do brains taste like?"

(Not writing Hannibal Lecter/Jeffrey Dahmer slashfic, but rather some scenes where my protagonist and his friends help a group of villagers kill a rampaging bear, and as part of the victory celebration they get to partake of the grey matter of the beast.)

7636 words so far! I'm targeting 2500 words per chapter for my 6-in-1 novelette project, so one chapter a day will keep me ahead of schedule and still leave me some time to work through line edits on my first novel. I do have the dual advantage of being fast as hell when I write from an outline as well as having a pretty detailed outline prepared.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hit 25,609 words and am putting it aside for the day.

It's going to be a pain when November is over and I still have 70K words to go on the novel.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MJeff posted:

Yeah uh this is my first real swing at a novel, is it normal to be like 25k words in and still be really early in your story?
What genre are you writing in? E.g., fantasy novels tend to be longer than romance novels.

You could Google word counts by genre but the most important thing to ask yourself is, "Do those words serve my story?" If you're including lots of extra worldbuilding, unnecessary exposition, etc., then I would think about that as you continue writing. But for now, regardless of the answer, don't take anything you've written out, even if you know you'll slash it later. Worry about editing after you're done writing.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

50,449 words. Now maybe I can devote my full attention to book 1 and get it out by Christmas.