Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
After totally half-assing and badly failing a couple NaNo attempts in my teen years, I'm making my first really serious try with, like, an outline and stuff, and it's going pretty well so far. At 9113 words and I think my outline is strong enough to get me well to 50,000 before the month is out. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So, for anybody who mainly writes using word sprints, what time increment are you finding the most success with? I've found that as long as I know what I'm writing, 20 minutes is really good and I think I like it way more than 15. I'm getting 700-800 words very consistently.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

chainchompz posted:

Not bragging: I've got about 25k words typed up as of today which is half the typical NaNoWriMo goal, but all of it was backstory and world building. I'm actually a little stumped as to what characters to pick and use to actually write a compelling story with it.

This is kind of simplistic, but my first question would be which one do you personally have the most fun writing?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah uh this is my first real swing at a novel, is it normal to be like 25k words in and still be really early in your story?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
According to the website my par is somewhere in the 1300s right now. I'm still forcing myself to hit 1667 every day because I feel like if slip even once, the whole thing will collapse and it's only another couple hundred anyway. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, there's few things that feel better than going, "Y'know what, I'll just stay up until midnight to get a little head start, maybe get 400-500 words down so I have a solid jumping off point for tomorrow." and an hour later, you've got 2000 words down. :toot:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

:toot:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Never wrote more than I did on the first day (3765), came close on the last day (3375). I also never wrote less than 1,667 words in a day and I'm personally very proud of that. Holding myself very hard to that goal (and going over it almost every day) is what let me finish a week early, for sure.

Guess the days I did the ol' "write at exactly midnight to get a head start on that day's word count" trick. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This was an incredibly rewarding experience for me. I thought I had lost the spark to just be able to sit down and write for myself because so many times over the last few years I tried and just couldn't get anything to come out. But this time I put a ton of time and effort into my outline and when the 1st rolled around I was honestly stunned by how easily the words came. It honestly felt like I was falling in love with writing all over again. I'm really excited for what the future holds now.

Congrats to everybody else who participated, however many words you wrote. :toot: