Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
No Nanowrimo thread in 2022? Have goons lost their valour? Never!

What is Nanowrimo?

Nanowrimo is an annual event where people around the world sign up to struggle painfully for their own vanity write 50,000 words for a creative project of their choice in the month of November.

What kind of lunatic would do this?

Writing 50,000 words in a month is very tough, but it’s a great way to get motivated to sit down and write something. Some people start a completely new project and try to finish it during the month, others use it as a way to work on neglected writing projects. There are no rules, as long as you get your 50,000 words done!

Nanowrimo community

https://nanowrimo.org/

There’s a dedicated Nanowrimo website where you can sign up your Nanowrimo project and track your progress during the month. You can also add other people as Nanowrimo buddies so you can spy on them to see how well they’re keeping up. I would encourage anyone who’s doing Nanowrimo this year to link their profile in the thread so people can add you as a Nanowrimo buddy! Here’s the link to my profile:

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/enchanted-hat

This year, I'm writing the third book in an ongoing fantasy/sci-fi series that I started in an earlier Nanowrimo. What are you guys writing this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

All right, here we go! Good luck, everyone!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I'm keeping just barely over the target word count. Pretty pleased with what I've written so far, but man, I should really have more of a buffer. Hope everyone is doing well!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

chainchompz posted:

Not bragging: I've got about 25k words typed up as of today which is half the typical NaNoWriMo goal, but all of it was backstory and world building. I'm actually a little stumped as to what characters to pick and use to actually write a compelling story with it.

Lay 'em on us! What have you got?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

That sounds fun! My Nano story last year was also about a polar expedition, and it was a lot of fun to write.

I would personally want to keep the story focused on one main plot. Maybe have the mercs join a rival expedition for the meteorite? Easy conflict! And then you can drag whatever other characters you want into the rival expedition.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Nethilia posted:

in case you people thought I made good choices:

That was Saturday before stopping for the day.

That was Sunday before midnight.

:toot: #18 in the books for me.

I got hit with an idea that's been zero drafting since the 6th and it took over my brain, a psychological horror/legal issues story. It's been the bulk of this month's work.

And now to keep writing for the rest of the month. I'm currently just above 59K.

That's a wonderful snipe! Congratulations!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

50,000 oh yeaaaaahh!!

And the novel isn't close to done yet:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I think it is now December everywhere in the world, so congratulations to everyone who made it! It's a huge achievement!

I'm very happy with what I wrote this year--I think it's going to be pretty good after an edit pass. Whether you wrote 50,000 words or not, I hope you all feel good about what you've written!