Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I'm doing a NaNoWriMo this year after taking breaks from it for the past few years. I suppose it's "cheating" that right now I'm just describing the map of the world, next I'll write about the nobles and notables of the realm, and then I'll do a brief history. All before I actually start writing from a main character's perspective. ...But those 50k words got to be crapped out of somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Not bragging: I've got about 25k words typed up as of today which is half the typical NaNoWriMo goal, but all of it was backstory and world building. I'm actually a little stumped as to what characters to pick and use to actually write a compelling story with it.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
So my project is basically a d&d campaign that never was. Without going too much into details- within the past fifty years a number of bad things happened: a horrific plague; major wars between five of eight factions that led to three joining up to gang up on the strongest one; internal power struggles in one that sent nobles fleeing their homelands; and a meteor seen by all of the world powers hit the frozen far north. The kingdoms are licking their wounds and have a truce for now and all are trying to rebuild and recover from all the awful things that happened.

The main stories I had in mind are:
* An effort to recover the meteorite for one of the kingdoms requires an expedition of many expendables but also a few important figures to keep tabs on the operation. The meteorite may or may not be magical or some other Mcguffin. Haven't decided yet.

* Due to nearly being wiped out, a few brothers and sons of a noble house fled and went their separate ways. One lost his hand but is still a skilled swordsman and has gone to be a mercenary. The other, to the capitol in an effort to find a wife to bring back despite his loss in status.
I can't decide if I want the merc's story to link up into the expedition to the North, and what exactly will happen to the one in the capitol or if somehow I drag both into the expedition.

I had ideas for characters in other parts of the world but I feel like despite all the world building like describing the world map as a cartographer and travel writer then writing a who's who as a suck-up scholar and record keeper of an imperial university- I may want to focus on just one part of the world for now so my scope doesn't launch into the stratosphere. If I really go ham on this I'll maybe later write the stories that contain characters from those other kingdoms. At the very least I have a solid foundation for the world and setting at this point.

Also as far as writing in short bursts goes I kind of just put music on and drink tea or sip a single shot of whiskey depending on time of day and let the ideas fall out. I write an outline of what I overall want to happen in steps, and then I jump around between what part is more interesting to write about as I go and actually spent a day just making edits to make sure that it all tracks for continuity. I haven't tried writing in sprints yet.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Yeah that's what I've landed on as well- best to keep focused on one area rather than create too many spinning plates to keep track of. Maybe later.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Admiralty Flag posted:

I hit 25,609 words and am putting it aside for the day.

It's going to be a pain when November is over and I still have 70K words to go on the novel.

I'm feeling this. Maybe 30k words are backstory and world building, and I have 8k at best for an actual story so far.

I'm keeping track with the NaNoWriMo site and I like that if you check the stats tab it shows how many words you need to type to meet the deadline. If you write a lot at first it gets way below the 1,667 words a day, let alone even less than 1k words/day depending on how many you crush out and it's kind of nice only having half a page to write at a minimum instead of the usual 4 or so. I can be much more conscientious about what I write rather than feeling like I have to hit a word count and need to vomit out words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I hit 40k a few days ago but now that I'm writing the story my writing is starting to lag. Still getting my characters to meet up.