Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Everyone excited to watch awful people getting jiggy with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipXxZxddOlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The first episode was great, very excited to see how terrible everyone is over the season. Armand was great so it'll be hard to top him but I'll give Victoria some time although "she's a fast slut" was a great line.

I think I still like the season one theme better but the painting definitely goes hard.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I already hate most of these people although Plaza is in front atm.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tagichatn posted:

The first episode was great, very excited to see how terrible everyone is over the season. Armand was great so it'll be hard to top him but I'll give Victoria some time although "she's a fast slut" was a great line.

I think I still like the season one theme better but the painting definitely goes hard.

I’m very glad they kept the main theme from the first and interlaced some of it with the new one, it’s so good.

I enjoyed the first episode, lots of room to grow into these awful people.
And yeah. There’s no replacing Armand, what a wonderful character.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This season is just too funny -- the horror sting when Jennifer Coolidge is looking over at her assistant in the restaurant, my god.

Owling Howl posted:

I already hate most of these people although Plaza is in front atm.

Oh man, I found her the most likable of the cast so far. Around that much luxury my hackles would immediately go up, plus Cameron (Theo James' character) is a huge piece of work -- and that's before you get to whatever's going on between him and her husband.

Valentina kinda owns too.

I've already got this vibe that this season's doing a lot with the "shrew" archetype, and asking questions about female anger.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Theo James and his wife are absolutely trying to do a swinger thing with Aubrey Plaza and her husband, right?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh man, I found her the most likable of the cast so far.

:same: I immediately started seeing red when they were trying to pressure her to drink. "I want to get some food in my stomach first" is 100% valid. :colbert:

Poopbutt posted:

Also, anyone else get a swingers vibe from the happy couple? Or is that just my mind being poisoned by all the sexual imagery in the intro?

Ha, only a minute apart!

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
I came into this season totally blind, so when the opening theme started I was somewhat disappointed as it seemed very tame and I was worried that perhaps de Veers had not come back to do the soundtrack. Luckily that soon passed as it quickly began to build up to something more his style. Though I did notice the soundtrack seems more subdued than the first season, but I’m hoping just like the intro it will escalate into madness as the season goes along.

The first season was about wealth, privilege and the power imbalances and exploitation that naturally come with it. So far it seems like this season will be much more about the power dynamics involved in sex, which should be interesting.

Also, anyone else get a swingers vibe from the happy couple? Or is that just my mind being poisoned by all the sexual imagery in the intro?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My read on it is that I'm pretty sure Will Sharpe's character (Ethan) has an unrequited thing for Theo James' character (Cameron).

I also suspect that Plaza's wrong about the couple trying to manipulate Ethan for money; my guess is that they're trying to head off some sort of upcoming lawsuit against Cameron or his company. Which he's almost certainly guilty of if the swimming trunks scene is anything to go by.

But this is all just random speculation based on the first episode.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Ready for this season. I binged the last season and also gave it a rewatch.

Really curious what Sicilian dad is all about to get his ex-wife? so worked up.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

cheese eats mouse posted:

Really curious what Sicilian dad is all about to get his ex-wife? so worked up.

Yeah, it's absolutely significant. Someone mentioned there should have been ten people getting off the boat but there were only nine, so we kinda assume The Wife was supposed to be there.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh man, I found her the most likable of the cast so far. Around that much luxury my hackles would immediately go up, plus Cameron (Theo James' character) is a huge piece of work -- and that's before you get to whatever's going on between him and her husband.

Read After Burning posted:

:same: I immediately started seeing red when they were trying to pressure her to drink. "I want to get some food in my stomach first" is 100% valid. :colbert:

she shouldn't have been pressured to drink the wine, but she seemed to me like an insufferable, miserable news-addicted lib who doesn't know (or has forgotten) how to have fun and judges everyone around her/has no chill while also being on a super expensive vacation in a super expensive (looking) bathing suit. and then there was also that dinner scene deciding what her and her husband were gonna have for dinner without letting him have a choice, which seems indicative of larger issues with their relationship and how she treats him.

also an early guess that is probably a red herring —— maybe the ambien she mentioned is involved in the deaths?

looking forward to the season, promising start

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

she shouldn't have been pressured to drink the wine, but she seemed to me like an insufferable, miserable news-addicted lib who doesn't know (or has forgotten) how to have fun and judges everyone around her/has no chill while also being on a super expensive vacation in a super expensive (looking) bathing suit. and then there was also that dinner scene deciding what her and her husband were gonna have for dinner without letting him have a choice, which seems indicative of larger issues with their relationship and how she treats him.

also an early guess that is probably a red herring —— maybe the ambien she mentioned is involved in the deaths?

I got the sense that, for all her domineering, she's very much only on this trip because her husband wants to be, and the two of them do seem to share some degree of trust. (He was fairly dismissive of the nudity though).

But yeah, she's absolutely used to being the top dog in her relationship with her husband, and doesn't like someone else putting pressure on him -- that's her job. She's territorial af, and that's putting a lot of her worse qualities up and front.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 2, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

maybe i'm forgetting or mis-remembering, but she didn't really make a big deal about the nudity to her husband, did she?

i assume like the 1st season we'll get a more rounded picture of all the characters, mike white is good at finding/showing empathy for people who seem pretty rotten at first (not that she's necessarily rotten, but from what we/i saw this ep she seems a drag to be around) and diving deeper into their personality

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

not sure how I feel about the season opening with a mysterious dead body, it's pretty much exactly like the hook for last season. It's fine though, if it works. Maybe it'll go 10 seaosns and every season will start with someone dying at a White Lotus hotel.

They weren't pressuring her to drink. they were pressuring her to toast to a good vacation! she couldve just taken a glass, toasted, and had one sip and no one would've even noticed. That said, my take from that scene was that her partner was a douchebag and she was fine. There was no need for him to make a thing about her not wanting to do a silly toast. It wasn't until we got to her completely unnecessarily throwing cold water on connecting the rooms that I realized she was gonna be the character with flaws(?) and that it wouldn't immediately be about her man being a dick. Caring about whether people follow "the news" and saying you're on meds because "of everything" were both her being completely unable to experience the moment she was actually in.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Meanwhile I'm wondering where the "oblivious but kinda sweet" Tanya from S1 is...I do not like S2 Tanya! Sure, I'm not gonna shadow you and your aggro Rick Scott-looking husband, that's fine, but he can suck it up if he happens to catch a glimpse of me in the dining hall.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

and then there was also that dinner scene deciding what her and her husband were gonna have for dinner without letting him have a choice, which seems indicative of larger issues with their relationship and how she treats him.

Good point! Forgot about that one.

Fast Luck posted:

not sure how I feel about the season opening with a mysterious dead body, it's pretty much exactly like the hook for last season. It's fine though, if it works. Maybe it'll go 10 seaosns and every season will start with someone dying at a White Lotus hotel.

It wasn't until we got to her completely unnecessarily throwing cold water on connecting the rooms that I realized she was gonna be the character with flaws(?) and that it wouldn't immediately be about her man being a dick.

I personally love it and kinda hope that'll be the show's Thing. Then again, it's definitely a cheap, guaranteed hook for folks like me, because I'm automatically trying to figure out who it is.

I'm with you on the other stuff, but I'm 100% on her side with not connecting the rooms. I don't/barely know these people! You're not just wandering into my room without warning. :colbert:

VVV They definitely mentioned more than one body, because my partner and I both looked at each other and went "OH?!"

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 2, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

not sure how I feel about the season opening with a mysterious dead body,
it looked to me like there were *2* bodies (or they mentioned "guests" plural)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah someone who drowned plus actually an undetermined number of additional dead guests :lol:

Meanwhile I'm wondering where the "oblivious but kinda sweet" Tanya from S1 is...I do not like S2 Tanya! Sure, I'm not gonna shadow you and your aggro Rick Scott-looking husband, that's fine, but he can suck it up if he happens to catch a glimpse of me in the dining hall.

Good point! Forgot about that one.

I personally love it and kinda hope that'll be the show's Thing. Then again, it's definitely a cheap, guaranteed hook for folks like me, because I'm automatically trying to figure out who it is.

I'm with you on the other stuff, but I'm 100% on her side with not connecting the rooms. I don't/barely know these people! You're not just wandering into my room without warning. :colbert:
Yeah you might not, but you can let the hotel guy do his thing. Jumping in to interrupt him and assure him it'll never happen was unnecessary and was her sending a preemptive signal to the other couple that she was uninterested in becoming friends. Even if you're not interested in being that chummy with them you don't need to broadcast it like that.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Watch, there's gonna be a White Lotus x Succession crossover...all those dead bodies washing onshore are from the Waystar cruise ships. :tinfoil:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah you might not, but you can let the hotel guy do his thing. Jumping in to interrupt him and assure him it'll never happen was unnecessary and was her sending a preemptive signal to the other couple that she was uninterested in becoming friends. Even if you're not interested in being that chummy with them you don't need to broadcast it like that.
one thing I do think woud be interesting though is if Aubrey Plaza's husband "aw, cmon babe"s her into some truly bad situation. He shrugged off that other dude going naked in front of her to change into the swim trunks pretty easily and while I don't think he was necessarily wrong on that, I could see it heading down the wrong path.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Fast Luck posted:

They weren't pressuring her to drink. they were pressuring her to toast to a good vacation! she couldve just taken a glass, toasted, and had one sip and no one would've even noticed. That said, my take from that scene was that her partner was a douchebag and she was fine. There was no need for him to make a thing about her not wanting to do a silly toast. It wasn't until we got to her completely unnecessarily throwing cold water on connecting the rooms that I realized she was gonna be the character with flaws(?) and that it wouldn't immediately be about her man being a dick. Caring about whether people follow "the news" and saying you're on meds because "of everything" were both her being completely unable to experience the moment she was actually in.

The toast is like when a coworker brings you a piece of cake they brought because it's their birthday. Maybe you think it looks gross and also you don't really like cake. Normal human behavior is to take it anyway, smile and say thank you and then just quietly not eat it. The douchebag instead declares they are on a diet and also don't eat cake out of principle. You're interrupting a social event to make it all about you.

Then when they are shown how to connect the rooms she basically tells her husbands friends that she doesn't want to hang out with them - and she does it in front of her husband and the hotel staff. It's unnecesarry and awkward - but she just can't help herself.

She assumes other people are lying when they show affection for each other because she can't comprehend that people would do that after 5 years of marriage. Nothing wrong with not doing that - we're all different! The point is she assumes her own experience is universal and if others behaves differently they must be faking.

She's self-absorbed, judgemental and self-righteous.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I guess to me it seems ruder to accept a glass of wine (or cake, or whatever) and then just not touch it than it is to just politely decline and let someone else have the extra. :shrug:

Owling Howl posted:

She assumes other people are lying when they show affection for each other because she can't comprehend that people would do that after 5 years of marriage.

I'm torn on that point: I definitely rolled my eyes at "no one could POSSIBLY love each other and show it after FIVE WHOLE YEARS", but on the other hand, Theo James and his wife seem creepy and fake as hell.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
I think the thesis of Harper's arc will be her inability to effectively navigate polite social norms to gracefully assert her boundaries. Already her (very reasonable) boundaries are corroding:
1. She doesn't want to drink, but takes a sip anyway despite her discomfort.
2. She doesn't want to have a shared room with awful misogynist man, but their rooms are now connected, so her ability to take space for herself to be alone is gone.
3. Oh god the changing in view of her ahhh. Like not the worst poo poo (holy gently caress him complaining about sexual misconduct yikes), but a sign of things to come.

She's got a bunch of weaknesses and a few flaws, but right now she's absolutely the protagonist in that group of 4. I like her alot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Given that Aubrey Plaza thinks the other couple is trying to take advantage of them, I felt the room thing and the wine thing were just her sending signals to the other couple. The refusal to connect rooms feels like an escalation of the previous action; I wonder if she'd even have been so aggressive about it if she hadn't felt pressured to take a drink. (Which, like, it's alcohol. If someone doesn't want to take a glass that's fine, it's not like she's refusing water or even fruit juice.)

That they keep trying and pressuring her to connect, and then Theo James hangs (fake) dong in front of her after her repeatedly signally that, actually, no, she's not ready to lower her guard, was the bigger problem IMO.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

One thing I noticed after re-watching the beach scene at the beginning is that, prior to finding the body, Theo James Wife seemed to be having a great time and praises the hotel/staff. This leads me to believe that, before that point, nothing too terrible has happened to HER, at least...unless she's genuinely that good at faking happiness. :stare:

(Apologies, I need another re-watch to learn everyone's names!)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this is lowkey my favorite show of the past few years. season 1 was like, perfect

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"it's like Survivor, but with assholes, and without the Surviving"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I do not like S2 Tanya! Sure, I'm not gonna shadow you and your aggro Rick Scott-looking husband, that's fine, but he can suck it up if he happens to catch a glimpse of me in the dining hall.

Isn't he the "BLM" guy that Tanya hooked up with in season 1?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Isn't he the "BLM" guy that Tanya hooked up with in season 1?

Yup, so far him and Tanya are the only recurring characters. They're married now, not sure how much time has passed between S1 and S2.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Z-SPAM is leaking.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

great episode, it looked incredible. it takes something special to make beautiful shots of Sicily stand out

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

That's definitely how I read her character. She's got some obvious flaws with the news-addicted lib thing but also is being thrown into situations where she's obviously uncomfortable and I can't fault her for that. She's not the top "worst character on the show" candidate though, despite what some people want to force.

Agreed on this season setting up to be the power dynamics of sex. There's the obvious sexual-harasser who is completely oblivious to physical boundaries (changing in the same room as a woman he barely knows and he doesn't think about it at all). And I think people are going to overlook the "lecherous old man" stereotype being taken for a spin because he's played by a great actor, but he's a good example of society overlooking that type because he's "goofy" and "charming". He's my pick for worst person so far because everyone's going to cover for him, make excuses for him, pawn him off on other people, and (in the case of any woman caught in his crosshairs) have to put up with him until someone else provides a way to escape.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
New episode is up. The cool couple is pretty well done and I can’t wait to see what is coming next in that plot line.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I loving love Valentina.

"You look so... pink."
"Guess who I am?"
"Peppa Pig."

https://twitter.com/bobbyo17/status/1589447345539756032

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I really miss the cat and mouse hijinx of Armand and Shane from season 1. Shane was just so easy to hate, and we don’t quite have that yet after two episodes. Everything feels a bit darker and murkier.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

And I think people are going to overlook the "lecherous old man" stereotype being taken for a spin because he's played by a great actor, but he's a good example of society overlooking that type because he's "goofy" and "charming". He's my pick for worst person so far because everyone's going to cover for him, make excuses for him, pawn him off on other people, and (in the case of any woman caught in his crosshairs) have to put up with him until someone else provides a way to escape.

They're making it very difficult to overlook how lovely Bert is. Jesus Christ, his Hades story lol.

This was another good episode, I loved the whole sequence of getting Mia and Lucia named on the rooms. Then getting told not to spend too much and immediately buying new clothes and poo poo. Also not surprised that Greg is a piece of poo poo too given how he was acting in episode 1.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I feel like Mia and Lucia now technically being guests means that one or both of them are going to end up in the water. Mia having a key to Bert's room also seems like a Chekov's gun

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Every scene with Aubrey Plaza makes me feel physical pain and I'm not even sure what the point is other than a case-study on two horrible couples and the horrible ways they interact with each other.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

clown shoes posted:

I loving love Valentina.

"You look so... pink."
"Guess who I am?"
"Peppa Pig."

https://twitter.com/bobbyo17/status/1589447345539756032

Getting flashbacks to Shirley in Community dressed as Glenda the Good Witch. This is how I die! As Miss Piggyyyyy!

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Apparently The Wife was (not a spoiler, but hidden in case you want to keep guessing) ~*~*~*~* Laura Dern *~*~*~*~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PantsBandit posted:

Every scene with Aubrey Plaza makes me feel physical pain and I'm not even sure what the point is other than a case-study on two horrible couples and the horrible ways they interact with each other.
That is the point! That sort of thing is basically this whole show!