Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah they never really filled in the details, but it’s either that or Greg decided to be gay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah they never really filled in the details, but it’s either that or Greg decided to be gay?

Greg could’ve been gay or bi the whole time. Could’ve been a long con to get at Tanya’s money.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/moltisantithots/status/1597057946323910657

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I know "Christufuh" is a Sopranos reference/meme, but all I can ever think of when I read it like that is that stalker girl from Orange Is The New Black.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Read After Burning posted:

I'm a lady in a long-term happy relationship and even I'd probably turn into a Tex Avery wolf at THAT lady, goddamn.

I mean, yeah, I don't think the point is that it's wrong and bad the Di Grasso men are into insanely hot women. But I do think the 3-generation leer was flawless at making its point: that Albie is no goddamn different. Each one of them thinks they're morally better than their elder, and it's absurd because whatever their moral pretensions, in the moment it's the exact same impulse: "wait, who is SHE?!?"

Bird in a Blender posted:

Greg could’ve been gay or bi the whole time. Could’ve been a long con to get at Tanya’s money.

I assumed this, as well. Greg was probably bi or gay, didn't particularly care about Tanya outside her money at any point, and either maintained or rekindled a connection with Quentin years after having some youthful dalliance. The "closeted Wyoming cowboy" part felt like a specific Brokeback Mountain reference, so I instantly filled in some blanks that they had some kind of decades-long penpal relationship that was never official but may have involved periodic down-low meetups.

Only with some Strangers on a Train energy sprinkled in.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Xealot posted:

I mean, yeah, I don't think the point is that it's wrong and bad the Di Grasso men are into insanely hot women. But I do think the 3-generation leer was flawless at making its point: that Albie is no goddamn different. Each one of them thinks they're morally better than their elder, and it's absurd because whatever their moral pretensions, in the moment it's the exact same impulse: "wait, who is SHE?!?"

This is made extra funny by the fact that (unless I'm misremembering), during the time he's into Portia, Albie seems to NOT glance at any of the hot women that pass by him at the resort. Like they make it a point to show several pretty and/or busty ladies pass by him walking towards the camera, but he stays looking straight ahead.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I found mike white’s interview on the ringer’s prestige tv podcast pretty helpful for fleshing out my thoughts on the show. he talked about ethan and harper being inspired by some of his early relationships, and what he called the futility of trying to have a relationship where you’re 100% in sync with your partner. I guess the show does traffic in extremes but I thought the couples storylines were an interesting exploration of the tension between being attached to someone and wrapped up in their life, and being an individual who remains the protagonist of their own story.

Xealot posted:

yeah it’s interesting to think of them as essentially exhibiting the same behavioral patterns, but filtered through three different generational lenses: Burt in complete denial (ignorance?) of his damaging behavior, Christofah is more openly ‘wrestling with his demons’ but basically doing the same poo poo, and then Albie has adopted a sort of ‘nice guy’ persona with some 101 level social media feminism thrown in, but at the end of the day he’s happy to sell off his mom for some rear end

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I viewed Bert's argument as a super midcentury patriarchal one. "My wife was perfectly happy! I gave her everything she wanted and she was blissfully ignorant of anything else. I did my job and that was good enough." Meanwhile, yeah, Dom seems to approach it like an addict, like it's this external vice on his back he struggles to control. And Albie drowns his wants in bullshit performative virtue signaling. Pretty on point for all of them, generationally.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

blue squares posted:

Then when Tanya comes out shooting, the audience is not distracted thinking "Oh, no, what if this is a tragic misunderstanding"
Anyone else think it would have been funnier if they had left it ambiguous instead of spelling out that they were indeed trying to kill her and so her actions were justified in self-defense?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

NoDamage posted:

Anyone else think it would have been funnier if they had left it ambiguous instead of spelling out that they were indeed trying to kill her and so her actions were justified in self-defense?

I think so. I figured the prenup had a clause about infidelity and that using the guy to have her cheat was the ploy all along. Murdering everyone over potentially being ratted out on that is much more wild in my eyes.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think so. I figured the prenup had a clause about infidelity and that using the guy to have her cheat was the ploy all along. Murdering everyone over potentially being ratted out on that is much more wild in my eyes.

Same! I thought that was a bit outlandish, but a much easier and more cinematic ending for Tanya vs. years of legal battles.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Xealot posted:

I viewed Bert's argument as a super midcentury patriarchal one. "My wife was perfectly happy! I gave her everything she wanted and she was blissfully ignorant of anything else. I did my job and that was good enough." Meanwhile, yeah, Dom seems to approach it like an addict, like it's this external vice on his back he struggles to control. And Albie drowns his wants in bullshit performative virtue signaling. Pretty on point for all of them, generationally.

This is much better said than the weird feeling I couldn’t quite put my finger on so thank you.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I've heard the movie triangle of sadness is white lotus but - get this - it's a movie.

So I'm going to watching that tomorrow and report back on my feelings, and somehow tie it into albie being either an incel or a hypocrite. See you in 24 hours.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
It's only been a week since the finale, but this show was such a needed pop culture vortex of campy joy that I find myself in withdrawal. The true Holiday blues.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

roomtone posted:

I've heard the movie triangle of sadness is white lotus but - get this - it's a movie.

I've seen it and pretty much, yeah. What if White Lotus Inc ran a cruise.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Tanya's storyline turned into a Coen Brothers story, especially in the finale.

PostNouveau posted:

They probably would have gotten away with it if they had disconnected Portia and Tanya by getting rid of Tanya's phone instead of Portia's. Tanya's on a drug binge and in general ditzy and careless, so she wouldn't have been suspicious, whereas Portia is constantly connected to hers.

Not nitpicking the logic here though. I think you're supposed to see the conspiracy members as sloppy and inexperienced. It's very Fargo.

Their ideal scenario seemed to be that Portia and Tanya get disconnected, but Portia thinks Tanya's doing fine and on her way to the airport right up to the moment that she boards the plane without her. Then she finds out Tanya's dead when she's already back in America.
Can Mike White please write and direct the next season of Fargo? He'd be perfect.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

lol that the love of Tom Hollander's life that he would die trying to commit a murder for was Uncle Rico

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NoDamage posted:

Oh it absolutely would have been better that way. And really all you'd need to do is get rid of the last scene with Jack warning Portia. It would have been a masterful bit of existential black comedy if we were left thinking "okay but maybe they were just friendly gay guys"

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I've only seen Tom Hollander in this and The Night Manager and based on that I think he is just the creepiest little worm on TV. Good stuff.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Mons Hubris posted:

I've only seen Tom Hollander in this and The Night Manager and based on that I think he is just the creepiest little worm on TV. Good stuff.

Add Pride & Prejudice to the list. Little wormy dude.
Though I adore him in In The Loop!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

He's also great in Taboo, which will theoretically get a second season at some point

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

Add Pride & Prejudice to the list. Little wormy dude.
Though I adore him in In The Loop!

Best part of the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

NoDamage posted:

Yeah, that would have been better. Tanya going all John Wick with her eyes closed was amazing.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

live with fruit posted:

Best part of the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels.

Now that's faint praise.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/tom_augustine/status/1613695884864389120

:allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What a class act

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'm gonna watch Season 1 for the third time soon, and I'm realizing it just hit differently than S2 did. Different "vibes", I guess.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I watched them back to back and liked S2 so much more. Except Armond ofc who was disconnected in a lot of ways but so drat amazing (and I realize now his mustache had to have come from Basil Fawlty).

S2's ending with the two couples sitting down for breakfast was such a wonderful finish, just this fantastic way to put it all together.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 28, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In case this is the thread that Murray Bartlett fans read, he fuckin knocked it out of the park in The Last of Us this week.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

NoDamage posted:

Disagree here. Part of what made it work for me was that it was so incredibly outlandish that you don't really believe that's she's right until they are explicitly saying it. Puts you in the same mindset of Portia, who also doesn't believe it's actually happening until it's very, very clear.

Also it just plays better that her actions are selfdefense but clumsy and gives her some dignity before exiting stage left. If you think she just murdered a bunch of innocent dudes who wanted to give her a nice vacation, it really taints the character.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

withak posted:

In case this is the thread that Murray Bartlett fans read, he fuckin knocked it out of the park in The Last of Us this week.

He’s popping up everywhere and I love it!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He was one of the best parts of Welcome to Chippendales for sure

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Disagree here. Part of what made it work for me was that it was so incredibly outlandish that you don't really believe that's she's right until they are explicitly saying it. Puts you in the same mindset of Portia, who also doesn't believe it's actually happening until it's very, very clear.

Also it just plays better that her actions are selfdefense but clumsy and gives her some dignity before exiting stage left. If you think she just murdered a bunch of innocent dudes who wanted to give her a nice vacation, it really taints the character.

honestly, i dont think the gays were trying to murder her for her money. i think they were trying to basically seduce her into joining (financing) their decadent mediterranean cocaine lifestyle for sure, because quentin correctly identified her as rich and lonely. but that the murder plot really only exists in tanya's head, and quentin has no idea why she's acting so weird (and doesn't want to question her/scare her off because he desperately needs a sugar mama). thematically it also fits, making quentin the biggest sex worker of them all in a plot when everyone is trying to gently caress someone else for money

the overall murder plot is pretty amateurish. are they just going to tie her up and shoot her? you can't do that to an extremely wealthy tourist and expect that problem to simply go away! no, if they really wanted to kill her, overdosing her when she was accepting all kinds of drugs would be a much less suspicious way of explaining to the police why this heiress ended up dead in your proximity. also, a bunch of fabulous yacht gays who hang around the opera and know yoked rear end mafiosos who can provide molly and cunnilingus don't need to murder anyone to get paid

there's only a few things that are used in the narrative to create this idea of greg plotting to kill tanya:

-his secret late night phone call
-quentin's story about his wyoming lover
-the photo on quentin's nightstand of someone who could be greg

otherwise there's nothing really tying greg to things, which is essential for any part of this scheme to make sense. the phone call could have been to who knows who else, greg's secret lover or his kid or something. there's absolutely no reason for quentin to talk about loving a wyoming cowboy if he is plotting with greg, but it's the kind of thing that would be an innocent story to tell otherwise. and the photo may or may not be some rando, but if i were mixed up in a plot to murder my old friend's wife for an inheritance i'd drat well remember to remove any traces of a prior connection to this person from my home. so imo it's all pretty thin proof that greg has anything to do with this, but this is all essential to causing tanya to think he's involved and to end up on some kind of crazy paranoid spiral

further, i dont know why the italian gigolo/hitman/coke dealer keeps all his business in the same bag, but i'd think that if i were planning to shoot someone dead i would not just invite them to peruse the contents of my murder bag and explicitly identify it as the bag that contains my loaded firearm, used for killing people

basically i think these crumbs are necessary to establish what tanya believes is happening in a credible enough way to persuade the viewer that she may be on to something, but ultimately murdering a bunch of people who've shown you nothing but (sinister) kindness is a pretty spot on way for tanya's story to end

also re: jack and portia, i do think he was ordered to keep her away from tanya, but i also think his emotional breakdown and urging portia to flee because of the bad, powerful people was him just increasingly having severe trouble keeping a lid on his entirely disagreeable concubinage. like he lapses into serious alcohol abuse very quickly, jack is having a real rough time and he's not a reliable narrator because he's just struggling under accumulated trauma

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 31, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's not really crumbs though, they telegraph very hard by the last episode that they actually do mean to kill her. Jack's actions, them all impatiently waiting for her to leave the boat, that her date is a member of the mob... and is bringing rope and a gun...

quote:

also re: jack and portia, i do think he was ordered to keep her away from tanya, but i also think his emotional breakdown and urging portia to flee because of the bad, powerful people was him just increasingly having severe trouble keeping a lid on his entirely disagreeable concubinage. like he lapses into serious alcohol abuse very quickly, jack is having a real rough time and he's not a reliable narrator because he's just struggling under accumulated trauma

...like this is so much legwork from what we're shown. The bits where the show wants us to fill in the blanks aren't particularly subtle (just going to that beach, way over there~).

Granted leaving the door partially open to this interpretation is part of the whole appeal of it, but still, Occam's razor my man.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 1, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

doing molly, chatting up sex workers and bringing them back to your hotel room is still a bad thing

:wrong:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

honestly, i dont think the gays were trying to murder her for her money.

:words:

Did Quentin write this post

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I’m going through the thread and I have to jump to the end because it’s driving me crazy: EVERYONE sucks. Some people have better aspects than other, but the point is that every person in every season is a bad person in some way. Advocating for anyone is like trying to grab water with a sieve.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

I’m going through the thread and I have to jump to the end because it’s driving me crazy: EVERYONE sucks. Some people have better aspects than other, but the point is that every person in every season is a bad person in some way. Advocating for anyone is like trying to grab water with a sieve.

See, I think poo poo like that (or Succession, Seinfeld, Always Sunny, etc), where all the main characters are lovely assholes, can lead to some interesting discussions. :kiddo: I'm always intrigued to see what is excusable/understandable behavior for some viewers, while other folks are like "Lmao what, they're literally the WORST of the group!"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there no S1 thread? I'm just now watching that season and so far it owns. Definitely scratches the "everyone's an insane rear end in a top hat" itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1630438568890970113

:allears:

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there no S1 thread? I'm just now watching that season and so far it owns. Definitely scratches the "everyone's an insane rear end in a top hat" itch.

I'm in the minority here, but I kinda preferred S1. :hfive: Let's discuss!

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 1, 2023