Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think s1 was funnier, s2 was more watchable. There was less cringy stuff. Those meals in s1 with the fam were brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I watched both seasons back to back a couple months ago. I liked S1 better overall, but S2 definitely had the stronger finale. Personally I'm more into the themes of class in S1 than sexuality in 2.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think s2 is “meatier” with stronger thematic depth but s1 is more entertaining overall. Good show tbh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Both seasons are perfect

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

I think s1 was funnier, s2 was more watchable. There was less cringy stuff. Those meals in s1 with the fam were brutal

I found a lot of the characters in S1 so broad and cartoony that it was more enjoyable to watch, S2 felt more grounded and so I was pretty stressed out by a lot of the drama, haha

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

S1 had Belinda, the only truly good person in the entire show. And Armand, who was the most entertaining. I liked S1 Tanya a little better too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The S2 arc for Tanya didn’t work for me, and I didn’t like any of the supporting characters in that plot line. It also kinda sucked that all the gay characters ended up being gag jokes and props.

S2 for me shines because of Mia and Lucia. There’s something real nice about seeing two effervescent, indefatigable characters assert their agency. The feel goodness was a bright spark in an otherwise dour slate of characters.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

S2 for me shines because of Mia and Lucia. There’s something real nice about seeing two effervescent, indefatigable characters assert their agency. The feel goodness was a bright spark in an otherwise dour slate of characters.

I'd agree with this. Plus they were sexy as hell.

The best arc for me of either season was the S1 escalation of the wrong room situation. Completely ludicrous ending but somehow built organically by a completely plausible sequence of interactions.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

both seasons were great, but I think I prefer S1. particularly I felt like things were a bit more coherent by having a bunch of storylines contained within the resort, sometimes intersecting, and all kind of tied together through Armond and his story which was my favorite part

in S2 things split off more into different directions, and the Ethan/Harper stuff eventually just kind of became a drag that had me waiting for it to cut back to Mia/Lucia/Tanya

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Yeah, S1 had one central "mystery" (someone ends up dead...who will it be?), whereas S2 had that central "mystery" (multiple people end up dead...who will it be?) as well as

1. What's up with Tanya and the gays?
2. Is Lucia actually in danger or is she scamming Albie?
3. What in the adultery is going on with Ethan/Harper and Cameron/Daphne?

S1 obviously had subplots, but I don't feel any of them were, like, "mysteries" (for lack of a better term).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, S1 had one central "mystery" (someone ends up dead...who will it be?), whereas S2 had that central "mystery" (multiple people end up dead...who will it be?) as well as

1. What's up with Tanya and the gays?
2. Is Lucia actually in danger or is she scamming Albie?
3. What in the adultery is going on with Ethan/Harper and Cameron/Daphne?

S1 obviously had subplots, but I don't feel any of them were, like, "mysteries" (for lack of a better term).

#2 was never a mystery. It was obvious the entire time! And I wouldn't really describe #3 as a mystery either. It's not like there were a bunch of secrets that we were trying to figure out.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

wizardofloneliness posted:

S1 had Belinda, the only truly good person in the entire show. And Armand, who was the most entertaining. I liked S1 Tanya a little better too.

If Belinda was a truly good person she wouldn't have left what's-her-name high and dry in her time of greatest emotional need just cos a rich white lady didn't give her a million dollars.

The only good character was the son. He let his sister and her friend have the whole living room, made friends with the locals, didn't convince them to steal anything, and then asserted his agency in his life.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

#2 was never a mystery. It was obvious the entire time! And I wouldn't really describe #3 as a mystery either. It's not like there were a bunch of secrets that we were trying to figure out.

You're right about #2, however it was absolutely a mystery for a lot of people. I like reading recaps of shows I'm watching for some reason, and let me tell you, those people are just as bad at paying attention as your average goon.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Okay, "mystery" isn't the right word, but the subplots had more "intrigue" than anything in S1. Suspense? I don't know the word I'm looking for, sorry.

Like everything in S1 seemed fairly cut and dry to even the most dense viewer, at least in comparison to S2. Whereas S2 I saw a lot more discussion of "Wait, so what's happening? What are this character's motivations, is it A or B?"

wizardofloneliness posted:

You're right about #2, however it was absolutely a mystery for a lot of people. I like reading recaps of shows I'm watching for some reason, and let me tell you, those people are just as bad at paying attention as your average goon.

Basically that. Like even if someone caught on right away, there were "clues" you could point to. S1 didn't have any clues because there were no mysteries, whether actual intended ones or via viewers not paying attention.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The real reason season 1 is better is because of the pooping scene. That was art. Season 2 had a lot of great things, but nothing that great.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I liked the music better in season one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My favorite mystery in S2 is "what is going through Cameron and Daphne's minds when they sit down with Harper and Ethan for breakfast at the end"?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Escobarbarian posted:

I think s2 is “meatier” with stronger thematic depth

i thought s1 was a lot clearer (and stronger) thematically

both are great though

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I'm in the minority here, but I kinda preferred S1. :hfive: Let's discuss!
No idea how it compares since I've only seen like half of the first one so far. But I've heard the S1>S2 opinion from others too.

I don't know if I can say much so far, other than I really enjoy the low key ridiculousness punctuated by absolutely :tviv: poo poo happening once in a while like the girls busting out more and more drugs or the rimjob scene that inevitably causes me to lose my poo poo. Curious to see what kind of bigger point it'll coalesce on other than [rich] people are nuts

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Thailand!

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/white-lotus-season-3-location-thailand-1235565604/

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Damnit I thought it was gonna be Tokyo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should have Jennifer Coolidge back as Ghost Tanya.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

withak posted:

Two words: pre quel

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

S2 had my favorite trope which is scrappy nare-do-well's who do generally harmless crime to scrape by who get intertwined in a larger plot of people well off, don't really give a poo poo about that plot, but ultimately impact it greatly while also coming out in a better place by the end

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the S2 premiere after a pause. Good kickoff, not much else to say so far.

I had no idea where it was supposed to be set (though the opening credits gave away Italy) and it was surprising to see that they seemed to at least partially shoot on location in Taormina. Really cool place. Also makes sens to have White Lotus as a chain so they can jump around as they want. Thailand would be a good location too though I wonder if it wouldn't be too similar to Hawaii in terms of setting, especially if they never leave the resort.

E: I also now get the thread title

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 30, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I imagine a Thai setting is going to lead to a lot of commentary on sex tourism.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Thai tax credits keep winning.

Excited for future seasons inevitably set in Australia, Iceland and South Africa.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Staying at the White Lotus Hotel in Athens, Georgia

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

I imagine a Thai setting is going to lead to a lot of commentary on sex tourism.

Righteous Gemstones has ruined me, because I can't hear someone talking about taking a trip to Thailand without thinking of

quote:

I think the biggest misconception about Thailand is that it's gonna all be about the ladyboys, like they're just gonna be everywhere hanging out of windows with their cocks in their panties.

But it's not, okay? The food, no joke. Beaches are unreal. And we're gonna be taller than everybody.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

withak posted:

Give her a prominent beauty mark, have Jennifer Coolidge play Tanya's twin sister investigating her death.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

Give her a prominent beauty mark, have Jennifer Tilly play Tanya's twin sister investigating her death.

:colbert:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thailand would be a good location too though I wonder if it wouldn't be too similar to Hawaii in terms of setting, especially if they never leave the resort.

I have the same question. A lot of the postcolonial critique you could read into S1 seems like it'd apply equally to a resort in Thailand, e.g. a tropical destination where obliviously rich white people consume the indigenous culture like it was an attraction at a theme park, and the locals have no choice but to invite it because of the wildly unbalanced tourist economy.

For some reason, I'd previously heard S3 might take place at some kind of winter resort located in Hokkaido. Which, if nothing else, would've had a radically different vibe.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Xealot posted:

For some reason, I'd previously heard S3 might take place at some kind of winter resort located in Hokkaido. Which, if nothing else, would've had a radically different vibe.

You may be combining the creator's mention that he'd like to go to Asia (specifically Japan) next, with this thread's discussion that somewhere snowy would be a fun change.

My vote was Egypt!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

You may be combining the creator's mention that he'd like to go to Asia (specifically Japan) next, with this thread's discussion that somewhere snowy would be a fun change.

My vote was Egypt!
Egyptian resorts are full of russians so that might be interesting cold-war like awkward dynamics

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
One episode to go.

Curious to see what happens but I think you guys are too harsh on my boy Ethan. He's kind of a moron (so I can identify with him) and they obviously have some pre-existing relationship issues but I think it'd be pretty hard for anyone to sell "Yes we did get very drunk and high with two hookers and brought them to our room but I didn't touch them and went to sleep alone while my friend hosed them both, don't tell his wife ok".

And now Harper's either loving with him or is actually interested in loving his friend. Pretty messed up either way, and she was kind of terrible from the very beginning too.

Happy for Valentina. She reminds me of my former manger, though she was Italian and never tried to ask me out :(

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I hope that for season three they can mix it up thematically

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Watched the finale. Holy poo poo, that's quite a conclusion.

Too much to unpack here especially since everyone moved on already. I do feel like I was mostly right w/r/t Ethan, since Cameron was trying to gently caress his wife (undressing, groping under the table) and she did flirt with him and go up to the room with the intention to either get back at Ethan or just because she was horny. Obviously he's still an rear end in a top hat for covering for Cameron initially.

I'm not sure if they got "infected" by their crazy friends and will now casually cheat on each other, or just got over whatever was messing up their relationship and would be mostly fine for now. I did love Harper's reaction at the dinner dinner :lol:

And Tanya going all John Wick on the boat. Good season. I do think S1 was funnier which would put it as more enjoyable watch overall.

a new study bible! posted:

I hope that for season three they can mix it up thematically
It seems like they're changing the themes each season but on the higher level it's always going to be "rich people being assholes in a luxury resort".

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
S2 wins on better opening credit sequence and music alone. That's before even considering the presence of F. Murray Abraham.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Like Succession and Beef, The White Lotus casts an actual creep as an on-screen creep.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/04/f-murray-abraham-allegedly-exited-mythic-quest-after-at-least-two-sexual-misconduct-claims

quote:

Nearly a year after F. Murray Abraham’s mysterious exit from Mythic Quest ahead of its third season, new details have come to light about what allegedly led to his ousting.

Sources told Rolling Stone that the 83-year-old actor was let go from the AppleTV+ series after at least two sexual misconduct complaints. The first incident led to Abraham being dealt a warning about his alleged behavior and a directive to stay away from some of the show’s actresses, a production source told the outlet. When an alleged second encounter was communicated to creator and star Rob McElhenney, Rolling Stone understands that Abraham was written off the show at the start of the third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

...Wait, who is the IRL sex pest in Beef? :stare: