Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

...Wait, who is the IRL sex pest in Beef? :stare:
David Choe said in a 2014 podcast that he’s a “successful rapist” and that his victim was a black massage therapist.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/beef-star-david-choe-slammed-podcast-detailing-rapey-behavior-resurfac-rcna79809

He appears to have also filed copyright takedown notices against tweets calling him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Between that and Frank Langella it's been a banner year for seemingly genteel old bald guys to be creepy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Read After Burning posted:

...Wait, who is the IRL sex pest in Beef? :stare:

David Choe, who plays Isaac and also made the title card artwork, once claimed on camera to have sexually assaulted a masseuse.

Edit: beaten. But yeah, whether the story is real or not, the fact he'd tell it makes it clear he's a sex pest.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Vegetable posted:

David Choe said in a 2014 podcast that he’s a “successful rapist” and that his victim was a black massage therapist.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/beef-star-david-choe-slammed-podcast-detailing-rapey-behavior-resurfac-rcna79809

He appears to have also filed copyright takedown notices against tweets calling him out.

I thought I was confused but basically Bobby Lee did the exact same god drat thing somehow https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...apphireappshare

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Nuts and Gum posted:

I thought I was confused but basically Bobby Lee did the exact same god drat thing somehow https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...apphireappshare

Oh my god, :same:! I think these kind of resurfaced around the same time, I definitely remember texting my partner like "Uh, so ya remember Bobby Lee from MadTV...? :stare:"

Anyway, White Lotus! My boss was slow on watching S2 and was smugly predicting that he was so sure that Mia and Lucia were going to be the dead bodies, most likely killed by the horny dad, while his wife was apparently like "No, it's ABSOLUTELY going to be Tanya and maybe her assistant."

He showed up the next day like ":kiddo: My wife is way smarter than me."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Next season's manager has been discovered:

https://www.whio.com/news/local/hilton-hotel-manager-arrested-waking-up-guest-by-sucking-his-toes/YROHUUXFZRAHXNH4SG5PHJ2QWI/

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't think Tarantino does TV anymore

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kuiperdolin posted:

I don't think Tarantino does TV anymore

I on the other hand heard that he's almost finished with the concept of movies, so he'll be free for it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1666169153718308865

(This wait for S3 is killing me. :smith:)

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I just binged both seasons and I like S2 more. The praise for S1 seems to be heavily on the post-colonial/rich white people theme and how cutting it is, but it felt a bit Sociology 102 to me. Yes, Hawaii has been screwed over many many times, but, guess what, this show is kinda doing it again. We liked Hawaii as a character of a sort. The lure of the "exotic" worked. Hell, the one redeeming character essentially becomes the going-native cliche.

The vagueness of S2's character arcs is what resonated with me more. They all enter the story's weeklong unfolding at a crossroads, even if they don't realize it. The son who is disgusted with his cheating dad, but still tags along thinking he can rise above it (he probably could, but doesn't in the end); the reluctant friend of the prostitute who moralizes about it all at first, but turns out to be very good at the very thing she thought she was not; the newly rich married couple who think they can be untarnished by the jet-set circle they are being pulled into; the jet-setters who see no wrong in being morally gray, and eventually are vindicated in this. It goes on. I could be totally wrong, but I liked thinking about it. S1 felt more blunt-force in how I am supposed to care about each character.

Glad to hear S3 is not set in Tokyo or Hokkaido. They'd be boring for this kind of stuff, unless the schtick would be to lean into Japanese culture tropes and I don't want to see that. Or maybe isolate them in, say a Lost In Translation-like hotel, but that would eliminate the fun of a location as one of the characters. Perhaps the Thailand setting could be Chiang Mai and be an anti-Eat, Pray, Love kinda story.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 13, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like this show. It's like a soap opera but with better cinematography

mobby_6kl posted:

Just watched the S2 premiere after a pause. Good kickoff, not much else to say so far.

I had no idea where it was supposed to be set (though the opening credits gave away Italy) and it was surprising to see that they seemed to at least partially shoot on location in Taormina. Really cool place.

Yeah I was in Taormina just last year and they definitely filmed most of the season there since I recognized a ton of stuff. Really neat place but the beach I was on (the one you can see at the end close to where Ethan and Daphne maybe-gently caress) was super painful to walk on. You had to get little rubber shoes they sold nearby

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 13, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Looking back, I think I hated Harper most. Not because she was the worst person per se, but because people who are just ravenous for any shred of proof they're better than you set my teeth on loving edge.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

On the one hand, Harper was right that Ethan was hiding news from her.

On the other hand, Ethan was hiding info because he knew she wouldn't be able to observe the bro-code and would torpedo their friendship with Daphne and Cameron.

On the third hand, it would probably be for the best if those two couples went their separate ways.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Dapnhe owned

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Her idea of a good night is taking edibles in a rented villa and just vibing. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop on that side of the episode, but nope, all the shoes were back with Ethan and Cameron.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

daphne's line about men thinking they're out doing something really important when actually they're just wandering around alone is going to stick with me

it won't change me but y'know, i'll remember it

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

It reminded me of when I saw friends for the first time after the pandemic and there's a subset of people, mostly dudes, who are, "So what have you been doing?" And if there isn't a novel activity at the core of your answer, they're like a lost sheep. Or elephant I guess.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Das Boo posted:

Looking back, I think I hated Harper most. Not because she was the worst person per se, but because people who are just ravenous for any shred of proof they're better than you set my teeth on loving edge.

Ethan/Harper/Cameron just obliterated every lawyer in their 30s that I know. Absolutekg destroyed them.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The more I think about it the more Daphne is the best character in all of White Lotus.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

in the first ep I was thinking "oh Harper is gonna play a sort of detached observer like the college girls in the first season" but by episode two you realize that being like that in your late 30s suuuuucks

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 13, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MokBa posted:

The more I think about it the more Daphne is the best character in all of White Lotus.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mia is pretty close but yeah gotta stan Daphne

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

As soon as I realized that Daphne actually had no "secret plan" to gently caress with Harper/Ethan, she instantly became my favorite character of that season. :allears:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Best one is Valentina, for being the hottest person.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

wizardofloneliness posted:

S1 had Belinda, the only truly good person in the entire show. And Armand, who was the most entertaining. I liked S1 Tanya a little better too.

I will not stand for Quinn to be disrespected like this.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Season 3 casting
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/white-lotus-season-3-cast-jason-isaacs-parker-posey-michelle-monaghan-1235862617/

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I have loved Jason Isaacs since The O.A.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I have loved Jason Isaacs since AWAKE

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

hope parker posey gets a funny character, she can really make me laugh

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Every character from Best in Show should stay at a White Lotus.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I laughed my rear end off at at the climax of the show (Jennifer Coolidge clumsily falling to her death). Brilliant comedic timing.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

‘White Lotus’ Season 3 Casts Walton Goggins, Patrick Schwarzenegger, Aimee Lou Wood, Sarah Catherine Hook, Sam Nivola

Apparently Woody Harrelson was supposed to be in it as well, but had scheduling conflicts.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Chronicles posted:

‘White Lotus’ Season 3 Casts Walton Goggins, Patrick Schwarzenegger, Aimee Lou Wood, Sarah Catherine Hook, Sam Nivola

Apparently Woody Harrelson was supposed to be in it as well, but had scheduling conflicts.

gently caress yes, Goggins is my favorite actor! (Michael Shannon is a close second.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
They need to get Shea Whigham at some point