Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Half a lap? Do a whole lap, coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

north american stock car

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Justin Godscock posted:

Holy poo poo people talking about NASCAR on the forums is it 2006 already?

Legitimately dated someone around that time who was into nascar w/ family

It's crazy boring 9.9/10

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

NASCAR cars with wheels mounted to the outside corners of the car so they can go around the outside all the time without destroying the vehiclem

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Better yet. Some kind of feature sticking out of the walls that if they get too close it tears the right weels off

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

they will modify the wall to have gaps so that it isnt like a pinball running against a ball guide and that will be that

it was cool but the wall is a safety feature and not really part of the track. nascar won't want to encourage it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
a rule named after you to ban that thing you did one time is the coolest achievement in sports

winning a championship means you beat some other guys. having your own rule means you beat the sport.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

boar guy posted:

they will modify the wall to have gaps so that it isnt like a pinball running against a ball guide and that will be that

it was cool but the wall is a safety feature and not really part of the track. nascar won't want to encourage it

most tracks and even short tracks are already like this. or the outside lane is a racing lane so would be blocked with racing cars. this was an errant bit of magic that could only happen at this and maybe 1 or 2 other short tracks

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

most tracks and even short tracks are already like this. or the outside lane is a racing lane so would be blocked with racing cars. this was an errant bit of magic that could only happen at this and maybe 1 or 2 other short tracks

excuse me, per the driver interview this was a practiced manuever, not magic

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

or the outside lane is a racing lane so would be blocked with racing cars.

Pretty sure the race cars go on the track smart guy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Drone_Fragger posted:

NASCAR cars with wheels mounted to the outside corners of the car so they can go around the outside all the time without destroying the vehiclem

with motors on some of them that will boost the speed randomly

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

has anyone tested the driver for OP's disease?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
You get a time penalty in Forza horizon 5 online for doing this. Someone tell Xbox about this immediately!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think microsoft governs the rules of nascar

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Nascar's ultimate evolution. Slotcars.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002

Drone_Fragger posted:

https://twitter.com/SZipadelli/status/1587800226152202240?s=20&t=kmi21uwETM5tP5-eeny8Ig

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Thanks to my ultimate technique I have become the top racist at Nascar

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
It's legitimately funny that one of nascars biggest legends died because his car turned the wrong way.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Motherfucker posted:

A true champion.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Motherfucker posted:

oh dope posted:

It's legitimately funny that one of nascars biggest legends died because his car turned the wrong way.

two instances of going hard right

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bad Purchase posted:

two instances of going hard right

heh

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Motherfucker posted:

Kyle Larson's SA account is confirmed.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think microsoft governs the rules of nascar

I’m gonna ask Phil, we’ll see about that buddy.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

oh dope posted:

also he was a dumbass who "liked his belts loose" lol

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Motherfucker posted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

also he was a dumbass who "liked his belts loose" lol

and also fiercely resisted HANS devices, a life saving piece of kit that basically all motorsports use now, and once saved me from almost certain paralysis when we center punched a tree last year in a Quebec rally

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

and also fiercely resisted HANS devices, a life saving piece of kit that basically all motorsports use now, and once saved me from almost certain paralysis when we center punched a tree last year in a Quebec rally

Yeah fiercely resisting a HANS device is like saying “parachutes are for pussies” when you’re doing aerobatics in a lovely old plane. Like, do what you want but good luck scraping yourself off the pavement if something goes sour.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Dale Earnhardt Memorial F-Zero Energy Damage Bumpers Sponsored by Coke Zero. :rip::dale: Dale Earnhardt Junior Memorial F-Zero Energy Recovery Zones Sponsored by Cherry Coke Zero . :rip: :dale::dale:
Then you take the music from Fire Fields, looped in remembrance,, and together we can Save our Sport!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

oh dope posted:

It's kind of crazy how he basically got decapitated even though he just kind of mushed into the wall at a relatively low speed, apparently his head was hanging down in front of his body like a deflated balloon when the other driver found him

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well if you're going to go out, go out a legend and not an old geezer.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Toxic Mental posted:

It's kind of crazy how he basically got decapitated even though he just kind of mushed into the wall at a relatively low speed, apparently his head was hanging down in front of his body like a deflated balloon when the other driver found him

Helmets are heavy when you're going fast & it takes much less force than you'd expect when it's a head-on impact without a HANS device (named in honor of the die hard 1 bad guy)

Basilar skull fracture used to be the cause of death for a lot of
racing drivers, it's where the whiplash and weight of the helmet essentially pulls your brainstem loose

people wearing HANS devices have hit concrete walls at 180 and been relatively okay
f.ex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hW5MpdA5Cg

driver had a broken ankle after that wreck and was racing again about 6 weeks later, iirc

funeral home DJ posted:

Yeah fiercely resisting a HANS device is like saying “parachutes are for pussies” when you’re doing aerobatics in a lovely old plane. Like, do what you want but good luck scraping yourself off the pavement if something goes sour.

Especially considering there had already been years of proven efficacy of it! He didn't like it because he couldn't turn his head as much and thought it was dumb, UltraBoomer thought.

It was developed in the early 80s, and not all, but most driver deaths across all series in the preceding two decades before (and including) Earnhardt's death could've been avoided by their use of one as by then the unprotected human neck was by far the weakest link in race safety equipment by that point. Wu Was Right.

BTW I'm assuming you know this but for people who don't: After Earnhardt's death its use was mandated in NASCAR, as well as nearly every other series that was still slacking on it. Everything under the FIA requires one now.
Even amateur stuff will tend to require one if you're doing anything that's getting up to speeds that warrant their use.

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 3, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

FirstnameLastname posted:

Helmets are heavy when you're going fast & it takes much less force than you'd expect when it's a head-on impact without a HANS device (named in honor of the die hard 1 bad guy)

Basilar skull fracture used to be the cause of death for a lot of
racing drivers, it's where the whiplash and weight of the helmet essentially pulls your brainstem loose

people wearing HANS devices have hit concrete walls at 180 and been relatively okay
f.ex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hW5MpdA5Cg

driver had a broken ankle after that wreck and was racing again about 6 weeks later, iirc

yeah HANS are cool as gently caress and Dale was not cool as gently caress, he was old racecar driver as gently caress.

I learned to cut, grind and solder stained glass in a basement in Dayton, Ohio while my grandpa smoked cigarettes and watched stock car racing on a pushbutton TV, hell yeah I watch NASCAR.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You add coaster wheels to the side as shown above, but ALSO add a tin opener so that it rips open the barrier behind you so no other fucker can use it.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

NASCAR should add boost pads

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

NASCAR is boring as poo poo but man, this is awesome and lol it worked. This is probably going to get banned right?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who cares, he gonna get a rule named after him.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who cares, he gonna get a rule named after him.

That'd be cool if his name was rear end Face

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The rear end Face rule.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

they should definitely call it the nascar 05 gamecube rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

sigher posted:

NASCAR is boring as poo poo but man, this is awesome and lol it worked. This is probably going to get banned right?

i can't see why or how. it's not the first time a car has crossed the finish line in a state that could be described as "crashing". they may change a track guarding configuration or two due to this but those change so often and for multitudinous reasons it could may have already been planned for safety upgrades before any of this