Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the moderation thing sounds like a bigger problem tbh

reinventing email spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
since anyone can create an instance with very little barrier to entry, people will just create instances to spam/harass anyways.

i kind of like that tbh.

it's like an irc network where anyone can attach a node.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

be your own op

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i just would like to lol at how, somehow, the password reset emails and such from the mastodon instance i signed up for long long ago now come in with a big "[SPAM]" in the subject

like, they're not flagged by gmail as spam, it's literally text in the subject. idk if they're doing this as a troll or if it's somehow being injected by an intermediary

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

email and web forums were created a billion years ago, mastodon is six years old, i don’t think it’s totally crazy to expect some level of privacy in a product that new

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
what’s this “product” of which you speak?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/paul_haine/status/1589577943839346689

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'm glad that red forman seems to be enjoying his job

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

VSOKUL girl posted:

i just would like to lol at how, somehow, the password reset emails and such from the mastodon instance i signed up for long long ago now come in with a big "[SPAM]" in the subject

like, they're not flagged by gmail as spam, it's literally text in the subject. idk if they're doing this as a troll or if it's somehow being injected by an intermediary

probably an intermediary running spamassassin or something similar on relayed messages

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

carry on then posted:

i'm glad that red forman seems to be enjoying his job

if you've never watched "patriot", put it on the list, it's great

it also got cancelled by bezos after 2 seasons so you only need a limited attention span

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

So far it's just a bunch of twitter refugees effort posting introductions like it's an AA meeting.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
rip toots

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

is this site supposed to be so hard to use? surely i don't need an account on every server, do I?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Nope. you can still follow people on any* server from your home account.

*provided your home server isn’t basically 4chan and blocked by everyone

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Kazinsal posted:

mastodon exists for the same reason that all other foss for decentralized platforms exists: so internet weirdos can have their own fiefdoms in which they are the local god-emperor but their e-serfs can still talk to e-serfs in other dork-nobles' fiefdoms

cohost looks pretty cool though, didn't really use tumblr when it was useful and cohost looks like tumblr with markdown and threading so I'm probably gonna write some bizarre effortposts about weird computer poo poo on it

why do all the blogs describe this as being like email? this is very obviously just irc. i want my own server so i can be oper!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
how long until mastodon gets an eris, and they have to declare a separate eris-free mastodon?

actually i bet this has already happened

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/lukaseder/status/1593883694950977537

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
dmca and section 230 management is going to be a fun one too

https://twitter.com/rahaeli/status/1593819065444962306

https://twitter.com/rahaeli/status/1593819069228220416

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
time to upload shrek on a couple instances

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

mastodon is the federated twitter where a bunch of people run instances and it connects through some bullshit, but people can get mad at each other and sever their server connections. the admin of each instance can read all in/out pms to all the users.

it sounds like IRC

e: ahh you already said this above. it’s IRC but with hashtags as topics instead of channels

Hed fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 19, 2022

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
except also anyone can attach an instance to the “fediverse”

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

time to upload shrek on a couple instances

the gba video version

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so far most of the people i’m interested in following are theoretically going to mastodon, but not really posting anything there. when twitter actually goes down then this will probably change really fast

i’m not a big believer in the mastodon model or anything but it does seem to have a lot more momentum behind it than any of the alternatives

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Mastodon means boob teeth

Lol Greeks

sube
Nov 7, 2022

I'm so ready to be tweeting tooting

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/DiscordianKitty/status/1593555460866691074

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
two microblogging disasters for the price of one

https://twitter.com/triketora/status/1594353777175367680

they also just hired new moderators, and it's somehow not clear whether that actually made the situation better or worse

kliras fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 20, 2022

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

not really sure about mainstream acceptance ever happening if it remains common for large,
general-audience instances to fediblock other large, general-audience instances for having, like, a cop as a user

ACAB, but people who barely understand the federation concept are not going to love logging in to a bunch of friends disappeared

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
getting the mastodon instance i'm on blocked by another one cause i forgot to preface a post with a land acknowledgement

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
getting shadowbanned from the supposedly modern equivalent of e-mail because i signed off on my message with "cheers" instead of "kindest regards"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Alan Smithee posted:

Mastodon means boob teeth

Lol Greeks

lol boob tooth

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

anyone know how to unlock the Tonberry King instance? i got Bahamut and Zell's got 99 Death but

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

kliras posted:

getting shadowbanned from the supposedly modern equivalent of e-mail because i signed off on my message with "cheers" instead of "kindest regards"

dont sign your posts?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

getting the mastodon instance i'm on blocked by another one cause i forgot to preface a post with a land acknowledgement

forgot to content warning food too

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

1. sign up for mastodon.social, the biggest instance, because it's the default and, anyway, it's like email! you can talk with anyone! it's cool.

2. find out that mastodon.social is blocked by a bunch of instances because it is big and some of its users are jerks as a matter of probability.

3. start up your own solo instance so that this doesn't happen again. no gods no masters.

4. end up paying €600 per year to post: https://mastodon.ar.al/@aral/109308704512847392

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Insanite posted:

1. sign up for mastodon.social, the biggest instance, because it's the default and, anyway, it's like email! you can talk with anyone! it's cool.

2. find out that mastodon.social is blocked by a bunch of instances because it is big and some of its users are jerks as a matter of probability.

3. start up your own solo instance so that this doesn't happen again. no gods no masters.

4. end up paying €600 per year to post: https://mastodon.ar.al/@aral/109308704512847392

600€/yr to receive dear aral toots

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

"toots" heh

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
setting up an account on Mastodon is like the first time I ran Linux, asked "so what do I do with this" and went back to windows which at least didn't make me fall asleep looking at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
Apparently all the cool kids moved to hive today but it looks like Instagram and I’m scared hold me