Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/DJ_Link/status/1594740873408954382

seems like they fixed this because it wouldnt let me register as hbag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

no they just have a "no hbags" policy

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
free hbag

all hbags

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

VSOKUL girl posted:

free hbag

all hbags

its a no hbags policy. one hbag is fine

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

hive are feds anyway

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I do have to say ActivityPub social-media RSS, in concept, sounds like the right way to go when it comes to many of the social media ills and platform problems.

Like RSS itself though, there's not a clear way to bulk capture, monetize, and re-sell people's posts and social graphs so I fully expect it to not take off.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

El Mero Mero posted:

I do have to say ActivityPub social-media RSS, in concept, sounds like the right way to go when it comes to many of the social media ills and platform problems.

Like RSS itself though, there's not a clear way to bulk capture, monetize, and re-sell people's posts and social graphs so I fully expect it to not take off.

the history of new kinds of modern communications technologies has been almost entirely "fleeing from advertising." Fax, voice calls, email, usenet, everything is spoiled by ads and commerce because the government refuses to regulate it in any meaningful way.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mastodon needs a yospos skin. bring on the piss yellow

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

is .post a valid TLD cos i mean yos.post is right there

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

nudgenudgetilt posted:

mastodon needs a yospos skin. bring on the piss yellow

mods!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
there’s a w95 skin what more do you want

(it’s me, I want a system 7 skin)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag posted:

is .post a valid TLD cos i mean yos.post is right there

it is but it’s restricted to postal services

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

mastodon seriously needs to not crop images to 16:9, this is killing me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it genuinely confuses me why this is even a thing. lets all switch to the social network which is designed to make it practically impossible, as far as 99% of the users go, to kick people like trump and alex jones off it. because the thing we used last might unban those people?

certainly hoping twitter dies, but this is the lolbertarian decentralized option where every individual is going to use technology to make informed choices to create a good social situation.

upsides of course that it'll never go anywhere anyway.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it genuinely confuses me why this is even a thing. lets all switch to the social network which is designed to make it practically impossible, as far as 99% of the users go, to kick people like trump and alex jones off it. because the thing we used last might unban those people?

certainly hoping twitter dies, but this is the lolbertarian decentralized option where every individual is going to use technology to make informed choices to create a good social situation.

upsides of course that it'll never go anywhere anyway.

eh, defederation might as well be a ban as it impacts most users.

mastodon pros:
- your instance's admins can totally cut off fascist instances. you don't have to do anything.

mastodon cons:
- your instance's admins can totally cut off any random instance due to stupid meta fighting bullshit. thousands of your following and followed accounts might disappear, and you have no indication that this is happening unless your admins communicate it loudly and you're paying attention to the right stuff.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Insanite posted:

eh, defederation might as well be a ban as it impacts most users.

mastodon pros:
- your instance's admins can totally cut off fascist instances. you don't have to do anything.

mastodon cons:
- your instance's admins can totally cut off any random instance due to stupid meta fighting bullshit. thousands of your following and followed accounts might disappear, and you have no indication that this is happening unless your admins communicate it loudly and you're paying attention to the right stuff.

network effect equilibrium: 99% of users will be on instances peering with literally anything, making it entirely impossible to moderate in any way.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

probably true in the long run.

at the moment, a number of mid-sized instances are defederating from the largest instances due to legit beef/utter nonsense/bad vibes.

i like mastodon, but it's in a weird place right now. def not a twitter replacement, but a ton of people have flooded into it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

please don't make reasonable resigned posts in response, you're making me feel bad

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

paid accounts would help

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i would use mastodon more if it didnt just look like tweetdeck. i hate that ui

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
everyone should just run their own instance. problem solved

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Silver Alicorn posted:

mastodon seriously needs to not crop images to 16:9, this is killing me

Settings > Appearance > Post Layout > Uncheck “Crop images in non-expanded posts to 16x9”

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

https://twitter.com/DJ_Link/status/1594740873408954382

another successful libertarian project 🤝

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

eschaton posted:

there’s a w95 skin what more do you want

(it’s me, I want a system 7 skin)

https://mastodon.social/@atomicpoet/109402187988094104

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/21/tumblr-to-add-support-for-activitypub-the-social-protocol-powering-mastodon-and-other-apps/

Stuff like this is fantastic. I hope a ton of middle-tier dying social media sites integrate activitypub (not this one though. These forums are too dead and gay for that) because it would be the least lovely thing to happen to community on the internet in a long time.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Nybble posted:

Settings > Appearance > Post Layout > Uncheck “Crop images in non-expanded posts to 16x9”

ty pal :tipshat:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hbag posted:

are you using it through a web page or something, rather than the app?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

there should be a mastodon instance named canoe.social for canoe posters

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

domain’s available just FYI

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

has anyone said mastodont yet

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i am a prolific mastobater

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I did it. I made an account. now I’m a mastodoner.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

trip report so far after what, 10 minutes?

I hate it.

thanks!

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

eschaton posted:

there should be a mastodon instance named canoe.social for canoe posters

We have already established a canoe on mastodon.social :)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
"canoe canoe" -robin williams

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i gave in

jonny290@mastodon.radio

of course

(may use that as my legit ham account, and spin another one up for making GBS threads)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

for some reason search doesn’t show on the mobile site for mastodon.sdf.org, weird, I can do it on desktop though

e: never mind it’s hidden under the hashtag tab

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

hbag posted:

turn off advanced web ui in settings

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don’t think mastodon is too bad but I’m followed by the NetBSD Foundation so I can’t really shitpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why not