Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
every time i think of mastodon i think of eugen spending basically his whole life making it and then trump comes along and forks it for truth social and there's not a single goddamn thing eugen can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gpl3 would have at least made them think twice, or even better, eugen could grant or revoke rights to his own code as he saw fit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

why?

even if they were forced to release the modified code they're running, their "secret sauce" isn't in the code. it's in their willingness to be a platform for the type of content they're willing to be a platform for

you're 100% correct and i just looked and mastodon is AGPL-3 so :shrug:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

everyone should maintain legal control over their own work. Here's the requisite manifesto link, please share widely:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h__zP17eMoSXntHq6Jo7nKxRB8DoCOcVZ794Qd4LEA4/edit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i see "lola butt" is also viewing this document

thats me bitch

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

I just don’t write code for free, op.

epic samsies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i dont think the idea that the admins can read your DMs is weird unless its some kind of secret, which it never was.. Same thing is probably true here. If you wanna have a private convo, theres lots of places you can do that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

"the admins" will potentially be a different group of people, self-selecting, for every person you dm though.

Yeah. Dont have private convos on mastodon. I dont think its really an issue, given that its a widely-understood limitation/feature/bug/whatever

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

itd be nice if admins couldn't, but they can and that's just How It Is.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

elon can probably read your DMs too.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

seems like they fixed this because it wouldnt let me register as hbag

no they just have a "no hbags" policy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

I do have to say ActivityPub social-media RSS, in concept, sounds like the right way to go when it comes to many of the social media ills and platform problems.

Like RSS itself though, there's not a clear way to bulk capture, monetize, and re-sell people's posts and social graphs so I fully expect it to not take off.

the history of new kinds of modern communications technologies has been almost entirely "fleeing from advertising." Fax, voice calls, email, usenet, everything is spoiled by ads and commerce because the government refuses to regulate it in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

eschaton posted:

Washington Post tech section had an above-the-fold headline article on how to join Mastodon

they should run their own instance