Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echis posting really is immeasurably improved by his new avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

lol.

so the response to internet weirdos running interoperable feifdoms is to instead advocate for one group of internet weirdos' non-interoperable feifdom?

if that's how you feel it might be time to :getout: though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

"the admins" will potentially be a different group of people, self-selecting, for every person you dm though.

mostly mastodon is extremely obviously a technology solution for a social problem. and a very leaky abstraction making sure the issues of the technology will be very visible to users. you better care who runs what and how they peer, or what's the point?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

did you know the admins of every mail server you use or communicate with can read all your mail?

why has this horrible conspiracy not been brought to light before?

and this is a great state of affairs, no issue has ever arisen from the insecure nature of email, and i select and trust email services entirely randomly because i love this situation so much.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man, tempted to make my position extremely radical by suggesting that people shouldn't be on twitter either. but cool cool, didn't realize that the mastodon issues were well understood, will tell my mom to sign right up.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it genuinely confuses me why this is even a thing. lets all switch to the social network which is designed to make it practically impossible, as far as 99% of the users go, to kick people like trump and alex jones off it. because the thing we used last might unban those people?

certainly hoping twitter dies, but this is the lolbertarian decentralized option where every individual is going to use technology to make informed choices to create a good social situation.

upsides of course that it'll never go anywhere anyway.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Insanite posted:

eh, defederation might as well be a ban as it impacts most users.

mastodon pros:
- your instance's admins can totally cut off fascist instances. you don't have to do anything.

mastodon cons:
- your instance's admins can totally cut off any random instance due to stupid meta fighting bullshit. thousands of your following and followed accounts might disappear, and you have no indication that this is happening unless your admins communicate it loudly and you're paying attention to the right stuff.

network effect equilibrium: 99% of users will be on instances peering with literally anything, making it entirely impossible to moderate in any way.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

please don't make reasonable resigned posts in response, you're making me feel bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah. i mean, i don't fault anyone for messing about a bit with mastodon, but they should be prepared that it'll be catnip for libertarian weirdos and endless peering drama.