Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

mastodon is fun if you find the right crew but it is totally not a twitter replacement

I’m all retrocomputing, gardening, and astronomy and it’s chill

people who freak out about you not CWing a photo of a dog or a tomato that you grew are freaks and should be blocked—unless you signed up on an instance that hates dogs or tomatoes, which is possible, as mastodon is a PITA to get started on :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

cowboy beepboop posted:

i have joined an instance but do not undertand how to find users to follow

search hashtags and just straight-up ask people for recs

"hey, anyone know any cool people here who talk about #bikes/#birds/#butts/etc."

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

kliras posted:

i went back to kick the tires of it for fun, and in order to fave a toot(!) on another instance, i have to copy-paste its url into the search bar of my own instance, press enter and hit "favorite"

people are better off learning how to use git than this stuff

i guess it's ok just as a place to park your twitter presence to everyone can keep each other up to date on where they're actually going though. like linktree with six layers of abstraction and a foss license

yeah, the remote user interaction experience is p. rough, still. it seems like a priority for fixes (last major release even had some), but it's clunky. if you're following at the typical pre-twitter-sale pace, it's not a huge deal, but if you're trying to rebuild your twitter experience, it's going to be frustrating.

i don't think it's that bad, but i also feel the same way about git, now.

mastodon being pushed as a twitter replacement is gonna just make a lot of people feel confused or disappointed. right now, it's still best used by people who have some ideological commitment to decentralization, small web, etc. and the patience for warts that entails.

(speaking of lots of disappointed people, my instance is slow as poo poo due to tons of new activity.)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

not really sure about mainstream acceptance ever happening if it remains common for large,
general-audience instances to fediblock other large, general-audience instances for having, like, a cop as a user

ACAB, but people who barely understand the federation concept are not going to love logging in to a bunch of friends disappeared

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

1. sign up for mastodon.social, the biggest instance, because it's the default and, anyway, it's like email! you can talk with anyone! it's cool.

2. find out that mastodon.social is blocked by a bunch of instances because it is big and some of its users are jerks as a matter of probability.

3. start up your own solo instance so that this doesn't happen again. no gods no masters.

4. end up paying €600 per year to post: https://mastodon.ar.al/@aral/109308704512847392

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it genuinely confuses me why this is even a thing. lets all switch to the social network which is designed to make it practically impossible, as far as 99% of the users go, to kick people like trump and alex jones off it. because the thing we used last might unban those people?

certainly hoping twitter dies, but this is the lolbertarian decentralized option where every individual is going to use technology to make informed choices to create a good social situation.

upsides of course that it'll never go anywhere anyway.

eh, defederation might as well be a ban as it impacts most users.

mastodon pros:
- your instance's admins can totally cut off fascist instances. you don't have to do anything.

mastodon cons:
- your instance's admins can totally cut off any random instance due to stupid meta fighting bullshit. thousands of your following and followed accounts might disappear, and you have no indication that this is happening unless your admins communicate it loudly and you're paying attention to the right stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

probably true in the long run.

at the moment, a number of mid-sized instances are defederating from the largest instances due to legit beef/utter nonsense/bad vibes.

i like mastodon, but it's in a weird place right now. def not a twitter replacement, but a ton of people have flooded into it.