Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

What's it like being old grandpa?

people should wearing hearing protection tinnitus loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

:hmmyes:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Be honoured goons, you're posting with one of Taylor's top 0.1% listeners of the year :smug:

did you know that amy rose and shadow the hedgehog are big time swifties also

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

what

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*cupping ear* eh, sonny?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looper posted:

did you know that amy rose and shadow the hedgehog are big time swifties also

Amy's a CRJ fan and she's goddam right

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Apparently that building I thought I was circling in Immortality turned out to be the exit, because I was one scene away from triggering the credits. Which I unlocked by match-cutting the back of someone's head, because I was trying to target their rather unique hat.

I feel like it jumped the gun, though, because while I understood what that last line meant on a metatextual "this is what the game is about" level, it didn't make much sense with regards to the plot. Then after the credits I went back and kept playing, and not only did I find several new scenes, I found more backwards scenes within them. I even figured out a new way to unlock backwards scenes -- I'd noticed some scenes didn't play the "WATCH THIS BIT BACKWARDS" signal noise, but had the Others pulsing in and out if you watched it backwards, but if you froze or went frame-by-frame they weren't there, but I found the trick of playing back those pulses very slowly purely by accident; it was the scene where Marissa shoots Carl and I was legit just trying to figure out what was going on there, why she was cross-dressing in a crappy moustache, why she was playing another character, and why he got shot. And, as luck would have it, that was what I needed to actually understand the ending. So here's what I think I understand and what I still don't get:

The One -- who I was calling Slicked-Back-Hair Marissa -- and The Other One are immortals. They don't age and the only thing that can kill them for good is complete immolation. The One is obsessed with art; in it, she sees another way to live forever. The Other One is dismissive. I'm not entirely sure what their deal is physically; The One seems entirely tied to Marissa (who notably does not loving age over the 30 year timespan of the game), but The Other One body-hops freely from the guy playing Satan to Carl. My guess is that Marissa is an incarnation of The One, a body and identity she made to take part in art more directly, but Marissa doesn't seem to be aware of The One, or at least has her own internal life, because she's shocked and doesn't know what's happening in the Carl incident, so I might be wrong there. The immortals exist at, for lack of a better word, a different frequency than the mortals, but their actions influence what their hosts do, and at times they can directly take over, though what they do on their frequency is re-contextualized on the mortal end. This is seen the most clearly in the Carl incident, when their actual struggle over the gun mirrors the blocked, fake struggle over the gun that Marissa and Carl are acting out, and The One's intentional shooting of The Other One becomes an accidental discharge. I've also seen scenes of The One interacting with both John and the guy playing Ambrosio, but I have absolutely no idea what's going on there, and if the mortals are even aware those conversations are happening.

Marissa -- who is The One to a degree that, like I said, I am unsure of -- appears as an unknown actress and gets cast in Ambrosio, because The One wants to become art, and sees acting as the way to accomplish this. The Other One possesses the guy playing Satan to meet with The One and tells her that she's on the wrong path and wasting her time; she disagrees. The Two are clearly eternally drawn to each other. Nothing more comes of this disagreement (although you can see Marissa and Satan guy just staring at each other, totally motionless, during the wrap party, which makes me think the Two are having another talk there). Ambrosio is completed but never released, for reasons I still don't know.

Marissa's next movie is Minsky, directed by John, the guy who was the DP on Ambrosio, and who she's dating/sleeping with (which possibly started during Ambrosio, it's unclear.) They cast an unknown actor, Carl, as the lead. Marissa is drawn to Carl and decides to seduce him, which John doesn't mind/may be in on (Carl claims to be straight, but there's a scene of Carl and John kissing). The reason for her attraction is that Carl is possessed by/is The Other One, who The One is being drawn to again. I'm not sure what The Other One is doing by participating (there's another pulse scene I remember of the two of them that I need to go back to). Marissa seduces Carl but later sours on him, probably influenced by whatever's going on with The Two. Eventually, The Other One decides that enough's enough, and he's gonna shoot John. The One wrestles the gun away from him, and The Other One demands that she choose between the mortals and him, defying her to shoot. She chooses herself (and her art), and kills him. In the wake of Carl's tragic and fatal accident, production on Minsky is halted. Marissa has Carl cremated. The One believes that The Other One is truly dead (as they cannot come back from complete immolation). Marissa withdraws entirely from public life and acting, for reasons I'm unsure of. (Marissa not wishing to act after killing someone is understandable, but The One specifically pushed her chips onto the "I'm staying an actress" side with that gunshot, so her immediately doing a fade doesn't really track with me.)

20-odd years pass. Marissa fades into obscurity. John becomes a quite famous director. The Other One stays dead. Then, at some undetermined point in the interim, and for completely undetermined reasons (how'd she get the film in the first place? Why was she watching it?), Amy, John's new favorite actress, watches the footage of Carl's death, and in so doing, discovers something completely new. The Other One is reborn within Amy. If they're completely dead, the immortals can come back if someone watches the moment they die.

I have no idea if it's before or after she watches the footage and becomes The Other One, Amy is starring in a movie for John about a famous woman who discovers someone who looks exactly like her. Then, in a sequence of events I completely don't understand, Marissa reappears, wishing to take up acting again for some reason (was she drawn by the reappearance of The Other One?), nobody notices she hasn't aged for some reason, and she completely takes over the movie, gaining the lead double role and having Amy shunted off to playing the villain, for some reason.

The new movie is titled Two of Everything, and it's the most narratively resonant of the movies. Everything in this game comes in pairs; the Two themselves, each immortal and their host, the various romantic pairings. The movie's themes of identity, double identity, who you really are and who you're percieved as, the death of one of those identities and what it'd do to the other, are all completely on the nose.

This shoot is also when things get seriously weird. There's a clip I've favorited and gone over a dozen times because it's just so odd, where after the scene is done, the camera pans to reveal that John has passed out, and Marissa's reaction is to calmly walk over to him and lie down too, their heads and hands nearly touching. Marissa is getting nosebleeds. Later on, John disappears for no apparent reason. Finally, blood gushes from Marissa's head and nose, and she keels over, apparently dead. Amy cradles her, and in their own frequency, The One and The Other One have a conversation which I think is their first since his rebirth? I'm not entirely clear if Marissa's body has simply given out through overuse or something or if this is deliberate suicide by The One, but this is a death she wants. She wants to follow the path that The Other One discovered.

On an empty set, Amy douses a mannequin wearing a Marissa wig in gasoline and tosses a match, completely immolating it. (Is this symbolic? Was a mannequin in a wig all Marissa ever "really" was? Was I supposed to not notice that was a mannequin?) The One is freed and the path has worked -- she can see her viewers. She weeps with joy. Everyone who played this game now has her inside their heads. She's got so very many people to be a part of now. (The metaphor -- that all fictional characters are parasitic beings, unable to die, not truly alive but granted life from the mortals they touch, how learning their stories makes them a part of us forever, that they'll always be inside of us and may even influence our behavior, is obvious but has been very cleverly delivered.)

So, if anyone wants to point me in the direction of anything I missed or just flat out tell me, or share what they think was going on, I'm all ears. I'm probably going to poke around the footage at least once more, but I feel like I'm closer to the point where I may just turn to a guide or youtube to catch anything I mised.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Basically missed everything to do with the black and white scenes.
And, um... what? What black and white scenes? How do you trigger those?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 30, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ChickenHeart posted:

Keep an eye out for Duke Deathstrike

he's got balls of plasteel

RBA Starblade posted:

I play as a Zealot who is the Emperor's favorite special boy. His name's Jeff. He looks like Dr. Wily.

Emprah' bless ye both. Goonspeed. :hai:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wtf

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Schedule a colonoscopy

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Extremely. I miss the days of carrying around 256 CDs inside of a giant binder in the passenger side footwell of my car.

One of my employees was born in 2001 and I tried to explain this to her and she looked at me like I was insane. The concept of everyone bringing their own bootleg CD binder to parties was so alien to her.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I spent at least half of my senior year of high school hanging out with a buddy downloading songs off limewire to make the perfect driving mix for his Honda Civic. It was a great time.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What about the diamonds

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mine was Vampire Joyful Healing for the mornings

I do not know

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Propaganda Hour posted:

One of my employees was born in 2001 and I tried to explain this to her and she looked at me like I was insane. The concept of everyone bringing their own bootleg CD binder to parties was so alien to her.

:negative:

External Organs posted:

I spent at least half of my senior year of high school hanging out with a buddy downloading songs off limewire to make the perfect driving mix for his Honda Civic. It was a great time.

Extremely powerful nostalgia

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Propaganda Hour posted:

If you really want to gently caress up a Zoomer, explain LAN parties to them. Complete with lugging your desktop tower and 25 pound monitor to the physical location.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

If you really want to gently caress up a Zoomer, explain LAN parties to them. Complete with lugging your desktop tower and 25 pound monitor to the physical location.

If you really want to gently caress then up tell them about Mac only lan parties.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Fucker, you got me. I spent a full minute trying to find this in Spotify :lmao:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

CapnAndy posted:

my 10 year old nephew went to what was called a LAN party not too long ago.

No idea what they do at them nowadays. I suppose it's just playing the same poo poo they play anyway, but next to eachother?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It used to be on there

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This goon gets it

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

It used to be on there

I’m Canadian, that could be it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I used to listen to both the ace combat and Tekken soundtracks, it looks like Namco took most of their stuff off US streaming

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

They're available in Europe at the moment, but it's all for nothing since they have the Soul Blade but not the Soul Edge soundtrack up

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Where the hell did this come from, it looks so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbLyMN3l4cQ

Modern 1080 Snowboarding? Yes please.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TR:U

I finished the Southern Mexico level which means I think I'm on to the last mission. It's still really satisfying realising that you're meant to go somewhere and figuring out the path to get there. There were some bitchy moments in the Midgard Serpent room where things got a little too unobvious but on the whole I feel like I'm being guided towards a path without being led there by the hand. It's really nice.

I also really dig how this game is themed around different mythological interpretations of death and the afterlife. It adds a cool textual framing that other Tomb Raiders haven't had.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

They're adding Messi and two other Soccer Men to Call of Duty???

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Yuuus

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Lol at the Pontiac G6 being the “sweet car”

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Mario is supposed to be a plumber, but we never really see him plumb, like, using a wrench to stop a leak or using a Roto-Router or something

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/furnacewoods/status/1597744922945540097?t=zJRpIUmIhMhi8uDpjcUKfg&s=19

lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

galenanorth posted:

Mario is supposed to be a plumber, but we never really see him plumb, like, using a wrench to stop a leak or using a Roto-Router or something

Counterpoint, he's not wearing a tie

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wish it was still on steam. Instead it's just yet another ghost item on my steam wishlist.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Midway AND Ubisoft??

Now this is a certified B game!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

really wish i didn't get a loving heart attack putting a new PC together. i was sweating like i just finished running a goddamn marathon by the end of it, even though i'm well aware by this point that they're building these parts with enough fault tolerance so that clumsy toddlers like me can fit them together

still waiting for a cooler tomorrow since the one i ordered last week is MIA but i should be all set to play callisto protocol by friday. feels good man

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vermain posted:

really wish i didn't get a loving heart attack putting a new PC together. i was sweating like i just finished running a goddamn marathon by the end of it, even though i'm well aware by this point that they're building these parts with enough fault tolerance so that clumsy toddlers like me can fit them together

still waiting for a cooler tomorrow since the one i ordered last week is MIA but i should be all set to play callisto protocol by friday. feels good man

people oversell how easy building a pc is. virtually anyone can do it, but especially the first time there will be nerve-wracking steps where you're not 100% if you're doing it right or if you just cost yourself a couple hundred dollars (likely you didn't, but stil).

what cpu/gpu did you end up with?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Inserting the cpu is always a stressful experience. It just feels like your breaking something idk.

Other than that it's real easy nowadays. Then again I've been putting PCs together for like 20 years at this point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bone emulator posted:

Inserting the cpu is always a stressful experience. It just feels like your breaking something idk.

Other than that it's real easy nowadays. Then again I've been putting PCs together for like 20 years at this point.

the tiny mobo connectors (like for the power switch) can be a PITA

i was also afraid of overtightening my cpu cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

people oversell how easy building a pc is. virtually anyone can do it, but especially the first time there will be nerve-wracking steps where you're not 100% if you're doing it right or if you just cost yourself a couple hundred dollars (likely you didn't, but stil).

what cpu/gpu did you end up with?

I5-12400F and an RTX 3060 ti. budget as hell, but i don't tend to play a ton of newer games, and i'm not playing on a godly enough monitor to notice much of a difference if i have to crank things down to 1600x900

bone emulator posted:

the CPU insertion was actually the easiest part for me, since the I5's design only has two small notches and a handy indicator for which corner should be facing where

what i'm truly thankful for is that this new cooler only require brackets and screws to adapt it; my previous build used some kind of ungodly tension hook that you had to force the cooler down onto the mobo to attach