Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vermain posted:

I5-12400F and an RTX 3060 ti. budget as hell, but i don't tend to play a ton of newer games, and i'm not playing on a godly enough monitor to notice much of a difference if i have to crank things down to 1600x900

i built something similar, but it wasn't that budget at the time :smithfrog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

i built something similar, but it wasn't that budget at the time :smithfrog:

i'm a notorious cheapskate when it comes to computers despite spending something like 80% of my waking hours on it

this upgrade's only coming because my current one is about to hit 6 years old with what's probably 9 year old hardware in it, and even my stiff upper lip when it comes to compromising graphical quality can only push so far. i managed to barely get elden ring to run acceptably through a huge amount of technical wizardry, and i was even willing to play control on a truly cursed set of options (minimum in like 800x600 or something), but i'm too close to the same point i was however many decades ago where i tried to play doom 3 on a loving voodoo 3 card and discovered, much to my chagrin, that even i have my limits

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i can still remember the exact point where i discovered that gaming needs money: playing dark age of camelot on a computer with whatever the minimum amount of RAM you could have in the early 2000s, dying in a dungeon, and sitting there for 5 full rear end minutes before it could respawn me outside

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vermain posted:

(minimum in like 800x600 or something)

:stonk:

Vermain, no

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the most horrifying thing is that i still dropped below 30 FPS in some of the more combat-heavy sections

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the 3060 ti is a pretty capable card. most modern games (so far for me) run well above 60 at 1440p, and even higher with dlss.

it's not great at ray tracing, but good enough to give you a taste of the future. and i appreciate being able to experience cyberpunk that way, even if the fps falls closer to 30 (i just don't have it on all the time).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Did you remember to put the thermal paste on the right side?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PSLifeStyle/status/1597953633446133769?t=N9cnT0nzIrjVpk17QOQmAw&s=19

This combined with Yoshida giving a real foot in mouth response to being asked about the presence of minority characters in the game (he gave the lovely boilerplate "we're being historically accurate" nonsense) I'm kinda getting less excited about this one.

E: Even without that extra context, this is really coming off as edgy tryhard "Look I can be Game of Thrones too" nonsense

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 1, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Infinitum posted:

Did you remember to put the thermal paste on the right side?

Thermal paste application is still the only part that gives me anxiety.

Anyway I have been living the ITX life for a decade, I am probably going to Go Big with my next one... ATX... What about FullATX

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thermal paste application is still the only part that gives me anxiety.

Anyway I have been living the ITX life for a decade, I am probably going to Go Big with my next one... ATX... What about FullATX

Rack mount that poo poo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What cooling system is best for computers?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/PSLifeStyle/status/1597953633446133769?t=N9cnT0nzIrjVpk17QOQmAw&s=19

This combined with Yoshida giving a real foot in mouth response to being asked about the presence of minority characters in the game (he gave the lovely boilerplate "we're being historically accurate" nonsense) I'm kinda getting less excited about this one.

E: Even without that extra context, this is really coming off as edgy tryhard "Look I can be Game of Thrones too" nonsense

Eh lets wait until it comes out and how it handles its content, 14 grew out of its GoT phase pretty well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Submerging it all in mineral oil

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Eh lets wait until it comes out and how it handles its content, 14 grew out of its GoT phase pretty well

Yeah, I'm not like throwing it in the trash outright but it does have me slightly worried it's going to be overbearingly dour.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

FirstAidKite posted:

What cooling system is best for computers?

Keeping it turned off

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Open a window

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I cool my pc by living at McMurdo Station

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I wouldn't judge a game by what a ratings board says are the worst things in it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I cool my pc by living at McMurdo Station

I bet you could do some pretty sick gaming there.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://twitter.com/MikeWinterbauer/status/1598085385279909889

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA

Gotta post the song with it

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

This is still the most mindblowing poo poo on the planet to me. Imagine being a child in the 80s, you turn on your NES on your little CRT TV, then it just starts blasting a loving Yes song after a tiny little ditty. Insanity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwh3erQlyE

Tim, my God, it's just Pictionary!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven’t built anything even resembling a PC in forever but I just want to say gently caress molex connectors

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

man I am really not digging the permanent blood splatter effect with the first person view. I think there's a very good reason only games with regenerating health do that poo poo. Because it's really annoying to have poo poo on the camera all the time!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sound
https://i.imgur.com/udxCIGT.mp4

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my god..... it's almost as big as an x box

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Half the size of the Duke Controller

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I wonder if society will ever advance to the point that people can admit that the Duke was a good controller.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like that it had six face buttons but dislike that they were the worst buttons in the world

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gripweed posted:

I wonder if society will ever advance to the point that people can admit that the Duke was a good controller.

I don't like it but it had personality which I like, I miss controllers with personality

Sony bring back the boomerang cowards

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think Ethan and Mia are the best portrayal of a married couple in video games

Edit: oh i hit reply on a tab that hadn't been refreshed since this morning... oh well my statement does not require context

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

After my October sojurn through various Castlevania titles (have polished off Aria of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin), I have decided to give my old man arthritic hands a break from action games and am indulging in one of my guilty pleasures from my youth: SRPGs, a genre that I was always horrifically bad at on the DS but love anyway.

Currently on Triangle Strategy around chapter 6 or so and man, gently caress you Aesfrost, you and your creepy twins Prime Ministers and your shithead Game of Thrones Archduke

As someone who has never been particularly good at these going back to FFTA2 and the Disgaea 1 DS port, what is some basic tactical advice to serve an SRPG player who can barely manage fuckin' Chess?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like when Ethan picks up a handgun so he could shoot his wife and he say “alright, fine” like she asked him to take out the trash when the big game is on

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I completed all 3 "How To Bathe Your Cat" games on steam. They're these 3 games that each control differently but have the same puzzle premise: destroy and move terrain to get the water to travel to the cat.

Anyway, the first 2 don't even have an ending screen, it just does the fade-out-to-next-level thing before fading back in on the final level. The 3rd game actually has an ending screen though. Thought it would be worth sharing it in the final 5 minutes of the November Thanksgaming Cat Thread [56kite no]

Blue Labrador posted:

This is still the most mindblowing poo poo on the planet to me. Imagine being a child in the 80s, you turn on your NES on your little CRT TV, then it just starts blasting a loving Yes song after a tiny little ditty. Insanity.

The other thing to remember is that the little ditty isn't even for the title screen, it's for the opening logo stuff. You've got the little ditty over the intro logos and then the title screen pops up and that's when it goes full prog.

Though now I'm wondering which is the intended way to hear it, NTSC or PAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnHoPn1Vic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNAASRASh_M

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

drat. This game has drug use so its probably gonna get banned in Australia.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought if it was fake drugs it was ok, that's why fallout changed morphine to Med-X

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
isn't australia why you sometimes see games with alcohol items which only have negative effects because they don't want to be accused of promoting drinking

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

isn't australia why you sometimes see games with alcohol items which only have negative effects because they don't want to be accused of promoting drinking

Nah. We ban games that incentivise drug use, which is likely what you're thinking of

We ban a lot of 'normal' games for a lot of dumb reasons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games_in_Australia

Left 4 Dead is likely the most famous ban, and I remember having to get gifted Hotline Miami on Steam so get around the ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I told people not to get excited about YoshiP being at the helm of this game. His previous work is the MMORPG, the standards are rock loving bottom there, it's not hard to make a good MMO.