Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

All those are bad but the more memorably bad drivers than all of them was in msp. Msp was the only place i was ever almost got tboned in an intersection with a 2 way stop because the drivers would just routinely run a stop sign at 45+ in a 30 in the housing areas of downtown. Boston nyc and atlanta were all dreams compared to dc. San fran wasnt bad just congested. Toronto and ottawa were super easy to drive in even with shittons of constructions. Miama wasnt bad just congested.

Texas, the entire state, is the absolute worst though but especially in dallas and houston. They just have no loving idea what theyre doing. 35 on an interstate with open roads ahead of them crossing 4 lanes to get in the fast lane to maintain 35 in a 70. Maybe theyll speed up to 55, maybe theyll stay at 35. Accelerating down the exit lane to skid to a stop. Merging into an incoming lane that was going away just to keep people from being able to merge onto the highways. And people would get loving psycho at turns because of all that stupid uturn lane bullshit with their access roads where if you dont pick the right exit you cant just take a back road back onto the highway so you have people reverse back up an exit lane at 30 with traffic coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

MA-Horus posted:

There are two seasons for driving in Toronto; winter and construction. And often the two overlap.

Driving in this stupid city has gotten progressively worse every single loving year

When visiting my wife's family there I'm impressed by how far the congestion is spread in the GTA and for how much of the day. But I still don't feel like I'm going to die of anything other than frustration (they're in Brampton).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Arson Daily posted:

Plus Adams state has the best college radio station I've ever heard

Yeah, it's a surprisingly good station, assuming it's the local NPR one. They run news in the morning and rotate the hell out of their music catalog until the mid afternoon, then back to music in the evening. It's the only good station in the valley.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I found Colorado Springs to be worse to drive in that DC.

Springs sucks, but because of how the town is laid out. There's basically 3 city centers, and the roads are always hosed somehow. I didn't have much trouble once I learned the smaller roads. And it was mostly walkable. It's laid out in a piss poor fashion but there are far worse cities.

Now I-25 Springs to Denver, that's madness. The road rage on that stretch is insane. The road itself isn't bad, especially after the expansion, but people out there are loving lunatics. But I sat in miles long jams on I-25 before the widening, it did suck being a few miles short of the Greenland exit only to see the wreck is miles further ahead.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, it's a surprisingly good station, assuming it's the local NPR one. They run news in the morning and rotate the hell out of their music catalog until the mid afternoon, then back to music in the evening. It's the only good station in the valley.

Springs sucks, but because of how the town is laid out. There's basically 3 city centers, and the roads are always hosed somehow. I didn't have much trouble once I learned the smaller roads. And it was mostly walkable. It's laid out in a piss poor fashion but there are far worse cities.

Now I-25 Springs to Denver, that's madness. The road rage on that stretch is insane. The road itself isn't bad, especially after the expansion, but people out there are loving lunatics. But I sat in miles long jams on I-25 before the widening, it did suck being a few miles short of the Greenland exit only to see the wreck is miles further ahead.

I just figured the DoD assigns all it's poo poo drivers there.
I loved driving 25. poo poo was like mad max

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Dum Cumpster posted:

When visiting my wife's family there I'm impressed by how far the congestion is spread in the GTA and for how much of the day. But I still don't feel like I'm going to die of anything other than frustration (they're in Brampton).

Just Brampton?

My wife is from ‘saga and has family on both the east and west sides. I hate GTA traffic with a burning passion. But I’m excited by Go Trains and TTC.

But gently caress the 401 and QEW and every other cross town highway.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Stravag posted:

All those are bad but the more memorably bad drivers than all of them was in msp. Msp was the only place i was ever almost got tboned in an intersection with a 2 way stop because the drivers would just routinely run a stop sign at 45+ in a 30 in the housing areas of downtown.
This is basically how my car got totaled 100ft from my apartment in St. Paul. Driver in an SUV with kids in the back was bypassing the parallel arterial. Luckily they were slowing down a bit when they rolled through the stop sign.

Now I've been car-free for over three years :toot:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Stravag posted:

All those are bad but the more memorably bad drivers than all of them was in msp. Msp was the only place i was ever almost got tboned in an intersection with a 2 way stop because the drivers would just routinely run a stop sign at 45+ in a 30 in the housing areas of downtown. Boston nyc and atlanta were all dreams compared to dc. San fran wasnt bad just congested. Toronto and ottawa were super easy to drive in even with shittons of constructions. Miama wasnt bad just congested.

Texas, the entire state, is the absolute worst though but especially in dallas and houston. They just have no loving idea what theyre doing. 35 on an interstate with open roads ahead of them crossing 4 lanes to get in the fast lane to maintain 35 in a 70. Maybe theyll speed up to 55, maybe theyll stay at 35. Accelerating down the exit lane to skid to a stop. Merging into an incoming lane that was going away just to keep people from being able to merge onto the highways. And people would get loving psycho at turns because of all that stupid uturn lane bullshit with their access roads where if you dont pick the right exit you cant just take a back road back onto the highway so you have people reverse back up an exit lane at 30 with traffic coming.

Texas is home to some rather... unique drivers...

Going 75+ on a road with traffic lights? No problems. On ramp with a yield sign? Come to a complete stop and then take your time accelerating. Half the drivers are afraid of the speed limit, the other half ignores it, along with all road signs and traffic signals. 4 way stop sign? Half try to go whenever they feel like it, the other half will wait forever until they receive a postcard from another driver allowing them to continue.

I want to blame the drivers, but I suspect it has more to do with the odd road construction and poor markings/signage confusing normal people. It just happens that the normal drivers get sorted into hyper aggressive and super passive categories due to the driving conditions.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Just looking at this trailer, it's very obvious that the casting director knows exactly what they're doing.

https://twitter.com/cocainebear/status/1598013839202693120

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I recently went back to Austin and was reacquainted with frontage roads and how literally anyone can off-road onto them in front of state troopers when the I35 comes to a standstill.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Nystral posted:

Just Brampton?

My wife is from ‘saga and has family on both the east and west sides. I hate GTA traffic with a burning passion. But I’m excited by Go Trains and TTC.

But gently caress the 401 and QEW and every other cross town highway.

They're all over the west side of the city and it's all not fun but driving seems particularly bad the closer to her parents' we get. Could certainly be a miles traveled thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Wasn’t he a GOP operative who shot at someone else or at least pulled a gun in another road rage instance?

Yup. This was not his first time loving around, but it was his last time finding out.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

not caring here posted:

I used to drive between West Palm Beach and Miami on a motorcycle on i95 sometimes, and holy poo poo it was riding shiny and chrome.

You had the choices of mixing it up with some wild drivers and especially exciting truck drivers doing 70, or do 90+ and just keep an eye out in your rear view for the odd maserati or porsche doing 100+. Either which pray that there's not an accident or lane closure because there's gonna be a lot of locked up brakes.

It was a legit adventure.

This tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiN_GdiicCE

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

I recently went back to Austin and was reacquainted with frontage roads and how literally anyone can off-road onto them in front of state troopers when the I35 comes to a standstill.

That poo poo is wild and you can see the parts where traffic usually begins to slow and everyone starts off-roading. Occasionally after a rain someone who does *not* have a vehicle made for off-roading gets stuck.

Edit: And as someone not originally from TX, holy poo poo people the on ramp is that time you need to start speeding up to properly merge on to the highway!!! And the off ramp is to begin decelerating!!!!!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Just looking at this trailer, it's very obvious that the casting director knows exactly what they're doing.

https://twitter.com/cocainebear/status/1598013839202693120

lmao this looks loving great.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I haven't had the highway be a regular part of my life in nearly a decade now, I almost exclusively use backroads to get places if I'm driving. Exceptions being if I'm going far enough that I-5 is my only straightforward way to get where I'm going, like to Portland or Vancouver.

Highway traffic pissed me off and stressed me out when I was commuting every day when I lived in FL, removing that from my daily life definitely contributes to a much higher quality life.

Walking and using the light rail is my preferred method of transportation, going to try to start incorporating my bike more into getting places too.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Not to break up traffic chat (I really do love that other people hate roads as much as I do), but Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac is dead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63812952

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's a shame but she made it to 79.

Nothing is gonna top Betty White blueballsing everyone last new years eve for a while.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

bulletsponge13 posted:

Misanthropic Drunken Loser by DaysNDaze https://youtu.be/iRF1vHd4xl8

banger

for content, here's a thread on a a cool new telematic provider for all your automotive needs.

https://twitter.com/samwcyo/status/1597792097175674880

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 30, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Fuuuuck that.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A Sovcit in NZ has made history.

No, they didn't get the law to listen to them.

They got New Zealand's first ever sabotage conviction and just for good measure, entering agricultural land with intent to commit an imprisonable offence

quote:

Philip also faces a separate Covid-19 infringement charge of $300, which he has opted to defend in a judge-alone trial set for 19 December this year, where he said he will cite the Magna Carta and "the wisdom of Charles II" as his key defence arguments.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Got a streaming link?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

They dont stream! Its wild, the only way to listen is on the radio and only if you're in Alamosa too, really. I've been at the airport there which is only a couple miles from the college and reception was pretty bad

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's not the NPR affiliate, I was getting them mixed up. 88.7 KRZA is the public radio station, 90.9 "the grizz" is the university. The local public station is also very good, though. Lots of world and classical music, a fair deal of spanish and mexican music too. I like them both.

I don't think they stream because they don't have a callsign, and reception is poo poo because of that, too, because they aren't licensed for large transmitters.

Considering the rest of the selection in the valley is lovely radio country, classic rock, and christian stations, I'm glad I have two decent choices in town. One when I go puttering outside of town.

E: apparently they do have a callsign, it's KASF.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 1, 2022

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

BadOptics posted:

Edit: And as someone not originally from TX, holy poo poo people the on ramp is that time you need to start speeding up to properly merge on to the highway!!! And the off ramp is to begin decelerating!!!!!
I think this is a high school driver's ed thing. In CA, I was taught that on ramps were the one place where you were heavily encouraged to mash the throttle so that you could merge with the speed of traffic & not gently caress up everyone's day. CA doesn't seem to have that issue unlike the eastern seaboard states which I've been in, where people will just stop and I guess somehow hope to merge into congested traffic that's always going 60+. Blew my mind when I first encountered it in Baltimore, and since I was driving my V8 I went around him on the shoulder & floored it so that I could merge without dying from a crash or of old age from waiting.
I'm guessing the reason why that type of driving isn't apparently taught here in the DMV area, is because most of the interchanges are horrible cloverleaf ones. They're a marvel of engineering in how terrible they are. If you have a shitbox, good luck trying to get to 60+ in like 100 ft.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I think this is a high school driver's ed thing. In CA, I was taught that on ramps were the one place where you were heavily encouraged to mash the throttle so that you could merge with the speed of traffic & not gently caress up everyone's day. CA doesn't seem to have that issue unlike the eastern seaboard states which I've been in, where people will just stop and I guess somehow hope to merge into congested traffic that's always going 60+. Blew my mind when I first encountered it in Baltimore, and since I was driving my V8 I went around him on the shoulder & floored it so that I could merge without dying from a crash or of old age from waiting.
I'm guessing the reason why that type of driving isn't apparently taught here in the DMV area, is because most of the interchanges are horrible cloverleaf ones. They're a marvel of engineering in how terrible they are. If you have a shitbox, good luck trying to get to 60+ in like 100 ft.

I took HS driver's ed in NC, so maybe if there's a reason like you mentioned making it hard that's the case but even in the east you're still taught *if possible* to begin speeding up/slowing down on the appropriate ramp.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
WEAVE LANES BABEE

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The first time I actually drove was across the border of Iraq.

Imagine having a kid with no license, no driver's Ed, out of OSUT for less than two months, driving you into combat.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
BREAD-BREAKING NEWS

https://twitter.com/JulesDrmnn/status/1597903851138551808?s=20&t=-TwtqmPUHi3aONqV1H_x2w

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bulletsponge13 posted:

Imagine having a kid with no license, no driver's Ed, out of OSUT for less than two months, driving you into combat.

I can't imagine anyone else crazy enough

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bulletsponge13 posted:

The first time I actually drove was across the border of Iraq.

My roommate in Korea didn't have a license, never really drove before the army. By the time he got out, he bought a car. It's not that uncommon. Probably more common than how/when I learned to drive.

The very first time I drove I was 12, on the roads around my grandparents farm. By 16, I was driving everything short of the harvester. Common thing for farm kids, but far from common for the average kid.

Still failed the driving test twice. Lol. I had bad habits by 16. But also don't take a driving test on snow packed icy roads. I should have just rescheduled.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My roommate in Korea didn't have a license, never really drove before the army. By the time he got out, he bought a car. It's not that uncommon. Probably more common than how/when I learned to drive.

The very first time I drove I was 12, on the roads around my grandparents farm. By 16, I was driving everything short of the harvester. Common thing for farm kids, but far from common for the average kid.

Still failed the driving test twice. Lol. I had bad habits by 16. But also don't take a driving test on snow packed icy roads. I should have just rescheduled.

I jumped a curb and spun the tires the first time I took the test at 21. Still passed.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ASAPI posted:

Not to break up traffic chat (I really do love that other people hate roads as much as I do), but Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac is dead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63812952

We also lost one of the consummate sidekicks today, Clarence Gilyard Jr, Aka Matlock's Conrad, Walker's Trevette, Hans' Theo and Maverick's Sundown.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Crab Dad posted:

I jumped a curb and spun the tires the first time I took the test at 21. Still passed.

Our county had two drivers testing administrators. Both were hard asses. I got gigged for not coming to a complete stop at railway tracks without crossing guards on one attempt. Another I drove on winter wonderland conditions, was instructed to make a 3 point turn, a kid walking by slipped on an ice patch on the sidewalk. Admin said I "rushed" the kid, as I sat in the street with my signal on waiting to turn into the alley. The kind of people who would fail you for spilling their coffee in the cupholder. Almost no one got their license on the first try there.

Third time I went to the county north. Drove around the block, parallel parked, passed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Wasn’t he a GOP operative who shot at someone else or at least pulled a gun in another road rage instance?

literally at the same intersection

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Notahippie posted:

Roz from Well There's Your Problem had a good take on Twitter - aside from the general gently caress the bosses standpoint, the issue about overruling a strike is that nobody wants to take the job because the conditions are so poo poo, and if they don't fix how poo poo the conditions are then there's not going to be anybody to replace the rail workers who are aging out and retiring. He gives the railways about 5 years to unfuck the situation and build a pipeline of new trainees before it collapses.

I am very curious to see if there's wildcat strikes if this passes. It seems like the membership of the unions is pretty pissed off, and if people are getting close to quitting anyway then the threat of being fired might not be much of a deterrence.

It takes a ton of time to train rail workers, and the job kills people who don't know it inside and out.

Trying to get scabs if the union wildcat strikes is going to be drat near impossible, which is why the rail companies are leaning on Congress.

Frankly I want to see real chaos: let the Teamsters declare solidarity and refuse to drop or pick up freight from the rail yards until the strike's resolved.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I haven't looked at the unions but I am assuming they are TTD and would pull in those unions as well which would be an absolute nightmare, especially over Christmas.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here in my town a guy who had a history of violent road rage pulled a gun on a driver in a prius after ramming them in an intersection. Prius driver was armed, as well, and used lethal force on the jackass.

It was also one of the best Chapo bits ever

https://youtu.be/L2eq-rpAUIw

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

shame on an IGA posted:

It was also one of the best Chapo bits ever

https://youtu.be/L2eq-rpAUIw

FYI - this was on the rich white side of town. And the prius driver has never been charged and never will. Their name has never even been released and won't thanks to FL's stand your ground and marsy's laws.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 1, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

WaPo has a really interesting and lengthy article about the breadth of Iran's recent plots to kill or kidnap dissidents, foreign officials, and other individuals around the world. I'm not going to copy and paste it because it's pretty long, but worth a read if you have a subscription or something to skirt the paywall:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/12/01/iran-kidnapping-assassination-plots/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Our county had two drivers testing administrators. Both were hard asses. I got gigged for not coming to a complete stop at railway tracks without crossing guards on one attempt.

Were you driving a bus or a fuel truck? I’ve never seen anyone or heard of coming to a complete stop at railroad tracks otherwise.