Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dijkstracula posted:

i chosted again and the site immediately slowed to a crawl, sorry yall

been enjoying the sat series, kind of impressed how compact you got it. inspiring to get back into that research track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

been enjoying the sat series, kind of impressed how compact you got it. inspiring to get back into that research track.
aw ty :shobon:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

The "post now" button appears to be nonresponsive :ohdear:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Breaking The Rules With An Awesome Post! :arghfist:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
did you post something with javascript or some other poo poo (esp comments) because cloudflare or whatever will respond with that

the lack of user feedback on errors like that is a big problem

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

oh interesting, no, but it had python code that cloudflare's set of mutually-recursive regexes concluded was JS?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cloudflare, lol

problem with what u posted: "idk man"
origin errors: ITS DEFINITELY THE WEBSITE WE'RE WORKING GREAT LOOK HERE'S A FLOWCHART, ITS THEIR FAULT

i hate their 503 page so loving much

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

this wouldn't have happened if assc had gone with Fastly™ Next-Generation Web Application Firewall And API Protection® with SmartParse™ and NLX

also then my $FSLY might be marginally less in the shitter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
maybe, they would have to shut down the cron job running curl -X PURGE https://fastly.com/ceo first

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
i would not have expected the anti software software club to be willing to use cloudflare, from an ethical standpoint

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That was surprising to me, yes.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

maybe, they would have to shut down the cron job running curl -X PURGE https://fastly.com/ceo first

:drat:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

Breaking The Rules With An Awesome Post! :arghfist:

cloudflare has been breaking something awful for years now it’s time for cohost

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

more like clodflare

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

more like clodflare

I hear they are also “free speech absolutists“

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we regret to inform you

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

nrook posted:

i would not have expected the anti software software club to be willing to use cloudflare, from an ethical standpoint

yeah uh I already had some concerns about a software collective type thing that has a manifesto and an organizational structure like a long distance polycule, now I've got a raised eyebrow to go with it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean if you dont trust vogon and gang, you dont trust vogon and gang and that's that

if they really did run a decade long op of "being cool and good on twitter on the long play that it falls apart, we start a competitor and then get several hundreds of dollars", i can do nothing but respect their dedication to the craft

I just dont like to see anybody paying cloudfail. their poo poo sucks but there's no alternative for ddos protection for low budget sites

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

is it possible they were using cloudflare before it became widely known that it sucks? i dunno. they seem alright and i’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

jony neuemonic posted:

is it possible they were using cloudflare before it became widely known that it sucks? i dunno. they seem alright and i’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

considering that the daily stormer poo poo went down in 2017, no

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

holy poo poo it’s been that long? i was thinking it was like, last year.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah it was big poo poo at fsly when it all happened. i was one of the ppl that regularly kept up on nazi tech bubble drama and would call out "do not sign these customers up" in our questionable accounts channel

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

They've literally been working on moving off cloudflare for months ya'll chill out

no I'm not posting a link because their search still kinda sucks sorry you can go read through @staff's or vogon's posts about it

edit literally after giving up finding a post about it I found this one from last month where they say they're still working on it

https://cohost.org/staff/post/614602-cohost-patch-notes-v

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

jony neuemonic posted:

I mean at the end of the day people make compromises and ignore inconvenient facts, we all do it, it doesn’t make them the judases of computers or anything. I just thought better of them, and now, well, I don’t

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've always treated any new social media type thing as a "good for posting now, might not last more than a year or two" dealio anyways but imo it's just kind of jarring that the one founded by "big tech sucks" ideologues turns out to be one that voluntarily used the most nazi-friendly of the big tech CDNs

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I mean you can make assumptions or you can read the words they said about the matter:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

what that quote states is that the assc chose to use the nazi cdn because it was much more convenient than its competitors, but that now that the difference in convenience is somewhat less, they plan to move away from it

this is better than the stances held by some of their competitors, I guess, but it’s still not a posture likely to appear in “profiles in courage 2”

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

the real controversy here is that they and cloudflare are oppressing cohost poster dijkstracula's first amendment rights!!! :wow:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nrook posted:

what that quote states is that the assc chose to use the nazi cdn because it was much more convenient than its competitors, but that now that the difference in convenience is somewhat less, they plan to move away from it

this is better than the stances held by some of their competitors, I guess, but it’s still not a posture likely to appear in “profiles in courage 2”

i just pulled several eye muscles

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Jonny 290 posted:

i just pulled several eye muscles

the cohost defender has logged in (again, after getting logged out for the third time today)

jk luv u

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every single one of u is using """ the nazi cdn """ right now and i dont see a single one of you posting a banme

matter of fact, its possible to use cohost for free but its guaranteed that every single person in this thread has voluntarily given money to a company using the nazi cdn. COMPLICIT.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah the levels of and-yet-you-live-in-a-society in here are getting wild

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

really everyone should get on mastodon instead, where the free market of random people hosting the services however they want will surely drive the easiest and most popular option out of business.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

hailthefish posted:

yeah the levels of and-yet-you-live-in-a-society in here are getting wild

I know we're all cynical as hell but it does feel like some people are very thirsty to "actually, assc is bad" yes

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

I just found a major bug in my latest effortpost so it's probably good that eggbug put me in the leper's colony so I couldn't post it, thanks eggbug

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony neuemonic posted:

I know we're all cynical as hell but it does feel like some people are very thirsty to "actually, assc is bad" yes

actually rear end is good

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

update: still enjoying posting

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

following tags is a good idea. does tumblr have that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hash tags? yes even this forum has hash tags #wow #woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

yeah I realize hash tags exist, what I’m finding convenient is the ability to bookmark tags and then use that as a second feed to discover new people to follow

I suppose it’s also more useful on a small site like cohost, it’d be worthless on twitter or somewhere like that