Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i post poo poo posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

VSOKUL girl posted:

can you not see other peoples follows/followers? that was how i did account discovery on twitter

granted theres probably not many people in the niche areas im interested on cohost yet but it doesnt seem there's much any account discovery other than people direct linking their page and retweets from people you already follow

search and tags, mostly

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

akadajet posted:

I wonder if there is some dumb way to break css out of a post. Maybe using :has selectors or something?

you can't use actual style tags as far as i can tell, just what you can stuff into a style attribute on a different element

wouldn't surprise me if it was possible to do dumb poo poo using "position: fixed;" but i'm quietly hoping that abuse of style features doesn't eventually reach the point where it has to be removed

Silver Alicorn posted:

I wish I had any sort of content or anything interesting to post

i made a post entirely out of a misspelled word and a tilted |, just post whatever. who gives a poo poo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jonny 290 posted:

hell yeah

its chill isnt it

also bc theres no real push or alerts for Engagement i find myself checking it 2-3 times a day, doing my commenting and posting, and then going back to other things. 30000% healthier than dooming with my mouse wheel on twitter all day

its nice to have a site that isn't engagement-poisoned

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

VSOKUL girl posted:

on the other hand, does anything get to network effect size these days without someone doing "growth hacking" shenanigans

i mean, we're postin about it, so

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

we are post-posting now. you missed out

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:justpost:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
bugpulled

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you can make so much stupid poo poo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that's the kind of thing that got someone to flood my little server. good luck :smith:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i wouldn't have minded quite so much if they didn't constantly hammer my server so hard for a solid 3 hours that it basically prevented anything else from working. some people just love to kick over sandcastles, i guess

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Luigi Thirty posted:

i like cohost but my posting strategy of blasting bad jokes into the aether does not seem to fit it

otoh my effortposts on old computers do

personally i love seeing shitposts, they're nice to have when i don't feel like reading huge walls of text (most of the time)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i have only logged in twice ever. does it really log you out if you log in somewhere else? lol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you can (and should) turn on the "collapse long posts by default" option which turns any of those 10-plus shares into just three, which is still a ton of screen real estate but significantly less so

tumblr had a lot of the same problems

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
some of the built in cohost css sucks, like i genuinely hate that it formats inline monospace text with surrounding backticks, or how every paragraph tag in a blockquote has a quote added to it

both in a way that there's no easy way to get rid of them without having to work around those elements entirely in html

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
reminds me of mastodon's tombstones (filtered posts), where but it sounds like you can at least view poo poo

mastodon's first impelmeentation was just

Filtered

Filtered

Filtered

Filtered

Filtered

Filtered

with no clue as to why, what, or how to view them. literally useless

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mawarannahr posted:

it doesn’t seem like the platform works very well and the page wasn’t updated since 2021, when they said they were funded through 2021. what about 2022, and is there any word on how they actually make money? when will it be stable enough to use?

november 2022 finances update

as for stability, works on my machine

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hailthefish posted:

yeah timeline deduplication would be really nice because currently when all your friends on cohost really like a post it just becomes your whole timeline until it exits your social circle

there are userscripts to fix this (that i don't use) but yes, it's a fairly big problem. i just look at it, go do something useful with my time like eat a sandwich or turn my monitor on, and then look at it again.

seeing the same thing over and over sucks but i just come back a while later and there's something else. change the channel

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
did you post something with javascript or some other poo poo (esp comments) because cloudflare or whatever will respond with that

the lack of user feedback on errors like that is a big problem

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

that's the stuff

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
times on the site sure have been turbulent lately

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i just wish they would focus on actual useful features because it feels like nothing has improved and i'm left wondering what is actually happening

the fact that tumblr-style asks are going in before there's even any way to message a user normally feels bizarre, especially when the site still lacks any kind of built-in de-duplication. love to have my timeline be the same 5 posts being shared over and over again

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
discovery being poo poo is also a huge problem and i don't see any particular outlook on it being fixed. if you don't already have an audience of some kind, likely imported from twitter, you're dead in the water.

tags are the only way to find poo poo from people you don't follow, and they intentionally hide tags on shared content. if someone shares a post onto your timeline it will only include tags from the sharing person, not the original post, so most of the time that ends up being nothing. you don't get to see what tags were used, so you have no clue what tags to use.

and of course tag capitalization is normalized to the first use of that tag. #FUnnY mEmES

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
okay what's sdf

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the financial post has a few concerning things in it. the figures for expenses are largely meaningless

* "expenses" isn't reported as a monthly figure and can't be compared to anything
* cohost plus is double-counted, both as part of net income (the lump payment from a new subscriber) and as monthly recurring revenue, even for yearly subs

assuming their actual monthly expenses are about $45k per month, their recurring revenue is still about 30% of what it needs to be, and even this month's revenue ($31k) is still short of that too, eveven with the up-front subscriptions.

their plan seems to be to hold out until they can get another loan from daddy warbucks:

quote:

Looking forward
in the last update, we talked about a new round of funding. this is still in progress; we will have more to report here once it's completed, and to be totally clear, the hold-up is on our end, not our funder’s. the ball is in our court. fortunately, the revenue situation has changed enough that a lot of the Immediate Urgency has reduced, letting us be more considered about how much we're raising. (again, our goal is to minimize debt.)

one thing that strikes me as very odd are the dates they chose for their report: 6/15 could conceivably be after a mid-month paycheck while 7/11 would be before it, so if you assume cohost pays twice-monthly their figures show can most of a month while conveniently missing half of their major expenses. and given that their "expenses" are $26k versus the expected $45k, that might be what's happening.

subscriptions (2,531) x price ($5) ~= $14,000, which lines up with the "monthly recurring revenue". it isn't made clear how many of them are actually monthly subscriptions, and how many of them were $50-up-front, $4-a-month yearly subscriptions.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i sure hope they add volume controls

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i mean every browser has built-in volume controls if you use the native embed format, it's just that cohost doesn't because they want it to be fancy over functional

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
someone made a point-n-click doom adventure through e1m1

that said the financial post promised two weeks ago has yet to manifest as well, sounds like it's more than just sessions having bookkeeping issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Pile Of Garbage posted:

if you like waterfowl ive got some posts for you: https://cohost.org/garbo/tagged/HONK%20REPORT. my mum retired last year and moved down south to a big property and has managed to assemble a menagerie.

:honked: :honked: :honked: :honked: :honked: :honked: :honked: :honked: