Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

that chost got me to find this thread so here's my cohost page

https://cohost.org/hkr

following all of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

MrQueasy posted:

I think it needs a lot of work, but I hope they keep the “ugly beautiful” early web2.0 aesthetic.

I’m also forgiving them a lot for “just” using some common flavor of markdown for styling.
one thing of note is if you know some html and css you can make some weird rear end poo poo and do a lot of advanced formatting

check this tag for examples of what has been dubbed "css crimes"

https://cohost.org/rc/tagged/css%20crimes

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

they work through the queues faster these days compared to when they first publicly launched, but the sudden influx has probably pushed whatever system they use to activate to its limits

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

dreamwidth person just mad that cohost pays its devs instead of making them work for free as "volunteers"

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

staff posted an update about the queue for those of you waiting:

cohost staff posted:

Activation Queue Length

Up until our big sign-up surge last week, we had been able to clear out the entire activation queue (usually 100-300 people per day) each business day.

The activation queue currently sits at around 30k users. Astute readers will recall that this is only 8k less than the total number of users we had in our last financial update.

We will not be activating all 30k of you today; sorry. We plan to activate 1k at a time roughly every work hour so that we can keep an eye on site performance and the support backlog. We’re hoping to have everyone posting soon!

Also from that post, they take their work life balance seriously

cohost staff posted:

As a reminder, there are three full-time employees here; we do not currently have the staffing to be on-call 24/7 unless there is a time-sensitive crisis. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 6am-6pm PST (jae’s the only one awake for those first few hours). We also take off holidays — one of these is coming up this Friday, which is Veteran’s Day, a US federal holiday. If you email us on a weekend, we won’t see it until Monday at the earliest!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

web dev is hard when you have 100k + users and a 3-4 person team who work normal hours only

luckily the staff endorse userscripts to fill in some of the shortcomings with the site

install grease/tamper monkey or whatever and browse this post

https://cohost.org/kiophen/post/466503-cohost-userscripts

maybe some will become features one day

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

I’m looking into this because Jonny Numbers recommended it. the op says it’s cool and run by cool people. I can’t find out much about who they are and why they’re cool. what’s it about?

staff are @vogon @jkap @aidan, they formed the anti software software club

you can read their manifesto here

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

They've literally been working on moving off cloudflare for months ya'll chill out

no I'm not posting a link because their search still kinda sucks sorry you can go read through @staff's or vogon's posts about it

edit literally after giving up finding a post about it I found this one from last month where they say they're still working on it

https://cohost.org/staff/post/614602-cohost-patch-notes-v

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I mean you can make assumptions or you can read the words they said about the matter:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

nrook posted:

they started moving off of cloudflare so everyone can stop being mad at me now

they’re actually done with it and it turns out they haven’t paid cloudflare for the services they were using for almost a year (there’s a post about it somewhere from one of the staff)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

who knew standing up for your principles would cost money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

fwiw while things look grim they still have funding, so it's not going anywhere soon. If you'd like the site to continue cohost premium is a thing, and so is their store.