Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm Fish Salad
Dec 16, 2016

You Compleat Me
Is this allowed? I hope so.

//
I love these terrible creatures like my own horrifying Lovecraftian children. Ulamog is probably my favorite, but all three are incredible cards when played properly, Emrakul so much so that I don't bring her out against my friends anymore.

/
I'm perfectly fine hitting them with this broken poo poo, however. There's nothing more satisfying that sitting across from an army of creatures with your one Angel or Emperion and knowing your opponent can't do anything to you. Attach one of these equips to them (or the Eldrazi Titans, or Kenrith) for more fun!
///

This magnificent son of a bitch has won me more games than I can count. I can't help but think of him as a resurrected Viserys Targaryen after watching House of the Dragon.

My signature board wipe. Often used in combination with Kenrith, leaving him as the only creature on the field.

Anyhoo, what are y'all's favorite cards and combos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This is more about the art but I haven't played MTG in decades and I always liked this dumb looking were-rabbit thing because it looks ridiculous.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Nov 3, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"The punk rear end kid doesn't think we're scary, Max."

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

I love cards where the effects fit the flavor especially well, or especially humorously. One of my favorites I can think of off-hand:

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I remember constantly losing to this card back in like, middle school

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Just a couple cards with cool art I like. I miss the hand painted look some old cards used to have.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

can't stop lolling at this fat nerd. look at his goofy rear end face god drat

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

All I can see is Chumlee from Pawn Stars. "I'm sorry; 3 red mana is the best I can do."

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
My first favourite card:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

This

and this

are ringing bells in my head that I haven't heard for a long, long time

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Can't stop laughing at this. Like what was the brief. Did someone stride up to the artist's desk and holler DRAW ME THAT ONE GUY EVERYBODY HATES

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

some plague rats posted:

Can't stop laughing at this. Like what was the brief. Did someone stride up to the artist's desk and holler DRAW ME THAT ONE GUY EVERYBODY HATES

I've always assumed it had to be based on someone specific. If not the artist, one of his friends.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

some plague rats posted:

It's exactly the sort of guy you'd expect to spot loitering around the entrance to Snarg's House of Sin.

Warm Fish Salad
Dec 16, 2016

You Compleat Me
I love that Joven has hijacked this thread. What a legend.

While we're at it, may as well post Dragon Mask.

image upload

Warm Fish Salad has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Nov 4, 2022

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

lmao at Joven, I've still got that guy buried away in a box somewhere. We all laughed at him back in the day too.

Pararoid posted:

My first favourite card:

I had entirely forgotten about Fading. I used to run this guy in my mono green ages ago.

AcidCat has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Nov 4, 2022

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

some plague rats posted:

If you guys like Joven, you're going to love the guy that's quoted in it's flavor text...Chandler:

"Could I BE any more of a Magic card?"

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I definitely feel like I met Joven in real life before. He might've had an ICP poster?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oh my god there it is

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I love this, thank you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Here are some pictures I like:

Not an exhaustive list, just from a stack of cards I happened to have handy. The rest are in a big box and a little harder to get to.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

So a rabbit, a naked fishman? and an imp walk into a bar.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sarmhan posted:

So a rabbit, a naked fishman? and an imp walk into a bar.

:yeah:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

My actual favorite is this guy btw:

He was in my first "serious" preconstructed deck full of artifact synergies and I absolutely love feeding him my entire board to make a 45/46 trampler. It would then immediately get killed but it was still worth it for when I did win with it!!

also forever lolling at the goblin

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I like this one because my first impression of it was "some boats" and it was only later that I looked closer and saw the dandân.

Also, I can completely understand why they changed it to "Creature - Fish", but "Summon Dandân" is undeniably cooler.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
This card is probably my actual favorite, both because it looks cool, and also because I think the majority of decks I've played in the past 15 years (spanning standard, extended, modern, and legacy) have contained it:

Here's a card that I've always loved, because of the art, the name, the mechanic, flavor text, just the overall card:

And then here's a selection of cards I think look cool:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Weird. Not entirely understanding this infect mechanic though

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Weird. Not entirely understanding this infect mechanic though
Because the card is a Rare, it doesn't explain the mechanic fully (it's assumed you understand it from seeing it written out in commons in the same set): if you have 10 poison counters on you, you lose the game.

Basically, this gives you a new life total of 10, because getting 10 damage still kills you. However, if you already got hit by a few creatures with Infect, you'll die faster, because you already have Poison on you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

doesn't it just give you 10 more life

lose the first 20 the normal way, then get poisoned for the other 10

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

doesn't it just give you 10 more life

lose the first 20 the normal way, then get poisoned for the other 10

Most of the time probably, but you could also gain life back above zero while using it.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
There's a few weird things about that card:

1. Damage is dealt as if its source had Infect *only* when you are at 0 or lower life. If you're at 20 life and get attacked with creatures with total power 50, you will take 50 damage and go to -30. From then on, every source of damage will cause poison counters.

2. Damage causes loss of life, but loss of life is not damage (and thus does not do poison counters). The classic combo with Phyrexian Unlife is that if you cast Ad Nauseam, you can simply put your entire deck in your hand, because Ad Nauseam causes loss of life and does not do "damage".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Simply Simon posted:

Because the card is a Rare, it doesn't explain the mechanic fully (it's assumed you understand it from seeing it written out in commons in the same set):

Whaaaaaa

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Tiggum posted:

I like this one because my first impression of it was "some boats" and it was only later that I looked closer and saw the dandân.

Also, I can completely understand why they changed it to "Creature - Fish", but "Summon Dandân" is undeniably cooler.

Drew Tucker was always my favorite artist in the early sets, his water colors always grabbed that creepy not quite there feeling for some of the flavor.

The game and the hobby were never really the same once they got rid of all the great early stylistic artists and replaced with the boring generic stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

These are all really cool. I love the design of that fairy; it's sort of insect-like but still humanoid but doesn't feel like it's half one and half the other, it's all one coherent thing. The other three have really distinct looks. I always liked the cards that stood out like that, that you can recognise at a glance even if you've only seen them once or twice before.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

it's alter time

oh no!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Do your own edits count?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just some of my favorite cards:

Hilariously dumb card, easily broken in modern Magic, but the art is just peak "WTF?"

Queen Wasitora is a cat dragon. She first appeared as a side character in the second set of Legends novels, but never had a card until recently (I THINK the writer was basing her off of the card Petra Sphinx, which does look vaguely like a winged cat). She also makes small cat dragon tokens. What do those look like?

KITTY! :swoon:

I just like the art on this one, the split between day and night in the sky is very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Something weird about Magic cards is that all of the rules text is kinda incidental. The only thing that really matters is the name. A card's effect is whatever effect is listed in the Oracle database entry for that card name, and the rules text printed on the actual card is really just reminder text. Oracle text gets updated all the time, usually to reflect changes in how effects are worded. For example, cards used to use "he or she/him or her/his or hers" pronouns to refer to players, but now uses "they/them/theirs" and all oracle text has been updated to reflect this change. As the years go on, this can result in the wording of a card changing dramatically.

With that in mind, my favorite genre of Magic card is really old ones with a million words in their text box. Their oracle text is inevitably either A) similarly long but obviously the result of a lot of tinkering to get the weird old effect to make sense using modern rules and templating or B) comically shorter.

Here are some examples of A:

Oracle text: Look at target opponent’s hand and choose a card from it. You control that player until Word of Command finishes resolving. The player plays that card if able. While doing so, the player can activate mana abilities only if they’re from lands that player controls and only if mana they produce is spent to activate other mana abilities of lands the player controls and/or to play that card. If the chosen card is cast as a spell, you control the player while that spell is resolving.

Oracle text:

Flying

Clockwork Avian enters the battlefield with four +1/+0 counters on it.

At end of combat, if Clockwork Avian attacked or blocked this combat, remove a +1/+0 counter from it.

{X}, {T}: Put up to X +1/+0 counters on Clockwork Avian. This ability can’t cause the total number of +1/+0 counters on Clockwork Avian to be greater than four. Activate only during your upkeep.

Here are some examples of B:

Oracle text: Sacrifice an artifact: Atog gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Oracle text: Enchant Creature; You control enchanted creature.

Oracle text: {T}, Sacrifice an artifact: Draw a card.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Nov 14, 2022