Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ariong posted:

With that in mind, my favorite genre of Magic card is really old ones with a million words in their text box. Their oracle text is inevitably either A) similarly long but obviously the result of a lot of tinkering to get the weird old effect to make sense using modern rules and templating or B) comically shorter.

I prefer when a card is so ubiquitous, iconic, and succinct that everyone just inherently knows what it does, so they print it with no text at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I prefer when a card is so ubiquitous, iconic, and succinct that everyone just inherently knows what it does, so they print it with no text at all.

I agree completely!

EDIT:

You found him!

Ariong has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Dec 17, 2022

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Toshimo posted:

I can't believe I forgot about Cryptic in my earlier post, as it is arguably my actual favorite card. I was maintaining a collection of all printings for a while, but these days I'm missing the pro tour promo and the version from the list.

A fun game that I used to play with that card was challenging people who knew what the card did from memory to actually get all modes precisely correct. I'd cut some slack for getting the modes out of order, but there's some tricky parts people get wrong (can it bounce lands? can you tap your opponent's creatures if they have shroud/hexproof?).

In tournament settings, I try to make it a habit to always read my opponents cards, even if I "know" what they do, because the specifics can sometimes really burn you. There's probably some edge to be gained there, too, from making your opponent think you're new to the format or something.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Yeah

E:did not refresh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

some plague rats posted:

Can't stop laughing at this. Like what was the brief. Did someone stride up to the artist's desk and holler DRAW ME THAT ONE GUY EVERYBODY HATES

IIRC some of the designers of Homelands were all on the same D&D campaign together at the time and it inspired certain aspects of the set, though I don't know if that bled into self-insert territory. It wasn't uncommon for early Magic artists to use folks they knew as models though, or people they didn't know at allone of the more famous examples being the original Elves of Deep Shadow which was just the artist drawing his girlfriend-

Going back to Homelands for a moment, this was always one of my favorite flavor texts in the game-

As far as favorites go, I have always loved my large earthen son Terravore and it's wild to me that this card has gone 20 years without any sort of reprint. Not even in a throwaway slot in a Commander deck!

Also a big fan of its more mechanically interesting cousin Knight of the Reliquary-

Four or five years ago in Modern there was a green-white creature deck that ran this card and some other creatures that provided a benefit whenever a land entered play on your side, it was incredibly fun and is now completely unplayable and that makes me sad.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Nov 15, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

C-Euro posted:

IIRC some of the designers of Homelands were all on the same D&D campaign together at the time and it inspired certain aspects of the set, though I don't know if that bled into self-insert territory. It wasn't uncommon for early Magic artists to use folks they knew as models though, one of the more famous examples being the original Elves of Deep Shadow which was just the artist drawing his girlfriend-

Urban legend.

Straight from the horse's mouth: "I was working with a model named Amber Bird for the Vampire RPG. I really liked her look and wanted to a portrait of her. The Dark seemed like the perfect place, and I didn’t feel like doing a portrait only to give all rights to White Wolf. I am also way more comfortable with landscapes, so I wanted the challenge."

https://skullclampmtg.wordpress.com/2019/02/12/discussing-magic-history-with-jesper-myfors/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Phthisis posted:

A fun game that I used to play with that card was challenging people who knew what the card did from memory to actually get all modes precisely correct. I'd cut some slack for getting the modes out of order, but there's some tricky parts people get wrong (can it bounce lands? can you tap your opponent's creatures if they have shroud/hexproof?).

What's this mean?

Anyway didn't they remove mana burn. I could have swore that used to be a thing but my friend was arguing otherwise

What's the point of Word of Command?

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Nov 15, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ariong posted:

Something weird about Magic cards is that all of the rules text is kinda incidental. The only thing that really matters is the name. A card's effect is whatever effect is listed in the Oracle database entry for that card name, and the rules text printed on the actual card is really just reminder text. Oracle text gets updated all the time, usually to reflect changes in how effects are worded. For example, cards used to use "he or she/him or her/his or hers" pronouns to refer to players, but now uses "they/them/theirs" and all oracle text has been updated to reflect this change. As the years go on, this can result in the wording of a card changing dramatically.

With that in mind, my favorite genre of Magic card is really old ones with a million words in their text box. Their oracle text is inevitably either A) similarly long but obviously the result of a lot of tinkering to get the weird old effect to make sense using modern rules and templating or B) comically shorter.

Here are some examples of A:

Oracle text: Look at target opponent’s hand and choose a card from it. You control that player until Word of Command finishes resolving. The player plays that card if able. While doing so, the player can activate mana abilities only if they’re from lands that player controls and only if mana they produce is spent to activate other mana abilities of lands the player controls and/or to play that card. If the chosen card is cast as a spell, you control the player while that spell is resolving.

Eh this is one of my favorite cards. Also was critical to the first magic novel, though they don't call it out by name. Love to occasionally whip it out in commander because there's not really much like it, especially in black.

Oracle Text vs Card text - one of the cards nobody can ever figure out:

https://imgur.com/a/M79T5oW

Nothing works quite the same way it used to for dance of the dead:

https://imgur.com/a/YbbB7U3

Weird old cycles, there's one of these for every color and they are rare

https://imgur.com/a/726Rn8z

Really weird effect, they don't print things like this anymore, generally, also it's a mono-artifact:

https://imgur.com/a/O8I8goW

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's this mean?

This card, as noted earlier, is very famous, which is why they could get away with printing a special promo version of it that does not have the rules text on it, despite it being a fairly complicated card.

The rules text is:
Choose two —
- Counter target spell.
- Return target permanent to its owner's hand.
- Tap all creatures your opponents control.
- Draw a card.

Most people know the card in terms of the basics of what it does (counter, bounce, tap, draw), and think that they know what the card does, but when pressed with the specifics, will get them wrong (e.g. does it bounce a non-land permanent or any permanent? does it tap your opponent's creatures or target player's creatures?).

At a high levels of play, you generally need to be predicting possible plays you/your opponent can make, which means you need to know what the cards do. Asking people what Cryptic Command does is a great way to reveal that they overestimate their own ability to remember what cards precisely do.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ariong posted:

:words: about old cards having weird wording

My favorite of the "Wordy old cards" is the ones where they just gave up and didn't even try to update the text.

You see that wall of text? That's its oracle text. The card is fairly straightforward, you can bank mana and a spell to cast on the following turn by paying the rest. But just look at that. People make fun of modern YGO cards being wordy, but this had more text space than a typical YGO card and they still had to drop the font size, I'm pretty sure this is the wordiest non-joke card they ever released. Hell, this might beat out everything but the "artless" lands.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Randalor posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the wordiest non-joke card they ever released. Hell, this might beat out everything but the "artless" lands.

I remember Kaldheim/Strixhaven rares getting pretty wordy, and it got pretty egregious on some of the double-faced cards where you could cast either side.

This is the two faces of a single card:

I remember opening this one in particular in the first pack of a draft and only getting halfway through the first side of the card before just giving up and assuming it wasn't good enough to pick.

Also, for those who haven't seen the double-faced cards, the way you play them in a deck is you get these "blank" cards with official Magic backs, write the name of the card on that blank, play that in your deck with the actual card set aside somewhere, and when you play the "blank" card, you are supposed to put the actual card down on top of it or whatever. It's really dumb and bad.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Nothing works quite the same way it used to for dance of the dead:

https://imgur.com/a/YbbB7U3

Ah, I can't believe I forgot Dance of the Dead! That one doesn't have oracle text, it has an oracle novel.

pseudanonymous posted:

Eh this is one of my favorite cards. Also was critical to the first magic novel, though they don't call it out by name. Love to occasionally whip it out in commander because there's not really much like it, especially in black.

Oracle Text vs Card text - one of the cards nobody can ever figure out:

https://imgur.com/a/M79T5oW

I've got you covered.

This is an alter, not a real printing. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2qxk98/chains_of_mephistopheles_flowchart_edition/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phthisis posted:

Also, for those who haven't seen the double-faced cards, the way you play them in a deck is you get these "blank" cards with official Magic backs, write the name of the card on that blank, play that in your deck with the actual card set aside somewhere, and when you play the "blank" card, you are supposed to put the actual card down on top of it or whatever. It's really dumb and bad.
loving hell. It was bad enough when they were putting two distinct spells side-by-side on a single card or making creatures that you flip around to turn them into something else, but I guess they're just determined to make "two cards in one" work. But it won't. It's a bad idea.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

At least those cards have the advantage that you can run them in a deck sleeveless and not announce what card is coming up to the whole world. I went to the Brothers War prerelease last Friday and played against someone who was playing unsleeved and was running The Mightstone and Weakstone (a double-sided card that combines with one of the Urza cards to make Urza Planeswalker). Kind of stands out like a sore thumb whenever he was about to draw it. The cards are unwieldy (either you have to sleeve them and then unsleeve them when you flip them, or you have to use their proxy cards and still have the card with you anyways) and assumes that everyone sleeves their cards.

I mean, you should sleeve your cards, but not everyone lives close to a gamestore and big box stores don't always carry card sleeves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

loving hell. It was bad enough when they were putting two distinct spells side-by-side on a single card or making creatures that you flip around to turn them into something else, but I guess they're just determined to make "two cards in one" work. But it won't. It's a bad idea.

They've been around a long time now, it did pretty much work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Aphrodite posted:

They've been around a long time now, it did pretty much work.

Nah, double cards suck and only "work" because everyone pretends its fine.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

RFC2324 posted:

Nah, double cards suck and only "work" because everyone pretends its fine.

Same but about spending hundreds of dollars on a couple dozen pieces of cardboard

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
My first Magic purchase was a Fifth Edition tournament pack - basically three boosters and a set of basic land. My first three rares:

About fifteen years ago, I completed a full set of Fifth Edition for nostalgia's sake. I still use Fifth Edition basics in most of my Commander decks, unless another set of basic lands fits the theme better. It also has the benefit that the basic lands are usually the only white-bordered card in my deck, making it much easier to spot them at a glance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This one has always fascinated me, because what the gently caress is this? This is how you depict someone being turned into a vampire?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I miss impressionist (or is this expressionism?) magic card art.

All the recent sets seem very literal

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

They've been doing variant art stuff in the past few sets at least, so at least there's some variety in the art styles. Brothers War has the "schematic" cards, Unfinity had the 1950's-esque cartoon art, Neon Dynasty had anime...

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

ikanreed posted:

I miss impressionist (or is this expressionism?) magic card art.

All the recent sets seem very literal

Yeah. Magic's art has sadly been very homogenised over the years. It doesn't help that two of the more prolific artists with a unique and distinct style turned out to be a MAGA-supporting TERF (Terese Nielsen) and a Trucker Convoy Chud (Seb McKinnon). As Randalor has pointed out, most of the aesthetic creativity is in alternative printings. Pretty much any set has one. And there's also the Secret Lair drops, Magic's FOMO speciality product, which often get very silly.

One example of silly - Full art basic lands are a very common variant. The first experiment with that was all the way back in 1998, when special frame basic lands were pack fillers in the non-tournament joke set Unglued. The first properly full art basic land cards were from the follow up to that, Unhinged, in 2004. Then, in 2009, we got Zendikar, which was the first mainline set to feature full art basic lands, making them much more widely available:

Since then, there have been dozens of full art or special frame basic lands printed. The absolute peak of that were the full-art lands for the 2020 set Theros: Beyond Death, and the 2021 Full-Text Lands Secret Lair:

Skios has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Nov 22, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I know the Theros Beyond Death ones are awesome, but I am partial to Neon Dynasty Japanese lands (though those aren't the "standard" lands for that set) or the lands from Unfinity.

Just look at these beauties.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Love that john avon forest

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

Love that john avon forest

Back in like 2006 I bought a booster box and a half of Unhinged from a local toy store, for €1 per booster. I more than made the money back selling the lands. I still have two cards from that purchase - a foil forest, which I play in a One Land Spy pauper deck as the eponymous One Land, and a Super-Secret Tech, which I have since gotten signed by the artist at a grand prix, and which now sits framed on my desk:

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Skios posted:

MAGA-supporting TERF (Terese Nielsen)

Oh no she did one of the cards I posted. Ick. :(

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

^---- That sucks but loving hell those full-card Lands are gorgeous.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You can't be maga and a terf just say anti-trans or transphobe.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You can't be maga and a terf

What? Why not?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

You can't be maga and a terf just say anti-trans or transphobe.

Counterpoint: Sinfest.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'm really fond of the old Magic cards. My favourite when it comes to old wording is absolutely Rock Hydra:

Click here for the current Oracle wording.

Also a longtime fan of Singing Tree:

I mean, just look at it.

And I've always liked Pestilence for various reasons too:

One of my absolute favourite card names, Clambassadors:

...and since City of Brass was posted upthread, I gotta add its Unhinged counterpart, City of rear end:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I was just reminded how much I like both these versions of Sengir Vampire:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiggum posted:

What? Why not?

Terf means trans-exclusionary radical feminist. It's mutually exclusive with maga, which is explicitly anti-feminist. Using it generically for anti trans people leaves us without a word for actual terfs, who are a real group that's a serious problem in some places like the UK.

Edit: most people these days picked it from Twitter or wherever and missed that detail. I'm not trying to knock anybody, it's just a useful word I'd rather not lose completely.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Nov 23, 2022

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Terf means trans-exclusionary radical feminist. It's mutually exclusive with maga, which is explicitly anti-feminist. Using it generically for anti trans people leaves us without a word for actual terfs, who are a real group that's a serious problem in some places like the UK.

Edit: most people these days picked it from Twitter or wherever and missed that detail. I'm not trying to knock anybody, it's just a useful word I'd rather not lose completely.

Again, Sinfest is an excellent example of someone being both a TERF and a full on alt-right nutjob. The author went from weirdly miserable feminism to all sex work is bad to trans women are bad to LGBTQ rights movements and BLM are conspiracies to overthrow western civilisation, Biden is an actual paedophile and the entire medical industry can't be trusted because of gender affirming care. The Venn diagram isn't a perfect circle, but there's plenty of overlap.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Skios posted:

Again, Sinfest is an excellent example of someone being both a TERF and a full on alt-right nutjob. The author went from weirdly miserable feminism to all sex work is bad to trans women are bad to LGBTQ rights movements and BLM are conspiracies to overthrow western civilisation, Biden is an actual paedophile and the entire medical industry can't be trusted because of gender affirming care. The Venn diagram isn't a perfect circle, but there's plenty of overlap.

Well, it doesn't sound like they're a TERF and a MAGA at the same time; it sounds like they went from a TERF TO a MAGA.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Tinybones is just the cutest little guy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I haven't played MTG since middle school and I was always terrible at, but here's my favorite.

Huge pain in the rear end to use, but you get turn your opponents creatures into sheep!

I'm not trying to knock anybody, it's just a useful word I'd rather not lose completely.

Stop gaslighting us like you're new to the internet.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Nov 24, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Terfs are not, and never will be feminist. They actively work to undermine actual feminist causes in their quest to hurt us.

Much like the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korean, TERFs maybe just claimed some words in their name to legitimize themselves.

Please stop trying to defend them.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Also, stop posting about terfs in this thread, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

e: Sorry. Im sorry. Im trying to remove it