Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Maybe Oko, though iirc Oko got banned pretty quickly everywhere.

Oko is the best recent example, the grand prix in the month between the FotD banning and the Oko etc. banning Oko was 32 copies in that to 8 and similar saturation in other Standard events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
poo poo we just had Fable as the big new hot spot for quite awhile. It fits in powered cubes better than just about anything else, assuming you can splash red it's a contender for best 3 drops.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Another Tier 0 peroid that I haven't seen mentioned yet were the Psychatog decks that dominated standard during Invasion/Odyssey block formats. They were utterly miserable mirrors too, just the worst kind of grindy control mirror that's only fun to play/watch for a very particular kind of player.

On the other hand, who could really be mad at this smile?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Randalor posted:

Yeah, Urza's Saga really raises some eyebrows on that specific definition of "tier 0". Though that's also a very specific instance in a block that was basically "Tier 0 the block".

Those Academy decks are like tier -1 because they'd probably still beat most of the other tier 0 decks that have come out since.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
urza and oko are notorious enough that even i've heard of how broken they are lol. that and Lurrus getting a ban from the format which basically never bans for power-level

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For anyone curious;

https://youtu.be/9W3qlQhGhdw?si=hnTSnl9afQj-_cEp

Nizzahon is a youtuber that does Top 10 MTG lists twice a week or so. This one in particular was the top ten most oppressive block decks that required banning cards in order free up the format. Each one could reasonably be considered a tier 0 deck.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Similar to that, I watched this excellent recent video from Rhystic Studies last night talking about the summer of Hogaak's dominance. Very well made, all of his videos are great watches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idcdCzKt62Y

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For anyone curious;

https://youtu.be/9W3qlQhGhdw?si=hnTSnl9afQj-_cEp

Nizzahon is a youtuber that does Top 10 MTG lists twice a week or so. This one in particular was the top ten most oppressive block decks that required banning cards in order free up the format. Each one could reasonably be considered a tier 0 deck.

The thumbnail being intangible virtue but the deck not being in the top 10 when I scroll through the video chapters is a mean fakeout

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ilmucche posted:

The thumbnail being intangible virtue but the deck not being in the top 10 when I scroll through the video chapters is a mean fakeout

Maybe the chapters are messed up? It's in there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe the chapters are messed up? It's in there.

it is indeed, the chapters go from 7 to 5 and skip over. tokens forgotten in the notes again :(

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Was reading up on ante, as while I vaguely knew what it was its from well before I started playing, and saw this card.

Lol, literally just "I own this card now". What a stupid mechanic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the gently caress is going on with the skeleton dude's skull.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the gently caress is going on with the skeleton dude's skull.

Impressive that they managed to get AI-generated art in 1995.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Garrand posted:

Was reading up on ante, as while I vaguely knew what it was its from well before I started playing, and saw this card.

"hey, thanks for playing that Mox Ruby, that's the only one I was missing!"

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Garrand posted:

This card is now on my list to get signed. The effect is so awful and the art is so bizarre.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I wonder if that was the last card that mentioned/had the Ante mechanic? I'm actually surprised it lasted all the way to Homelands, I would have guessed something like Legends or Antiquities was the last.

Fake edit: Yeah, looks like Timmerian Fiends was the last new printed card with Ante. Even before Homelands, Ice Age had a couple ante cards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love Historic on Arena.

"I play a land, cast Minion of the Mighty. pass."

"I play a forest! pass!"

"I play a second land, cast double giant growth, trigger MOTM's ability, place Terror of Mount Velus into play attacking giving both double strike, hit you for 22. good game"

also, with the Lost Caverns of Ixalan set coming out, they're bringing back Admiral Beckett Brass. here is the wonderful irl backstory on the old girl:

https://twitter.com/dixonij/status/1716547097179406817

https://www.jasonrainville.com/post/admiral-brass-unsinkable

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This card from the new set is hilarious.

quote:

Whenever you untap one or more permanents during your untap step, put that many time counters on The Millennium Calendar.

{2}, {T}: Double the number of time counters on The Millennium Calendar.

When there are 1,000 or more time counters on The Millennium Calendar, sacrifice it and each opponent loses 1,000 life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That plus All Will Be One is a very funny combination

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh man I just read what All Will Be One does, you don't even need to win through millennium calendar. You'll have won long before that point.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FPzero posted:

Oh man I just read what All Will Be One does, you don't even need to win through millennium calendar. You'll have won long before that point.

Someone in a Discord I frequent also mentioned combining All Will Be One with this nice little guy:
https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=615434

Once you find a way to do that initial exactly 1 life, you've got an infinite loop of damage.

Edit: For those that don't want to look up All Will Be One on their own:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ygo put out its highly anticipated "oops! all staples" box set that everyone seems to love (because Pot of Prosperity got a reprint and went from like a $75 card to a $10 one) but i am very happy to get a foil version of the alt-art Eldlich, also known as Gay Eldlich

i dont even play eldlich but i will never trade Gay Eldlich

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Very strong "Will you hurry up and kill him already" vibes from that Eldlich pose.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sitting on my throne on this ruined battlefield, bored as poo poo, wishing I'd remembered to charge my phone before getting summoned by some card dork

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
loving L M A O

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

loving L M A O

All of these other-media tie-ins look like the fake cards people make to post online (usually as jokes). What if Magic: the Gathering but Jurassic Park/Doctor Who/Lord of the Rings/etc. They're so loving bad. The lowest form of pandering garbage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
actually it rules and if they make hilarious referential cards that are just appropriate reskins of useful cards like tasha's I'll keep buying them

it's not a new unique card exclusive to that secret lair like the walking dead ones were. so there's no need to be upset, you can safely ignore them. but in the meantime I will lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The lord of the rings set was also surprisingly good and fun and they managed to fit most things in flavorfully, with only a few obvious missteps(orcish bowmasters, the one ring) and it's unfortunate you missed out on an excellent set because it was a licensed one. what a shame

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

actually it rules and if they make hilarious referential cards that are just appropriate reskins of useful cards like tasha's I'll keep buying them

it's not a new unique card exclusive to that secret lair like the walking dead ones were. so there's no need to be upset, you can safely ignore them. but in the meantime I will lol

Captain Invictus posted:

The lord of the rings set was also surprisingly good and fun and they managed to fit most things in flavorfully, with only a few obvious missteps(orcish bowmasters, the one ring) and it's unfortunate you missed out on an excellent set because it was a licensed one. what a shame

Um O_o what is this? When someone says they don't like a thing you like, you don't have to drop a pretentious no-caps explainer of how they're totally mad lol and shouldn't be mad lol and should try not being angry and upset and mad lol. You can just acknowledge the differing opinion and move on. I respect that you're very passionate about this product and care about it a lot, but there are more productive (and frankly less annoying) ways to express that. Maybe even post something you do like.

Here, like this.

I stopped playing MTG altogether when the Pinkerton thing happened but right before that I really loved this card. If you don't know, Proliferate means that for each thing on your side of the board that has a counter on it, you can put an additional counter on it. Honestly, it sucks. It's way too slow and requires too many planeswalkers to be great. I made a blue/black deck centered around it anyway, and had a blast with my 30% winrate. It was stuffed with cheap proliferate and as many planeswalkers as I could fit into it, especially this one:

So I drop this after the gauntlet and get a 6 loyalty PW, a 3 loyalty PW, and two proliferations on everything else for 5 mana. Quite scary. Most of my wins came from opponents getting too scared by the rapidly growing planeswalkers to realize that even with their very slow deck they would be better off just going for my face while I durdle around putting counters on things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Invictus posted:

loving L M A O

Someone didn't get the license

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone didn't get the license
the jurassic park license? There's jurassic park cards in the latest set, this is from a secret lair side release. some of the JP Ixalan cards are pretty great. probably my two favorites are the Jurassic Park Saga:

which is just fantastic as a "story", it perfectly tells an extremely truncated story of JP on it.

and Swooping Pteranodon, which I love as it representing picking you up and dropping you from a great height :allears:

they've also got the dilophosaur and nedry computer lockouts as cards

Ariong posted:

Um O_o what is this? When someone says they don't like a thing you like, you don't have to drop a pretentious no-caps explainer of how they're totally mad lol and shouldn't be mad lol and should try not being angry and upset and mad lol. You can just acknowledge the differing opinion and move on. I respect that you're very passionate about this product and care about it a lot, but there are more productive (and frankly less annoying) ways to express that. Maybe even post something you do like.
O_o

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Nov 21, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Maybe it's just a bad angle but the art on that Goldblum Tasha's is bad ngl. It's like they want to draw it exactly like the movie but didn't have the legal rights to do so, compared to LET where they were going for their own visual aesthetic from the jump.

If you haven't seen it, there's a Jurassic Park version of Tasigur, the Golden Gang using the Ian Malcolm shirtless shot that I honestly thought was fake when I saw it. No I will not debase myself by posting it here.

E: heck, even compared to other cards in the post above this one which look fine if not good, and drawing from the same design "source"!

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

C-Euro posted:

If you haven't seen it, there's a Jurassic Park version of Tasigur, the Golden Gang using the Ian Malcolm shirtless shot that I honestly thought was fake when I saw it. No I will not debase myself by posting it here.

Out of all the Goldblum cards I like it the best.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Danny Davito holding Egg

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ariong posted:

It's mtg posting so being a dick is part of it. They're also wrong, given if someone is playing these in their deck you can't outright ignore the card because it's there in front of you.

I still love this silly zebra

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
can't wait to post the official version of this in the thread next year

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Captain Invictus posted:

can't wait to post the official version of this in the thread next year

hmmm, there are some mangas with mana in the name but not sure if theyre specifically black mana and if theres enough to fill a pool with manga. this 12 cost planeswalker seems dubious. it doesnt even have "destroy target tapped creature." come on, thats just a given.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Convalescent Charmer is a joke about Tasigur's sexy pose in its original FRF art. The Jurassic Park card is actually self-refernce using a crossover as a basis.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Out of all the Goldblum cards I like it the best.

Someone in another thread said that the face on the Egg token is Bob Saget and now I can't unsee it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I still love this silly zebra

It's a pity it's such a bad card because it is a very good picture.