Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Your Kickstarter Sucks is a show where Jesse Farrar and Mike Hale review kickstarter projects. They also have a patreon where they put out bonus episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol, realized I messed up the title. It should be "Your Kickstarter Sucks".

Anyways the boys also have an about us page

quote:

Useless robots, minimalist shoes, and "offensive" card games up to the friggin' Pope's stinky eyeballs! (Ewww!) That's crowdfunding in a nutshell, but it's also our modern world - a vast creativity desert, populated almost exclusively by scammers and dummies, practically coded to prey upon our pathological consumerism, permanently on the precipice of collapsing onto itself. Plus, there's a shitload of USB cables everywhere.

But it's not all bad. Most concepts springing from the twin Idea Hells of Kickstarter and IndieGoGo are so obviously stupid that they'll never go into production -- saving valuable landfill space -- and many of them are laugh-out-loud funny. Well, they're the kind of funny that makes you do that ashamed chuckle you do when you're listening to a podcast in public. Sort of a stifled "Hfff" sound, where you clear your throat right afterwards and hope nobody noticed it. Hfffffffuhhhahem. I'm normal.

As much as it sucks, sometimes you do need to buy stuff though. Occasionally you may even just want something, which is also fine within reason. And bombarded as we all are every day by hyper-targeted ads, we'll all eventually find ourselves getting pitched an idea that sounds like it might be exactly what we're looking for...if only they can just raise a little money. If you've read this far, that might sound pretty daunting. But the savvy shopper can avoid disaster with a few simple tips.

1. Crowdfunding websites aren't stores, so you can't buy stuff there. Consider your pledges donations for potential rewards, and don't expect refunds.
2. Check existing retailers for the product you want to buy. If it's a good enough idea, it's probably already for sale -- cheaper, and you can get it sooner.
3. You have enough USB cables.

Finally, and most importantly, listen to Your Kickstarter Sucks. Mike and JF will tell you all about the nasty garbage you're missing out on, so there's no need to put yourself through the slog of browsing the sites, and they'll help steer you clear of the really tempting stuff you ultimately don't need (how many times to you expect your USB cable to be shot at anyway?) And hey, if you Hfffffffuhhhahem a little bit while you're at it, well, I don't know. That's probably good.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
this should be a thread about blocked party instead

bartok
May 10, 2006

John Romero posted:

this should be a thread about blocked party instead

I enjoy both shows equally.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The introduction of Mike's Theme Song is one of the biggest laughs I've ever got from a podcast. Love JF and DB.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Why not make this a Producer Danverse thread? That said a really fun Blocked Party and a flubtastic YKS this week.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Is this a safe space for flub heads?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fsmhunk posted:

The introduction of Mike's Theme Song is one of the biggest laughs I've ever got from a podcast. Love JF and DB.

Mike being put on the spot or doing bits are some of the best content on the show.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

There was some random bit from a year or so ago where JF talked about his daughter seeing him in briefs and asking why he was wearing mommy’s underwear and my wife still laughs about it

Thanks for starting this thread though, YKS is my favorite podcast

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What are some "best of" episodes that you would recommend to someone starting the show?

The first thing that came to my mind was the ones where they pretend to be the doughboys, but that is way too meta for a first time listener.

Sir Plus
Jan 16, 2008

Ain't easy looking this eggstraordinary.

the doughboys eps are good and i really like 181 with the blocked party boys with whom they have a good rapport too

episode 8, fishy flip, is the classic ep i see recommended most often

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Love this podcast, love the hosts. Any ep that has Stefan Heck, Howell Dawdy, Chris James, or the Doughboys is gonna be an absolute banger.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Mike's story about washing his granny's legs while she watches Walker Texas Ranger was hilarious.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sir Plus posted:

the doughboys eps are good and i really like 181 with the blocked party boys with whom they have a good rapport too

episode 8, fishy flip, is the classic ep i see recommended most often

This episode rocked, I don't know why but I thought it was a recent one for some reason.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This is my favorite podcast and I listen to it to fall asleep a ton. Fishy flip is so good.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
it's the only good podcast

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

The cool cat guy should not be allowed around children

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Excellent new premium episode today. So many piss parodies

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
and the return of jokeblogger! (in spirit, anyway)

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

My favorite long-running subtle joke is how they'll replace "a" with "of" in common phrases

Long of go
Mort of della

etc.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zoracle Zed posted:

and the return of jokeblogger! (in spirit, anyway)

im glad they brought it back, it made me laugh so hard

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

All time Mike monologue in todays episode

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

As a native Angeleno I love in n out burger. Hope the guys get to try it and enjoy it soon

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I learned today that Mike and I are “Eskimo brothers.” I had a similar relationship with Diamond. Oh how I miss her.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

No idea what episode it's from but this exchange has been stuck in my head ever since

DB: That pussy be fartin and grippin!
JF: [Sigh] I know, the pussy be farting and gripping

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Since it doesn't look like they shared it anywhere, I went ahead and made my own version of the YKS Sixpack bingo card described in the last episode. Admittedly I don't know what "Goovis" or "Fish Lord" are but who am I to question.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Fish lord is mentioned in the classic episode 8, Fishy Flip

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

"Where was the last place Stefan nutted"
"Or was it D, inside of his partner at the end of their last lovemaking session"

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
can't believe it's Farrarch already!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Arrival is a genuinely good movie

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Zoracle Zed posted:

it's the only good podcast

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i relistened to the fishy flip episode yesterday and completely forgot abouut all the piss/cum talk in the beginning

ive been recommending that episode to people, whoops

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the farrarch theme goes so hard

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

lol @ them focusing on the social commentary aspects of freakin' IN TIME more than IDIOCRACY. But yeah, they reviewed Idiocracy in the way it deserves.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
what episodes should I listen to

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

John Romero posted:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i relistened to the fishy flip episode yesterday and completely forgot abouut all the piss/cum talk in the beginning

ive been recommending that episode to people, whoops

Episode 8

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

basically all the eps with guests are extremely good

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

John Romero posted:

the doughboys ep is a classic

https://shows.acast.com/yourkickstartersucks/episodes/episode-119-doughboys-scared-straight

Binowru posted:

lol @ them focusing on the social commentary aspects of freakin' IN TIME more than IDIOCRACY. But yeah, they reviewed Idiocracy in the way it deserves.

the deadpan readings of yks dialogue in the yesterday game from the idocracy ep killed me

MIKE: yeah

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

after listening to the mib 3 episode i have realized i have never watcehd that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Jesse and Mike are gonna be guests on Doughboys tomorrow. Should be a good one