Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Your Kickstarter Sucks is a show where Jesse Farrar and Mike Hale review kickstarter projects. They also have a patreon where they put out bonus episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol, realized I messed up the title. It should be "Your Kickstarter Sucks".

Anyways the boys also have an about us page

quote:

Useless robots, minimalist shoes, and "offensive" card games up to the friggin' Pope's stinky eyeballs! (Ewww!) That's crowdfunding in a nutshell, but it's also our modern world - a vast creativity desert, populated almost exclusively by scammers and dummies, practically coded to prey upon our pathological consumerism, permanently on the precipice of collapsing onto itself. Plus, there's a shitload of USB cables everywhere.

But it's not all bad. Most concepts springing from the twin Idea Hells of Kickstarter and IndieGoGo are so obviously stupid that they'll never go into production -- saving valuable landfill space -- and many of them are laugh-out-loud funny. Well, they're the kind of funny that makes you do that ashamed chuckle you do when you're listening to a podcast in public. Sort of a stifled "Hfff" sound, where you clear your throat right afterwards and hope nobody noticed it. Hfffffffuhhhahem. I'm normal.

As much as it sucks, sometimes you do need to buy stuff though. Occasionally you may even just want something, which is also fine within reason. And bombarded as we all are every day by hyper-targeted ads, we'll all eventually find ourselves getting pitched an idea that sounds like it might be exactly what we're looking for...if only they can just raise a little money. If you've read this far, that might sound pretty daunting. But the savvy shopper can avoid disaster with a few simple tips.

1. Crowdfunding websites aren't stores, so you can't buy stuff there. Consider your pledges donations for potential rewards, and don't expect refunds.
2. Check existing retailers for the product you want to buy. If it's a good enough idea, it's probably already for sale -- cheaper, and you can get it sooner.
3. You have enough USB cables.

Finally, and most importantly, listen to Your Kickstarter Sucks. Mike and JF will tell you all about the nasty garbage you're missing out on, so there's no need to put yourself through the slog of browsing the sites, and they'll help steer you clear of the really tempting stuff you ultimately don't need (how many times to you expect your USB cable to be shot at anyway?) And hey, if you Hfffffffuhhhahem a little bit while you're at it, well, I don't know. That's probably good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fsmhunk posted:

The introduction of Mike's Theme Song is one of the biggest laughs I've ever got from a podcast. Love JF and DB.

Mike being put on the spot or doing bits are some of the best content on the show.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What are some "best of" episodes that you would recommend to someone starting the show?

The first thing that came to my mind was the ones where they pretend to be the doughboys, but that is way too meta for a first time listener.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sir Plus posted:

the doughboys eps are good and i really like 181 with the blocked party boys with whom they have a good rapport too

episode 8, fishy flip, is the classic ep i see recommended most often

This episode rocked, I don't know why but I thought it was a recent one for some reason.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zoracle Zed posted:

and the return of jokeblogger! (in spirit, anyway)

im glad they brought it back, it made me laugh so hard

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i relistened to the fishy flip episode yesterday and completely forgot abouut all the piss/cum talk in the beginning

ive been recommending that episode to people, whoops

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

after listening to the mib 3 episode i have realized i have never watcehd that movie

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Binowru posted:

Jesse and Mike are gonna be guests on Doughboys tomorrow. Should be a good one

Oh hell yes, I was excited when they talked about visiting LA.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the ones with chris james, the blocked party boys, and the doughboys are easily some of the best

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

laughed really hard when i heard their visit to la episode, and then the doughboys version of the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

doughboys on the premium episode

:letsgo: