Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
im gay for pay (putin's pay)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Don't care, unless this affects the Phillies or the Eagles

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2016/05/27/barbarous-deforestation-in-western-ukraine/

Forests in the Ukrainian Carpathians are on the verge of extinction as the country faces an ecological disaster of unprecedented proportions, environmentalists say. Illegal loggers are illegally trafficking abroad entire trains of fir trees, earning millions of dollars. According to local residents, deforestation has dramatically intensified over the past two years.

The scale of the disaster can be seen in shocking photos of bird’s eye views of cleared mountain slopes which have been were published on the Internet. One of these photos is the southern slope of the Popadia Mountain at the junction of the Zakarpattia and Ivano-Frankivsk regions of the country, where logging is strictly prohibited by law.

Before the Maidan revolution of 2013, trees were growing quite densely. Now, less than three years later, a huge bare spots have formed. The green Carpathian Mountains are gradually turning into a desert. According to the deputy Yuri Gnepa of the Zakarpattia Regional Council, in the Mizhgirya district of Zakarpattia region, 40,000 cubic meters of wood were being cut down earlier. Now it is about 100,000.

In the opinion of some experts, the native mountains could become even more thinned out because authorities want to allow the free export abroad of cut timber. The government of President Petro Poroshenko has proposed that the Verkhovna Rada cancel the ten-year moratorium on the export of unprocessed timber (roundwood) that was approved in 2015. This has caused mixed reaction among experts.

“The timber export moratorium was aimed to protect forests from destruction and to support the domestic wood processing industry, which is breathing its last,” says Igor Sheludko, an expert on forestry.

“Instead of timber going to Ukrainian enterprises and feeding our workers and the economy, logs are being sold massively to our neighbors in western Europe. But this is unprofitable. One cubic meter of raw material costs 80-90 dollars, whereas treated lumber has a value ten times higher. We have to develop our own production. Ukraine is becoming a raw materials appendage.

“The EU countries did not like our moratorium on timber exports because they buy that timber from us for a song and then make furniture to sell back to us at high prices.”\

European governments even provide subsidies to companies to export timber from Ukraine. But the same governments cherish their own forests. In Poland, Slovakia and Romania, trees are not cut on an industrial scale. Moreover, Romanians equate illegal felling to threats to national security.

Forest workers, say locals, are self-financed and are paid very poor prices for their wood. They cut down fine-quality wood and sell it to intermediaries, who then ship the wood to the West and make tens of thousands of dollars per week.

“The trees which protected the river banks from erosion by swollen rivers are no longer there. Now only stumps remain. Nothing now slows the rapid river currents,” explains Wojtowicz.

“At the same time, rivers and wells in villages are drying up because the trees perform a water regulation function. Their roots hold back lots of moisture. For example, a large spruce tree can hold up to three tons of water. When it is cut, the moisture evaporates. The mountain dwellers are forced to walk for kilometers to find springs.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I know what will spice up this thread, I'm going to get Al-Saqr going

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1588107211837956096

speculation from Russian telegram channels that Russia's desertion of Kherson is imminent!

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

Be patient.

together, we can do it. death to all that lives.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Amethyst posted:

why would you post this. what on earth gave you the idea that anyone on earth would want to read "hey wheres my putin"? no one gives a gently caress about this idiot post! delete your account

thanks for reading

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Starsfan posted:

speculation from Russian telegram channels that Russia's desertion of Kherson is imminent!

this has been buzzing around for over a month. at this point i'll believe it when i see it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

thanks for reading

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i love the smell of new threads in the morning

smells like... victory

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Maybe someone just decided the flag was very very dirty and needed a wash?

From all the shelling and whatnot.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

didn’t read but this smells pro-Russian. Mods??

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/11/2/north-korea-covertly-shipping-artillery-shells-to-russia-us-says

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Amethyst posted:

why would you post this. what on earth gave you the idea that anyone on earth would want to read "hey wheres my putin"? no one gives a gently caress about this idiot post! delete your account

gb2twitter

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Starsfan posted:

going? brother i literally today just got my first warhammer box in twenty years I’m completely gone to hunt bigger fish to fry. I feel like I’m the cherry on top right now.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

those dastardly north koreans

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nukes. They are on everyone's Christmas wishlist.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1588297119957254144

*Dave laugh* Ah heh heh heh! Hey Paul can I get some of that Zelensky music?!

Paul: Haaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
the bernie thread

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

Nukes. They are on everyone's Christmas wishlist.

Not mine. I want peace :D

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it is, for instance, possible that the people who were working in that building were evacuated. it's possible that russia's planning on leaving the right bank of the dnepr; it's also possible that she is not planning any such thing. that move has been advertised several times before and not materialised, so saying that it's definitely happening this time for real based on one's interpretation of flag protocol does not seem like a smart thing to do

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

going? brother i literally today just got my first warhammer box in twenty years I’m completely gone to hunt bigger fish to fry. I feel like I’m the cherry on top right now.

what army did you get, guessing orks of course

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

It's not a war, it's a murder

It's not a war, it's a moida

Slightly off topic, but vaguely related, if you haven't listened to Season 3 of Blowback about the Korean War go do it right now

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Majorian posted:

his shirt says "I'm Ukrainian" in english? is that to help the average viewer understand who he is?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

what army did you get, guessing orks of course

kill team recruit edition starter set that includes Krieg imperial guard and Ork Kommandos, if I end up enjoying the game I will upgrade to the gallowdark expansions

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Starsfan posted:

his shirt says "I'm Ukrainian" in english? is that to help the average viewer understand who he is?

I meeeeeeeean...consider the audience in question.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Slightly off topic, but vaguely related, if you haven't listened to Season 3 of Blowback about the Korean War go do it right now

Seconding this.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1588223681909690370

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Better be T'au or Sisters of Battle. Or squats.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PhilippAchtel posted:

Listen to all of Blowback, but yeah Season 3 is loving incredible.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Welcome back thread. You’re not wrong about that QCS thread. It goes places. I’m not sure how much longer spaces that look at the war in a nuanced skeptical way are going to last on any English language platform, that’s hardly SA specific. There’s a certain dogged moral certainty that has overtaken pretty much everyone. It’s almost been remarkable to watch it develop in real time

I really don’t think it helps at all that most of the higher profile voices in opposition to US involvement have been MAGA types

The CPC letter and the push to deplatform BJG are other examples. It’s wild out there

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

evilmiera posted:

nah it’s the Kill Team starter set, I’m absolutely gonna get the squat (Votann) kill team if it comes out though, sadly the sisters aren’t interesting in this game yet.

regular 40k is too much of a money and time sink to be payable with normal people, kill team fits the bill much more to normal sane human existence.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Welcome back thread. You’re not wrong about that QCS thread. It goes places. I’m not sure how much longer spaces that look at the war in a nuanced skeptical way are going to last on any English language platform, that’s hardly SA specific. There’s a certain dogged moral certainty that has overtaken pretty much everyone. It’s almost been remarkable to watch it develop in real time

I really don’t think it helps at all that most of the higher profile voices in opposition to US involvement have been MAGA types

The CPC letter and the push to deplatform BJG are other examples. It’s wild out there

speng31b
May 8, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I have been impressed with BJG's posting energy

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

nah it’s the Kill Team starter set, I’m absolutely gonna get the squat kill team if it comes out though, sadly the sisters aren’t interesting in this game yet.

regular 40k is too much of a money and time sink to be payable with normal people

ork kill teams seems like its right up this thread's alley

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

evilmiera posted:

I've been working on painting a space wolf army for like 4 years and just realized I can paint them up like brave azov soldiers since they already have runes all over the place

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Thank you for war thread!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yup lol

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Majorian posted:

Dave: eeeehhhhh.... ya got any guns?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

it has been very weird to watch propaganda apparatus (on both sides) adapt to modern social media posting in real time and find incredibly fertile ground there. I stand by my early prediction in the last thread that the longer this goes on the weirder and more unhinged the takes we'll get.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

I've only listened to Season 1 (Iraq) and a bit of Season 2 which goes over Cuba and the missile crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Imma eat a probe for taking sides on war zone orphans left in the war zone or put into foster care?

Not sure that's the win they think it is but as long as more of those kids get to live that's all I care about. War sucks and should end, etc.