Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Phigs posted:

Oh, and basically every Gorbachev ally I've read anything on seemed fully fixated on the secret speech and Khrushchev's efforts to completely repudiate the Stalin years. They came to believe that the USSR had to be drastically reformed. Basically they had a crisis of faith and turned to liberalism because of it.

Deng stays winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
we're doing this again:

Russia plans 'false flag' attacks on Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, Kyiv tells UN

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Virtual Russian posted:

I've been thinking about the shed tank. There is a lot of talk about the end of tanks, I'm not sure they are done for yet. I think people see tanks getting knocked out and forget that tanks get knocked out in war. The shed tank is the product of troopers knowing they need more protection when leading a column, but not having the equipment to do the job. IF the shed was successful, someone is taking notes somewhere. Maybe we'll actually see the return of heavy tanks?

I'm reminded of the the Bob Semple, New Zealand's greatest tank. The original idea was that you would just build the tank hulls and position them in key locations. When war was declared you would then take those hulls and mount them on ttractors to create the world's worst tank. I think this is the proper inspiration for tomorrow's tanks.

I think in the future tanks will continue to be low-profile. However, there will be add on kits to turn them into sheds or some kind of iron chain umbrella system for a 360 cope cage. Units can then mount or unmount them as the tactical situation dictates. Tanks will always be around for as long as mankind loves war; we'll always need a vehicle that combines firepower, mobility, and protection.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

OctaMurk posted:

we're doing this again:

lol

makes perfect sense. ruzzia is desperate and genocidal after all...

NinjaPaco
May 6, 2003
i have no idea what custom title should be
Can someone post that picture of zelensky with news articles about US allies turned foe in the background and Osama offering his hand pls, i don't have it saved and just looking at that picture and knowing that it was posted when this all started 2 years ago, its all just so wild, I want to thank all the effort posters here, thank you very much, this is literally the only place i can get unbiased news about whats going on

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Breaking News: Russians too dumb to successfully blow up their own nuclear plant.

NinjaPaco posted:

Can someone post that picture of zelensky with news articles about US allies turned foe in the background and Osama offering his hand pls, i don't have it saved and just looking at that picture and knowing that it was posted when this all started 2 years ago, its all just so wild, I want to thank all the effort posters here, thank you very much, this is literally the only place i can get unbiased news about whats going on

Please enjoy that image as well as some others.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Apr 17, 2024

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

OctaMurk posted:

we're doing this again:

deep sigh

can't the comedian come up with some new material already, are we going to bring back da orks are stealing toilets again because they never saw one? a new ghost of kiev? snake island?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BearsBearsBears posted:

Breaking News: Russians too dumb to successfully blow up their own nuclear plant.

Please enjoy that image as well as some others.

this one really needs either diem or big minh in it as well

NinjaPaco
May 6, 2003
i have no idea what custom title should be
THank you very much, could someone also post angry zelenksky at that party with those glaring eyes, and also again I really want to send a thanks out to all the posters of this thread, its been extremely informative and I can't thank you enough, special shout out to dk2m who really helped me, a stupid liberal, understand some things with this post

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016635&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2620

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/04/14/7451183/

quote:

According to a former Ukrainian Volunteer Corps fighter who served in the unit during the 2014-2018 anti-terrorist operation in Ukraine's east and the first year of the full-scale invasion, the current problem stems from the inability to reform the former volunteer unit into a regular brigade of the Armed Forces.

Following the reformatting of the Ukrainian Volunteer Corps into the 67th Brigade, volunteers were forced to live "according to military tenets", as determined by the newly formed army command. The former Ukrainian Volunteer Corps leaders lacked the military experience necessary for high positions.

During the tenure of former Commander-in-Chief Valerii Zaluzhnyi, the backbone of the Ukrainian Volunteer Corps, particularly Andrii Stempitskyi, was able to maintain some autonomy in the brigade while receiving assistance from the General Staff.

Quote: "And when Sirskyi was appointed, they were confronted with the fact that they must only do activities that are appropriate for their official position. They saw it as political persecution. For highly ideological Ukrainian Volunteer Corps combatants, this appears to be the end of a movement, but it is actually the system bringing its combat units up to standard."

Sirskyi (Syrsky) is basically taking the politically active brigades at their words that they have oobs full of elite troops and western gear and throwing them straight into the Russians only for it to turn out to all be marketing purposes for the West.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

quote:

during the 2014-2018 anti-terrorist operation in Ukraine's east

LOL.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this one really needs either diem or big minh in it as well
i love
bin ladens hand

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Danann posted:

Sirskyi (Syrsky) is basically taking the politically active brigades at their words that they have oobs full of elite troops and western gear and throwing them straight into the Russians only for it to turn out to all be marketing purposes for the West.

So are the Political Guys being reassigned or did they just denazify the Ukrainian Armed Forces a little

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Leandros posted:

So are the Political Guys being reassigned or did they just denazify the Ukrainian Armed Forces a little

They are getting re-assigned to other brigades piecemeal so they cant group up and just decide to leave the front as a battalion

Probably should be demoted so they aren't even near a position of command.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thats just what they call it

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

OctaMurk posted:

we're doing this again:

Last article I read on it, the last operating unit has been put into cold shutdown by the Russian operators with the final installation of diesel generators on site to provide backup cooling power to the spent fuel bays. Some Guy from the IAEA rattled off a lot of words that amount to wagging his finger at both sides not to make a nuclear reactor a war zone. The Russians are making plans on extending the life of the reactors there and eventually restarting them, because that's a lotta power lost to Donetsk and Luhansk.

As can be expected, Zelensky's people are seething pretty hard about all that. Can't use the 'loss of offsite power' red herring anymore with the diesel generator backups running. Lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They are getting re-assigned to other brigades piecemeal so they cant group up and just decide to leave the front as a battalion

Probably should be demoted so they aren't even near a position of command.

Explains why they were interviewing that "former commander now junior sergeant" woman.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Danann posted:

Is this why there was a bunch of crying about Sirskyi being a butcher? Because he was actually exposing the political units to fighting?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, I would say the outcome of all of this is probably eventual European/Russian reconciliation in some degree because, honestly, a bunch of trade is already very quietly flowing from Russia to Europe and vice-verse regardless. It is just in the future the ball is going to be even more in Russia's court because they will have quite a bit more leverage if they have control of Ukraine.

Otherwise, the war spurred a bunch of needed reform of both the army and aspects of the economy and I don't think both are going to revert either.

At this point, it is hard not to see a long-term W for them.
--------------

For the US, they got to shut out Russia initially and pull the Europeans to their side, but honestly, they made Russia, which was only slowly coming back on the mend, into an entrenched opponent that is now pushing its influence outside the former Soviet Union. In addition, they have been stuck devoting a ton of munitions into a failed conflict while having to keep forces in Europe that can't be easily repositioned.

Furthermore, there probably will be long-term consequences for EU-US relations for the pointless sacrifice the EU made just to put themselves in a worse position.

The US got some benefits up front, but honestly the long-term cost may in fact be disasterous for them as the US can't correctly reposition toward the Pacific (and the Gaza war has made this even worse).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

CongoJack posted:

Is this why there was a bunch of crying about Sirskyi being a butcher? Because he was actually exposing the political units to fighting?

I'll say this for general Sirskyi, he may be a horrible general who wastes the lives of his men in hopeless counter attacks but the guy has never been photographed with a weird swastika bracelet or in front of a portrait of an ugly Nazi to my knowledge..

I think Sirskyi probably did enough to earn that nickname around Bakhmut last year, but there's no question that nickname and other similar ones (general 300) were being spread around when he took over by Zaluzhny's people and supporters. For one thing we know for a fact that Zaluzhny is fond of nicknames. Also known to be fond of trying to shift the blame for the way things were going onto anyone but himself.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Danann posted:

"And when Sirskyi was appointed, they were confronted with the fact that they must only do activities that are appropriate for their official position. They saw it as political persecution.

How much of a loving victim complex do you need to feel persecuted because you've been told to concentrate on your actual own loving job?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

Deng stays winning

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

NinjaPaco posted:

could someone also post angry zelenksky at that party

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

posting rare zelenskys

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

didnt someone buy a ghost of ukraine shirt

Slava Ukraini

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Where is my "Snake Island guy showing Russia the middle finger" tee?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I find it funny how the USA is the only player here when the EU is right next door and supposedly next on the list after Ukraine?

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Wall Street Journal

https://www.wsj.com/world/ukraines-chances-of-pushing-russia-out-look-increasingly-grim-3bc2075a

Ukraine’s Chances of Pushing Russia Out Look Increasingly Grim
By James Marson and Daniel Michaels | Photographs by Serhii Korovayny for The Wall Street Journal
Updated April 17, 2024 12:03 am ET

KYIV, Ukraine—On the battlefronts of the east, threadbare Ukrainian forces are doggedly holding on against mounting Russian assaults that are expected to crescendo in the summer.

Thinned air defenses struggle to stop Russian 1.5-ton guided bombs from pulverizing buildings. Front lines are held by a patchwork of units that are short of their full complement of troops. Halting armored columns depends largely on small explosive drones, given meager supplies of artillery shells.

“We are short of everything,” said one company commander operating around the embattled eastern city of Chasiv Yar.

The war in Ukraine is at a critical moment as it approaches a third summer. Russia’s greater size is weighing on its smaller neighbor, with waves of armored vehicles and soldiers grinding forward against exhausted Ukrainian units across a front line that arcs from the northeast to southeast.

Russian President Vladimir Putin’s strategy of outlasting Ukraine’s Western support is proving durable, and the coming months could turn the tide of the war decisively in Russia’s favor. Ukraine’s military is short on ammunition and battle-ready troops, as Congress has stalled on a supplemental aid package and Kyiv has dithered over calling up more men.

Without infusions of fresh manpower and Western military equipment, Ukraine could face further losses of its land and best troops, dimming any hope of taking back the nearly 20% of its territory already occupied.

To be sure, Russia is gaining ground very slowly and suffering heavy losses in personnel and equipment. If Ukraine can cling on this year and replenish its forces, it could seek to counterattack against a drained enemy.

But with the future of U.S. aid uncertain, and European countries unable to significantly increase assistance quickly, Ukraine’s prospects for turning the tables on Russia are dimming...

... Ukraine repulsed Russia’s initial assault on its capital, Kyiv, in 2022 and retook lost territory in the northeast and south. But a Ukrainian counteroffensive last year gained almost no ground at the cost of thousands of motivated troops.

Now, Russia is pushing to advance on several fronts. After seizing Avdiivka, Russian troops began pushing into villages to its west, but didn’t achieve a breakthrough.

A critical Russian target is the city of Chasiv Yar, located on heights to the west of Bakhmut, which Russia captured last year.

Taking Chasiv Yar, once home to just over 10,000 people, would open a path to attacking other cities, such as Kostyantynivka and Kramatorsk, in the eastern Donetsk region. The province is a key target for Putin, who has declared it annexed to Russia...

... Russia’s advantages in manpower and equipment are becoming harder to defend against.

While Russia has suffered considerable battlefield losses in Ukraine—including more than 2,000 tanks and 315,000 soldiers wounded or dead—its traditional land forces have been degraded far more than its air force and navy, said U.S. Army Gen. Christopher Cavoli, NATO’s current supreme allied commander, in testimony to the House Armed Services Committee on April 10.

“Russia is reconstituting that force far faster than our initial estimates suggested,” he said, adding that its army is now 15% larger than it was when it launched the full-scale invasion of Ukraine two years ago.

While larger in total troop numbers, Russia’s military lost many of its best troops in fighting over the past two years, analysts note...

... Ukraine’s lack of significant additional manpower means that losses are replaced piecemeal in units kept on the same part of the front for lengthy periods. While that means they are familiar with the lay of the land, it also creates a patchwork of units from various brigades that struggle to communicate and cooperate effectively.

Ukraine is moving its best units from one place on the front line to another. Battalions from the 3rd Assault Brigade, one of the army’s most powerful units, fought around Bakhmut last year, was sent into Avdiivka as defenses collapsed, then redeployed to near Kupyansk in the north.

Asked how they were holding the line with dwindling ammunition, an officer from the brigade said: “At the cost of lives.”

The best units, stacked with highly motivated volunteers and led by respected commanders, carry out their own recruiting campaigns and are oversubscribed. Others are struggling to replenish their ranks.

Kyiv this month has advanced legislation to widen the draft pool. Zelensky signed a law reducing the mobilization age to 25 from 27, and Parliament last week passed a bill offering bonuses for soldiers and penalties for draft dodgers.

But the changes will take time to filter through. The age of recruits remains a problem. One officer at a high-level training center said he is often presented with men in their 40s, some transferred from guard duty or recruiting centers. One died after suffering a heart attack during an exercise.

“Wars are won by young men,” he said.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

fizziester posted:

To be sure, Russia is gaining ground very slowly and suffering heavy losses in personnel and equipment. If Ukraine can cling on this year and replenish its forces, it could seek to counterattack against a drained enemy.

what do they die of though?

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

genericnick posted:

Source: Ukrainska Pravda

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/04/17/7451582/

Russia loses 710 soldiers, 18 armoured combat vehicles and 15 artillery systems over past day
IRYNA BALACHUK — WEDNESDAY, 17 APRIL 2024, 07:50

Ukraine’s Defence Forces continue to inflict losses on the Russian troops on Ukrainian soil. Over the past day alone, Russia lost 710 soldiers.

Source: General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on Facebook

Details: The total combat losses of the Russian forces between 24 February 2022 and 17 April 2024 are estimated to be as follows [figures in parentheses represent the latest losses – ed.]:

456,050 (+710) military personnel;
7,193 (+4) tanks;
13,827 (+18) armoured combat vehicles;
11,624 (+15) artillery systems;
1,046 (+0) multiple-launch rocket systems;
760 (+1) air defence systems;
347 (+0) fixed-wing aircraft;
325 (+0) helicopters;
9,279 (+2) strategic and tactical UAVs;
2,093 (+1) cruise missiles;
26 (+0) ships and boats;
1 (+0) submarines;
15,587 (+24) vehicles and tankers;
1,910 (+2) special vehicles and other equipment.
The information is being confirmed.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

genericnick posted:

I have been told that waves of massed groups of Russian soldiers are forced by officers (basically commissars) to rush through open fields where they are shot with rifles and machine guns by Ukrainian forces supposedly.

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 10:29 on Apr 17, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

I have been told that waves of massed groups of Russian soldiers are forced by officers (basically commissars) to rush through open fields where they are shot with rifles and machine guns by Ukrainian forces apparently.

hosed up

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

genericnick posted:

Well, you see, the blocking detachments positioned behind every Russian unit immediately shoot any soldier taking a single step back. But the Russian troopers are all such dumb orks that they don't understand the difference between forwards and backwards, so they move in a random direction at any given moment and the blocking detachments end up thinning them out at an exponential rate similar to radioactive decay.

Which means that in any given contact, roughly half of the Russian forces are destroyed by their own laughable military incompetence before the Ukrainians even show up and fire a shot!

You'd already know this if you stopped poisoning your mind with Kremlin propaganda and worked on your media literacy, tankie.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

OctaMurk posted:

we're doing this again:

This is an easy story to return to because Zelensky's government knows that their western supporters have the memories of goldfish.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Its treads are heavy and relentless. It never stops. They say it will never die. It trundles forward and backward and it is a great favourite. It never stops, the barn tank. It is trundling, trundling. They say it will never die.

https://twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1780313601485701570#m

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe China and/or India will win this war.

In the sense this disaster of a war means no-one is going to do anything other than make loud noises when China takes Taiwan.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it is pretty much cruising through the center of town without anything even trying to fire a RPG at it and that isn't a small (for the frontline) or insignificant place either. The war is getting in bit of a weird place where the Russians may just be actively hunting down AFU units at this point rather than fighting a conventional conflict (and in this case the barn tank is ridiculous bait).

There other takes on this forum that this shows how desperate the Russians are...sure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/wartracker4/status/1780350046539506026

is this just a guy from the past or are they doing this again?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Russia is just driving around in turtle tank waiting for the US election so they will walk over to Kyiv afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Truga posted:

https://twitter.com/wartracker4/status/1780350046539506026

is this just a guy from the past or are they doing this again?

it's back
https://twitter.com/sopjap/status/1775460572114440683#m